Price increase

akatora

Apr 5, 2012
Does anyone know what the new prices will look like for the S1 and S5 after 1/1 - 2014? I read that they will increase.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
I think only S5 will increase by about 3K to around $32,500 for the basic finish. Everything else will probably stay the same.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Anyone tired of Magico constantly increasing their pricing?

Anytime I get interested in their products they raise their prices and it turns me off.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
As long as they have more orders than what they can produce they can get away with it. At some point orders will drop off, and either prices will come down, or a new improved model will be introduced. The price increase does make the new Wilson Sasha W/P 2 more attractive.

stereo

Sep 1, 2012
As long as they have more orders than what they can produce they can get away with it. At some point orders will drop off, and either prices will come down, or a new improved model will be introduced. The price increase does make the new Wilson Sasha W/P 2 more attractive.

The right point of comparison for the S5 is the Alexia, not the Sasha (both from a driver configuration and sound quality point of view).
Even with price increase the S5 remains significantly cheaper than the Alexia, while being designed with more expensive parts, so I am not shocked by the price uptick.

The S3 has been probably launched to go after the Sasha buyers: same drivers configuration, more expensive parts, better sound (imho) and 5k cheaper.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
The right point of comparison for the S5 is the Alexia, not the Sasha (both from a driver configuration and sound quality point of view).
Even with price increase the S5 remains significantly cheaper than the Alexia, while being designed with more expensive parts, so I am not shocked by the price uptick.

The S3 has been probably launched to go after the Sasha buyers: same drivers configuration, more expensive parts, better sound (imho) and 5k cheaper.

When the S5 first came out at $27K, it was shortly after the Sasha introduction and the Sasha was also priced around $27K. I would compare the Q3 to the Alexia, though the voicing of the S5 is probably closer to that of the Alexia with the slightly warmer, more impactful bass.

stereo

Sep 1, 2012
When the S5 first came out at $27K, it was shortly after the Sasha introduction and the Sasha was also priced around $27K. I would compare the Q3 to the Alexia, though the voicing of the S5 is probably closer to that of the Alexia with the slightly warmer, more impactful bass.
you should compare specs. Specs are facts, pricing is a management decision....

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

It seems to me that pricing is also a fact and specs are also a management decision.

When the S5 was introduced, the Alexia did not exist, but the Sasha did. That is primarily why I think the S5 was Magico's response to Wilson's successful launch of the Sasha. But I don't really know what Alon Wolf was thinking. Both companies are trying to have a fairly comprehensive line of speakers at various price points. Relative value is quite another thing and is determined by the customer.

Last edited:

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

Really now? Since when? In what way as it can be related in terms of sound quality with regards to a speaker?

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Wilson Sasha also went up from $26900 to $29900.

stereo

Sep 1, 2012
Really now? Since when? In what way as it can be related in terms of sound quality with regards to a speaker?

oh, I forgot, we are talking about an industry where only thing which matters is voodoo science and good marketing.... at least for some vendors

ricjor1

Oct 13, 2012
Wilson Sasha also went up from $26900 to $29900.

I was considering going from Sashas to S5s or Sasha 2s; however I recently picked-up a pair of Revel F52s for home theater and decided to pursue Revel Studio 2s or Salons for 2 channel. I'm not suggesting the F52s sound better than Sashas, but considering the price difference, they have encouraged me to listen to the more expensive Revels. It goes along with the price increase theme...why Sasha 2s or S5s at almost 10-15K more than Revels? I for one am tired of paying 10K or more for what I submit are incremental improvements.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I was considering going from Sashas to S5s or Sasha 2s; however I recently picked-up a pair of Revel F52s for home theater and decided to pursue Revel Studio 2s or Salons for 2 channel. I'm not suggesting the F52s sound better than Sashas, but considering the price difference, they have encouraged me to listen to the more expensive Revels. It goes along with the price increase theme...why Sasha 2s or S5s at almost 10-15K more than Revels? I for one am tired of paying 10K or more for what I submit are incremental improvements.

I'd certainly take the Salon 2

ricjor1

Oct 13, 2012
I'd certainly take the Salon 2

I briefly heard the Studios and it's my understanding that the Salon 2s are better...I'm 100% sure I'm moving from Wilson to Revel for 2 channel. I could live happily with the F52s until I can get Studios 2s or Salon 2s.

clab

Feb 12, 2012
traveling but based in Switzerland
some time ago, Alon Wolf justified the increase in price because of the € / $ increasing change as he builds european parts like Mundorf in his speakers.

but now that the $ is increasing against € ???

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
some time ago, Alon Wolf justified the increase in price because of the € / $ increasing change as he builds european parts like Mundorf in his speakers.

but now that the $ is increasing against € ???

Do manufacturers ever drop their prices once they have increased them?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
No but dealers who can't move their own stock do.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
No but dealers who can't move their own stock do.

It also seems as if some models stay in a company's product line even after a replacement model has been announced, allowing the dealers to sell the old inventory. Once the inventory is gone, the model is discontinued and dropped from the website, or at least this is what appears to be happening in some cases.

There have been examples of Magico speakers which perform better than the models they replace AND actually cost the same or less when they are introduced: ie, the M5/Q5, V3/S5, and Mini2/Q1. Though, over time the models' prices do increase. This could be a result of Magico's new in-house manufacturing capabilities. Contrast that to certain manufacturers who come out with a new cartridge, amplifier or cable costing much more than the previous model with performance gains that are marginal at best.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Do manufacturers ever drop their prices once they have increased them?

No, but sometimes new models are cheaper than those that they replace - Sasha for example was like $1k less than W/P 8.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing