Power cables: What would it take to change your view?

plissken

Feb 24, 2017
Trust me...i too would love to get the full breakdown of every component...after all, i'm an audiophile and its fun to see these things. That said, i would be embarrassed to go bother a physician literally saving lives by saying...hey...what percentage of the uplift in performance was from this particular cable vs the power conditioner...and did you compare the Denali to the Venom, etc?

I wouldn't. My dentist was prior a mechanical engineer and the best dentist I ever experienced. He was into this stuff and great to shoot the **** with both in and out of office.

BTW, lest i forget to say it...i appreciate you are trying to be super specific about cables vs conditioners...i can respect that. But in a hobby/passion where sometimes we get NO scientific evidence at all...or very [very] suspect 'measurements'...i think it is a solid data point that these guys shelled out thousands of dollars on power cables [yes, yes...in addition to the power conditioners]...and i personally suspect the power conditioners did far more for the systems than the cables. That said, i am intrigued to see they also bought the power cables and have made them part of the standard set up for all their monitoring setups.

I'm a big fan of balanced power for noise reduction myself. I think that should be the first step in any system. Fully balanced from outlet to amp and everything in between.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
...I'm a big fan of balanced power for noise reduction myself. I think that should be the first step in any system. Fully balanced from outlet to amp and everything in between.

I have heard that from a number of people...we had the option to put something between the 'power coming in from the street' and the part of the panel running to the system. Mainly for cost reasons, we did not do it. But we have the future option to do so...is that what you recommend?

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
I have multiple lasers in my factory and had issues with banding , variable output and beam quality until I installed pure sine wave ac/dc/ac inverters for them.

plissken

Feb 24, 2017
I have heard that from a number of people...we had the option to put something between the 'power coming in from the street' and the part of the panel running to the system. Mainly for cost reasons, we did not do it. But we have the future option to do so...is that what you recommend?

Sub-panel and then something like Taurus.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I have multiple lasers in my factory and had issues with banding , variable output and beam quality until I installed pure sine wave ac/dc/ac inverters for them.

good to know. thanks.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Pictures of the noise spectra of an Audio Research preamplifier, single ended output with volume at 65. top - with a cheap power stock power cable. Lower - using a Shunyata Mamba. Sound unit was an EMU, nothing was changed between photos except the power cords. A second run returned similar values with a difference of .4 dB between power cords. There is no absolute calibration, but a CD with 1000Hz at -60 dB shows -70 dB. In balanced mode the mains peaks would reduce significantly. All equipment was connected exactly as if the CD was playing.

Attachments

• a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 105

Whatmore

Jun 2, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Pictures of the noise spectra of an Audio Research preamplifier, single ended output with volume at 65. top - with a cheap power stock power cable. Lower - using a Shunyata Mamba. Sound unit was an EMU, nothing was changed between photos except the power cords. A second run returned similar values with a difference of .4 dB between power cords. There is no absolute calibration, but a CD with 1000Hz at -60 dB shows -70 dB. In balanced mode the mains peaks would reduce significantly. All equipment was connected exactly as if the CD was playing.

there's some interesting hypotheses being posted.
All of which I suspect, are aimed at changing other people's minds.
This misses the point of the thread.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

If that test was what changed micro's mind, why does that miss the point of the thread?

That is unless you are addressing your post only to those that still haven't changed their opinions that power cords don't make any sonic differences. If that had been spelled out in our OP, a whole bunch us that shared our opinion changing experiences need not have bothered to take the time out to participate.

Whatmore

Jun 2, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
If that test was what changed micro's mind, why does that miss the point of the thread?

That is unless you are addressing your post only to those that still haven't changed their opinions that power cords don't make any sonic differences. If that had been spelled out in our OP, a whole bunch us that shared our opinion changing experiences need not have bothered to take the time out to participate.

As I've said before, I'm asking about what would change your current view.
So whilst it is interesting to read about the experiences that led to people's current view, that is specifically not what I'm asking about here.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

People with a different opinion posted in this thread interesting comments concerning measurements and power cables. It is natural we debate them in the thread.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
As I've said before, I'm asking about what would change your current view.
So whilst it is interesting to read about the experiences that led to people's current view, that is specifically not what I'm asking about here.

So if my current view is that they make a difference then you're asking what it would take to do a 180?

Whatmore

Jun 2, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
People with a different opinion posted in this thread interesting comments concerning measurements and power cables. It is natural we debate them in the thread.

If course. It is very interesting.
And this thread so far has been on the whole, polite and respectful. I believe part of the reason for this is that the emphasis has been on discussion rather than anyone trying to change anyone else's mind

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
See what I mean about misunderstandings? LOL

Tough one. No chart will change my mind and neither will an ABX given that I do measure and have conducted tests myself. I do think however that eventually my hearing will continue to degrade with age and at some point the differences will be so small or non-existent (no longer obvious) that I will simply go with the most basic requirement and that being that the system just works (like when my acoustics were so bad PCs were the last of my concerns). I will however continue to listen to music 'til I'm totally deaf or die, whichever comes first.

plissken

Feb 24, 2017

A tip I found helpful and use all the time:

Use the Windows Snipping Tool for screenshots. Or you can Alt-PrntScrn key combo. Would you test a Medical Grade shielded power cord?

Where was the .4dB at? What was it with balanced cabling and are you saying the balanced cabling made a larger difference than a power cord?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
A tip I found helpful and use all the time:

Use the Windows Snipping Tool for screenshots. Or you can Alt-PrntScrn key combo. Would you test a Medical Grade shielded power cord?

Where was the .4dB at? What was it with balanced cabling and are you saying the balanced cabling made a larger difference than a power cord?

Thanks - the software could create screnshots and save them, but the whole system was laying on the floor and it was much faster just taking photos of the screen with my cellphone. All measurements were carried in SE, my ADC does not have line level balanced inputs. The second runs were just to confirm if it the difference in noise was not hazardous.

Aperalim

Jun 4, 2012
Perth, Australia
Actually this thread is not about anything being used as proof to convince others. It's about what would convince anyone individually. It's therefore not relevant if that individual's proof is not to the liking of anyone else

With all due respect, perhaps what you are seeking is not something that anyone CAN reliably predict or anticipate but only something that can be known or understood once it has actually been experienced? I have been putting systems together for over 35 years and used a vast range of equipment over that time and rarely have expectations been perfectly matched by experience.

Whatmore

Jun 2, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
With all due respect, perhaps what you are seeking is not something that anyone CAN reliably predict or anticipate but only something that can be known or understood once it has actually been experienced? I have been putting systems together for over 35 years and used a vast range of equipment over that time and rarely have expectations been perfectly matched by experience.

A bit of imagination and an open mind is all that's required.
It's not that difficult really. Is it?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing