PS Audio BHK 250/300

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Agree that bloke can sell IceCreams to Eskimos:p!-- But his sly digs at opposition products is big letdown--yes the BHK Amp --I've heard it --is excellent--pity about the Digital stuff and PowerPlants --they're not up to snuff .

BruceD
I don't want to derail this thread, but if you could clarify this post? You don't think the Direct Stream DAC is a competitive product?

Avidlistener

Feb 18, 2013
Bruce I'm wondering was it the DS or the previous product, the PWD you didn't like ? The DS has been continually reviewed as the among the very best and is very analog like, (as in master tape)

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Guys --just my personal opinion over listening to both the PS Audio DS products transport and Dac with the BHK Amp on a dedicated dealer demo--with B+W Diamonds --while the Amp delivered --the Digital was too much of good thing

yes the product gets kudos and I may quantise my observation to suggest anyone with a sound that is too "laid back" would appreciated these items as the apparent forwardness possibly would be to their liking

Sorry just too "digital" to me--but like I state may appeal in some quarters -just not mine:(

Won't dwell on the Power Plants--I'd leave them out of a Hi End system-sorry but YVMV

The Bascom King Amp is a wonder stroke for the company though

BruceD

Avidlistener

Feb 18, 2013
While I haven't heard b&w diamond in many years I do remember the treble being a bit discontinuous with the rest of the spectrum. If you're ever in NYC stop by and maybe I can change your mind.

Hyperion

Oct 3, 2011
Stockholm/Sweden
Guys --just my personal opinion over listening to both the PS Audio DS products transport and Dac with the BHK Amp on a dedicated dealer demo--with B+W Diamonds --while the Amp delivered --the Digital was too much of good thing

yes the product gets kudos and I may quantise my observation to suggest anyone with a sound that is too "laid back" would appreciated these items as the apparent forwardness possibly would be to their liking

Sorry just too "digital" to me--but like I state may appeal in some quarters -just not mine:(

Won't dwell on the Power Plants--I'd leave them out of a Hi End system-sorry but YVMV

The Bascom King Amp is a wonder stroke for the company though

BruceD

I honestly believe that you've experienced one or two of these things during this demo: 1) a new Direct Stream DAC unit not fully broken in and/or 2) a pair of B&W :)

The DS Dac's from PS Audio are anything but "digital" and "forward" sounding, I assure you.

/ Marcus

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I agree. It's most likely the B&W doing its thing... That is one very smooth DAC, almost exceedingly so...

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Yes guys you both make good points --but my thoughts go back to the dealer demo--advertised to accent the virtues of both those products -- so why pitch them together and get negative reaction?--there was 4 listeners present 3 being prospective buyers and

all of us expressed the same reasons as I outlined above .

The Rep for PS and B+W was supervising the Auditioning--makes you wonder how he got the job--no?

Like I said great Amp tho;)

BruceD

Hyperion

Oct 3, 2011
Stockholm/Sweden
I can only tell you what we've experienced over here basically - which I believe is in line with what I hear from most other sources. I've had quite a few DAC's passing through, where the DS DAC's are certainly among the most natural, fluid and musical sounding in contrast to the majority which are usually more restrained and rigid in character - generally speaking.

Avidlistener

Feb 18, 2013
And supposedly the new firm wear/OS for the directstream will make it even better sounding. Also PS's new less expensive dac with network card built in sounds very close if not identical to the DS.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
I don't want to derail this thread, but if you could clarify this post? You don't think the Direct Stream DAC is a competitive product?

..have at it guys...this puppy was derailed eons ago :( ;)

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I owned many dacs also the pwt . The ds is a good dac but falls short of playing Music . It does have nice sounds and does not fatigue and has good clarity . What it lacks is weight of notes and this makes it not as musical as it should be . I owned it till about a month or so ago . Pikes peak and Yale finally broke it away fromots warm state and my hope was the next firmware would add weight . The pwt was nice but never made me like it period it to is sold . I used the ds with a custom server and the regen . It's a really nice sounding dac except for what I said . Now I like ps audio in general and am going to audition the BHK monos soon on my IRS v setup. Now here is odd thought . I sold my old Krells a while back and currently use aragons 8008Bb. Now here come mets the odd part BHK and Dagastino designed the Amps . And to add to it my nudel of infinity hired BHK to make an amp for his infinity line . My thought is Paul,is going for the fences and is using all he knows to make a great amp . Somehow all involved I have been listening too most of my life . In short I have to try the amps. . Next Paul's regens for me in any way are a great value in making better sound and keeps my sytem consistent . I am an electrical contractor by trade and the amount and gauges of wire I used in my room is crazy and his regen still improves all . The only device it does not help is my 40 msb stack . But it is on its own circuit too.
That's my take on it . And it's my honest view no bull.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Al,

I do agree with you about the Directstream, but may I ask, did you try it with a preamp, or going directly to amp(s)?
The difference is noticeable, mostly in the weight of notes, as you mentioned. But I do agree that, overall, it's on the softer, gentler side of digital.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I did and yes it helps but in the end I bought other Dacs that just were on other levels.
I owns msb stack plat 4 plus with galaxy clock upgrade and all other options
I also own a b7 lampi it out performs my msb now. I use both headphones and Speakers

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing