Power Cords for ARC REF 160Ms

wokeuptobose

VIP/Donor
Mar 26, 2021
I recently replaced my JC1+ amps with ARC 160Ms and am delighted with them. I was using a pair of Shunyata Sigma V2 power cords with great results, but of course I need 20 amp plugs instead of the 15 amp I have. I could try the Shunyata C15 to C19 adapters for a few hundred dollar investment to get a feel of how the Sigma V2s would sound with the 160Ms, but I am unsure what effect the adapters have. What do others think about the adapters as a permanent or trial solution? Has anyone done a shootout with power cords with the 160Ms? I realize each cable has a unique effect in each system, but I was looking to narrow my choices. Thanks.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Don't use an adapter for other than make it work now. Get a 20 amp cord. You spent a lot on equipment. Why half way it with the power supply.

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
I have used a VooDoo 15 to 20 amp adapter before. Sorry but I can't comment on how the adapter compared to a terminated 20 amp power cord. If my memory is correct, I don't remember thinking the adapter was a bad thing. But if I was buying new cables I would get one terminated with a 20 amp end.

This is the one I used:

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
I’ve just changed mine to furutech ds4.1 Ltd with rhodium ncf connectors on my Ref 250se’s and noticed a noise floor drop with a small expanse in the soundstage width and height. I previously used Viard mains cables and am pleased with the improvements
best of luck with your choice

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
There's very little in the high end audio world that's a bigger boondoggle than power cords.
Try the ESP cords. The Music Cord Pro comes w optional C19 connectors

If they're good enough for Victor Wooten, they're probably quite good indeed and for $250, they might be all you need unless you absolutely need a cord rated for 20 amps.

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
If they're good enough for Victor Wooten, they're probably quite good indeed and for $250, they might be all you need unless you absolutely need a cord rated for 20 amps.
Hmm that is an interesting statement. Not sure how much I would value a product based on someone's name. I love a lot of Victor Wooten's music but probably will not take his advice on my personal listening experience. Now this isn't to take away from the power cord. I'm sure it is an outstanding cord.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Hmm that is an interesting statement. Not sure how much I would value a product based on someone's name. I love a lot of Victor Wooten's music but probably will not take his advice on my personal listening experience. Now this isn't to take away from the power cord. I'm sure it is an outstanding cord.
You are correct. They may or may not be great cords for your needs. One thing is probably certain which is that they are great for bass as far as Victor is concerned. Whether they are great for all else, or your needs, remains to be seen. I only suggested them because it's hard to find substantial cables with a Nema 5-15P to C19 IEC connector at a fair price that are attractive to consider.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland

To stand out somewhat in cable land is quit difficult​

Stiff competition going on there

Kharma Enigma Extreme Signature Cables​

Siltech Emperor Double Crown Speaker Cable​

:)

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I second marty for the essential audio ( Victor wooten ) , apparently Ken stevens / CAT uses/ advises them.
And at a fair price
But may be they are to much of an enigma for an emperor with a double crown :)

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I have used these Shunyata adapters and they are quite fine - in fact I have compared the proper C19 cable with the C15 plus adapter and could not notice easily a difference, although using the old Shunyata Anaconda Helix's, not the Sigma. Still use the adapters very often, the VTL's, ARC's and even the CJ premier 350 also have these terrible C19 power connectors. Shunyata is an excellent match for Audio Research - the french distributor of Wilson Audio uses them in his own system with WAMM's and Audio Research Reference 160M's.

Just to try the cables you can get some cheap chinese C15/C19 adapters from eBay. They are not Ching Cheng ;) , but will not completely kill the Sigma power cables .

knghifi

Dec 6, 2014
When I had ARC REF250SE amps, wasn't interested re-terminating my Enklein David PCs so use VooDoo Premium 15 to 20 Amp IEC Adapters with great success.

Reactions: bryans

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
I’ve just changed mine to furutech ds4.1 Ltd with rhodium ncf connectors on my Ref 250se’s and noticed a noise floor drop with a small expanse in the soundstage width and height.

A most capable DIY recipe that should save one a good few $ £ Eu etc etc , were I in the market for custom build I would be looking at DaveC in the US or Mark / Sablon in the UK

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing