Preamp choice for GoldeGate2 and ATC SCM50 (~20-25k)

Bobofei86

Apr 11, 2021
Hi Alex
Thanks and I will check the Viva with local dealer too, but I have tried bespoke in my system but it’s not on the same league of others preamp I have tried, the direct out of the GG2 is much better than it, maybe a passive preamp doesn’t fit my system, it sounds really boring and lost the “groove” of the music,
thx
Joe

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
I know what a great preamp ( and one with good synergy ) can do for a system; but still am curious if you have investigated if it is easily possible to mod the input impedence of the ATC to a higher amount?

Bobofei86

Apr 11, 2021
Hi Solypsa,

thanks and I havent check this option yet, I heard from the ATC expert their speakers need a high current to drive properly, that’s why they design their flagship preamp to offer 10ohm to match with their active speakers which is 10kohm to maximise their performance, on the other hand the modification on Lampi may cause the lost in tone and dynamic as well and I prefer a preamp to do the bridge the gap,

I thought a TVC passive preamp will help which do minimal changes and more transparent, while it can help to match the impedance as well, however I was very disappointed with Bespoke copper version which is the worst one in my shootout (Total 4 I have tried)

It’s a dilemma for me to scarify the tone & clarity vs the bass & scale based on the preamp I tried already, but honestly I prefer GG2 direct out which make everything sounds so coherent and real, I think a proper preamp can offer both but it’s very challenging to find, that’s why I shortlisted both Aries Cerat and Pilium base on the feedback from a few experienced Lampi users,

However, I will try to contact ATC again and see any feedback about this kind of modification, thanks for your idea and remind me sometimes we need to override this kind of assumption and go back to basic for a solution

thx

Reactions: Solypsa

K3RMIT

Sep 4, 2020
I would get an active preamp to me while sone love a passive there no where to go if you need gain. the gg2 is not a low imp output and varies on tubes. somewhere from 1 to 2 k I recall and don’t hold me to it.
If the amps are 10k that’s not hard but typically lower then some. low imp does mean more current so cable specs matter. As for the preamp. Very few preamps have a 10 ohm output imp and is this S.E. or bal.
a SS pre is a better place to start and it being active you find it’s sweet spot in gain to get the pre there.
consider how long you’re interconnects
maybe as sone can’t drive longer runs.

Reactions: Bobofei86

jackelsson

Dec 1, 2013
.de
FWIW I'm using a Pass XP-30 with my ATC SCM150 and the overall sound is both warm and colorful as well as pretty transparent. And this even with a 10m XLR run between preamp and ATCs.

I know the XP-30 is old news nowadays but if you have a Pass dealer nearby maybe you might want to consider giving the XP-32 a try.

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
Hi Gents,

Im searching a preamp for a while to solve the impedance mis matching between my Lampizator GG2 and ATC SCM50 active (1.6kohm to 10kohm), actually i really like the sounds of the analog output from my GG2, but the bass and overall picture is limited and cause low frequency lost due to the mismatched...

I planned for around 20-25k budget and heard a few preamp already, However, most of them changed the tone and lost the transparency of my GG2. Really appreciate you guys advice which brand are more transparent or close to the tone of GG2 (Tubes: RK242 + GZ480)

Thanks so much
Joe

Thomas Mayer 10Y Silver.

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
The Riviera hybrids have a big jump in performance on changing the one valve they have to a Mullard, as we found in Gian's friend's system
This is hugely true. The stock JJ suck big time.

Much media coverage refers to Mullard replacements however I will admit to not generally being a fan of their UK production and found the pinched waist (Dutch) Amperex I had stashed away to give a step change level improvement across the board. On my to do list are Siemens 3 mica and MOV A2900.

Reactions: bonzo75

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
This is hugely true. The stock JJ suck big time.

Much media coverage refers to Mullard replacements however I will admit to not generally being a fan of their UK production and found the pinched waist (Dutch) Amperex I had stashed away to give a step change level improvement across the board. On my to do list are Siemens 3 mica and MOV A2900.

I just got to experiment with a particular Mullard at Gian's friend's place. That was a significant change. If others are better, great..

DHT4ME

Apr 12, 2021
Las Vegas
The Veloce' LS1 battery preamp with the magic dated reflektor 6H30 tubes in the most transparent preamp I have heard to date.

davenrk

Nov 27, 2020
why don't you upgrade the ATCs to 100 or 150 with such important upstream chain?

Bobofei86

Apr 11, 2021
why don't you upgrade the ATCs to 100 or 150 with such important upstream chain?
Hi Davenrk, i tried them both but honestly i dont like 150 which the bass is too 'slow' to me, especially i listen lots of metal and hardcore stuffs which prefer a 'faster sound'

Pros and cons for both 100 and 50, 100 get a bigger picture and bass response but i need to put some effort to deal with the room acoustic in my apartment, 50 is more balance but bass shy whem compare with its bigger brother, however it's easier for me to get the best sound out of the box, cost differenec is minimal between 100 and 50 and i make my decision based on the type of music i listen and apartment size

Reactions: bonzo75

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi Davenrk, i tried them both but honestly i dont like 150 which the bass is too 'slow' to me, especially i listen lots of metal and hardcore stuffs which prefer a 'faster sound'

Pros and cons for both 100 and 50, 100 get a bigger picture and bass response but i need to put some effort to deal with the room acoustic in my apartment, 50 is more balance but bass shy whem compare with its bigger brother, however it's easier for me to get the best sound out of the box, cost differenec is minimal between 100 and 50 and i make my decision based on the type of music i listen and apartment size

Cool. It takes some maturity to pass up bigger speakers of the same brand which are a tempting upgrade, to settle for smaller ones which suit the acoustics better

• Haha

Bobofei86

Apr 11, 2021
I understand, how big is your room in square metres now?
Half of the living room I can use for the stereo system (left hand size) which is around 20sqm, I don’t need to use any bass trap and I can turn the volume up and squeeze the potential from my 50 in a quite loud volume :)

Bobofei86

Apr 11, 2021
Cool. It takes some maturity to pass up bigger speakers of the same brand which are a tempting upgrade, to settle for smaller ones which suit the acoustics better
Thx Bonzo75, maybe I’m abnormal but based on my testing with both models I think 50 is the most balanced and close to the “monitor sound” which I prefer, I think 100 is better to play for classical music or sth you need a deep bass to provide that atmosphere, but for those hardcore stuffs I think 50 sound the best to me

fr.jazbec

Apr 4, 2021
www.roemmer-collmann.com
My ATC SCM 100 ASLT FF are working phantastic with Audionet Pre1G3+EPS powersupply.
This is the only english review I know. It is without the EPS and this is a great upgrade.
Another test with EPS from a german HiFi Magazin.

Last edited:

Zappadaddy

Dec 27, 2020
Czech rep
Finally i blind buy Aries Cerat Incito S to match my Lampi, hopefully it can arrive before Xmas, thx guys
so what results Incito brought you? Can you share?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing