Preamp for Luxman m900u (c900u or Mola Mola Makua+DAC)

yyzSB

May 14, 2017
I am hoping to get some feedback from anyone who has heard a Mola Mola Makua preamp with the Luxman m900u amp. The obvious choice for me would be to get the Luxman c900u preamp but I am trying to save on the number of components since this will be an office system is a smallish room. I can squeeze in the c900u + an additional DAC box but aesthetically it would be better if I could consolidate the preamp and DAC into 1 component, such as the Mola Mola Makus w/DAC..

I have considered the Luxman 509x integrated and after an audition it was not preferred compared to the Luxman 900 series separates. I have not heard the Mola Mola Makua with the Luxman gear. I have heard Mola Mola Makua with the Mola Mola amps. I am not interested in those amps and want to get the Luxman m900u amp., which I liked a lot.

I was told by one person that Luxman m900u sounds better with the Makua preamp over Luxman's c900u. However, there are some biases in that persons evaluation. So I am looking for some more feedback from anyone who may have tried this combo.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Is that system digital-only, analog-only or both?

yyzSB

May 14, 2017
2 analog sources which I use 25% of the time and digital streaming and local FLAC files are the other 75% of listening.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Seems like the Mola Mola is a good choice indeed, as it does have phono and DAC built-in. I don't have experience with it with the Luxman, but it's very good value on its own. And it's compact :)

Datka

May 21, 2021
I was debating and was looking for a preamp for m900 u , went with cl1000 skipping c900

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
Hello,

I have heard the M900u and also the Makua but not paired together. I have spent quite a bit of time with the Makua. I like it with built in DAC and also like Tambaqui separate. Like you I am not so sure about the Mola amps. If you are looking for a compact solution then I think the Makua would be an awesome choice. Interesting that, to me, it has a warmish sound similar to Luxman. Of note is that for the Makua you are going to use your phone as the remote. It is pretty modern in the way you interface with and control it.

Reactions: Scott W

yyzSB

May 14, 2017
I ended up getting a Benchmark HPA4 preamp and also a CODA 07x preamp. They are both amazing. The HPA4 is crystal clear and has no sound to it. The CODA is a little warmer but with all the details.

The CODA also has dual XLR outputs (I believe like the Makua). I have both preamps on the same rack. I have 2 sets of 15 foot XLRs connected to each preamp's output.

I am going to demo the CODA #8 and #16 amps shortly to pair with these 2 preamps. If it is better or comparable to the Luxman m900u I will go with the CODA.

lightmentat

Dec 6, 2021
I ended up getting a Benchmark HPA4 preamp and also a CODA 07x preamp. They are both amazing. The HPA4 is crystal clear and has no sound to it. The CODA is a little warmer but with all the details.

The CODA also has dual XLR outputs (I believe like the Makua). I have both preamps on the same rack. I have 2 sets of 15 foot XLRs connected to each preamp's output.

I am going to demo the CODA #8 and #16 amps shortly to pair with these 2 preamps. If it is better or comparable to the Luxman m900u I will go with the CODA.
So what did you end going with and why? Thanks.

yyzSB

May 14, 2017
I just wrote this today.

I am listening to the RAAL SR1a headphones with my CODA 07x and new KRELL 175XD amp. The CODA #8 amp is hooked up to the speakers. On Friday, I will switch the amps between the speakers and headphones. I sold the HPA4 (made money on that) and bought the Benchmark LA4, since I only listen to the SR1a when I use headphones.

I just noticed this is the Luxman thread. I saw a unit for sale on USAudiomart.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing