PS Audio power Plant

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Until 2004 i had a weaving factory with my own power plant with a transformer of 500 KW,380 volt, and one line directly from this power plant directly to my room for my system.

Now i have the will to try some of this stupid box.

Reactions: bonzo75

MRJAZZ

Industry Expert
Jan 20, 2014
Ciao,
now too hot,
will try early september

I don't know if try P 15 or P 20

As i think is better use my CH M1 mono directly to the wall,and i will use for TT,pre and phono,i don't know if try P15 or P 20.
Sound seems to be same,and both have enough power for all.
I will see

The P20 will easily handle the CH M1 mono’s....just make sure you use the 20 amp connection.....Check out a recent STEREOPHILE review by Jason Serinus. He was sceptical that it ( the P20) would handle his PASS 200.1 class A monos...but it did and it was much better than plugging them directly into the wall socket.....
Cheers.....

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
I just remembered something. I get better sound out of my P10, no question. But the thing that really bugged the hell out of me, was the 3am listening beat the pants off daytime listening. It happened like clockwork, and for years. It finally dawned on me, it was noise in the mains, and no double clipped sine wave as well. Now I get 24/7 3am standard (and some).

To DDK's posts. I was a doubter as well, until it smacked me in the face ears....

jeffreybehr

Dec 16, 2018
Phoenix, Arizona USA
www.flickr.com
My newish P20 replaced a BPT Ultra-3.5, 20-Amp, balanced-power p-con. Both were/are driven by a dedicated 20-Amp branch circuit and drive everything in my system but the projector.. The overall sounds of my system improved when I installed the BPT years ago, and the sounds improved again when I installed the P20.
2019Jul08_1040357_P20_1500w.jpg
It sits on six ISOAcoustics ISOPucks.. The 'minimountainrange' I found in the trash at the granite store; it's a remnant of the big piece (all 1.2"/3cm thick) I used for the rest of my equipment-rack shelves.
Shelfslab2B_1500w.jpg

Hipper

Jun 12, 2011
Hertfordshire, UK
I have had the P10 for about four years after a trial of a few other options - conditioners, balanced mains and regenerators. I wrote a little report on it:

'The PS Audio P10 costs £4,400! It is passively cooled, does not (in my system) run hot, and has nine UK sockets on the back split into five isolated zones, two zones meant for high powered stuff, amps. It weighs 38Kg, bloody heavy! This was absolutely quiet, and seems to have been well designed with touch screen operation and on-off switch (circuit breaker). You can also adjust the voltage output to what you want. For example it came set to 240 volts but my supply seems to range from 231-236 volts when I listen so I adjusted it to 230 volts. Frequency can't be adjusted so it uses the local frequency (UK 50Hz). I could hear a tiny amount of amp hum but never became loud (this was a problem with my U.S. designed amp). However with more use I don't hear it anymore and I'm wondering if the P10 made things so quiet that it became more noticeable. This was the best performer in my system. By putting it on decent feet, an anti-vibration platform and using the Shunyata Python power cord it improved noticeably further.

What are these improvements I hear? This is my experience, with anti-vibration products, power supply gear, and CD treatment (cleaning etc.). They all seem to reduce noise so giving more detail, more space around each instrument, less smeared transients (the 'hit' of tom toms for example). This means things like piano, rhythm guitar, harmony vocals become clearer, less smudged. Once you 'get' this (I didn't know what to expect and only came across this from internet reading) music becomes even more enjoyable. Is it worth the cost? Probably not but like anti vibration products, it offers a unique improvement not possible in other ways.'

I run everything (CD transport, DAC, equaliser, amp) through the P10 and have never felt any limitations. My power source is pretty clean I have to say so it is definitely a case of trialling it first. I just like the principle of regeneration.

Reactions: christoph

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I have had the P10 for about four years after a trial of a few other options - conditioners, balanced mains and regenerators. I wrote a little report on it:

'The PS Audio P10 costs £4,400! It is passively cooled, does not (in my system) run hot, and has nine UK sockets on the back split into five isolated zones, two zones meant for high powered stuff, amps. It weighs 38Kg, bloody heavy! This was absolutely quiet, and seems to have been well designed with touch screen operation and on-off switch (circuit breaker). You can also adjust the voltage output to what you want. For example it came set to 240 volts but my supply seems to range from 231-236 volts when I listen so I adjusted it to 230 volts. Frequency can't be adjusted so it uses the local frequency (UK 50Hz). I could hear a tiny amount of amp hum but never became loud (this was a problem with my U.S. designed amp). However with more use I don't hear it anymore and I'm wondering if the P10 made things so quiet that it became more noticeable. This was the best performer in my system. By putting it on decent feet, an anti-vibration platform and using the Shunyata Python power cord it improved noticeably further.

What are these improvements I hear? This is my experience, with anti-vibration products, power supply gear, and CD treatment (cleaning etc.). They all seem to reduce noise so giving more detail, more space around each instrument, less smeared transients (the 'hit' of tom toms for example). This means things like piano, rhythm guitar, harmony vocals become clearer, less smudged. Once you 'get' this (I didn't know what to expect and only came across this from internet reading) music becomes even more enjoyable. Is it worth the cost? Probably not but like anti vibration products, it offers a unique improvement not possible in other ways.'

I run everything (CD transport, DAC, equaliser, amp) through the P10 and have never felt any limitations. My power source is pretty clean I have to say so it is definitely a case of trialling it first. I just like the principle of regeneration.

Yes, the P10 sounds great. However I also noticed inexplicably that some mains transformers emitted more mechanical hum when using it, even set at lower voltage- we should expect that less distortion would imply less vibration. Anyway I can't understand why European units can not be set to 60 Hz, as I did with older PS Audio units - power transformers operate much better at 60 Hz than 50 Hz.

Some time ago I read in a forum that may be it is due to US manufacturers pressure on PSAudio in order to avoid grey imports of 60 Hz US equipment that does not operate when it detects 50 Hz , but it is hard to believe.

Reactions: christoph

Hipper

Jun 12, 2011
Hertfordshire, UK
Yes, the P10 sounds great. However I also noticed inexplicably that some mains transformers emitted more mechanical hum when using it, even set at lower voltage- we should expect that less distortion would imply less vibration. Anyway I can't understand why European units can not be set to 60 Hz, as I did with older PS Audio units - power transformers operate much better at 60 Hz than 50 Hz.

Some time ago I read in a forum that may be it is due to US manufacturers pressure on PSAudio in order to avoid grey imports of 60 Hz US equipment that does not operate when it detects 50 Hz , but it is hard to believe.

Before the PS10 I had a Shunyata Hydra Power Conditioner. I got amp hum through that too, only worse. It would be intermittent - some days nothing, other days it would come and go. There was nothing obvious like a fridge coming on so all I could guess (from a bit of research) is that the design for the U.S. 50Hz arrangement meant problems when using 60Hz. The hum was at 150Hz - I could see it on REW measurements.

I have an English made Nord amp and it is extremely quiet. In other words it is the U.S. amp (Son of Ampzilla 2000), not the PS10 that causes this.

I would imagine the same issue may occur with a British amp used in the U.S.?

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I have PS Audio P 20.
Is not simple to find exact difference with and without because i connected L1 P1 X1 and 2 turntable and the 16 A M 1 output,
Sound seems more relax and natural and more depth in my system but i didnt go back to previous situation.
M1,20 ampere output are connected to the wall,even if using always no more than 2 watt in my system i can connect to P 20,but i become lazy and never tried

Mendel

Feb 13, 2012
GTA
I have a PS Audio PPP. It stopped working about a year ago. I think I liked it at the time for source components and preamp but always preferred my Rogue tube amp directly connected to the wall. I asked Dan Santoni, a very respected tech in southern Ontario about repairing the unit but he refused. Said he gets a lot of requests to service them as they are always breaking down, but they are so difficult to service that he won’t take them on anymore.
For what it’s worth……

Reactions: Birdwatcher

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing