Purist Audio Umbilical Cables for Aesthetix Io

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
The Aesthetix Io phono stage connects to one or two power supplies via multi-conductor umbilical cables. Purist Audio, at least for a time, offered aftermarket umbilical cables for this dedicated purpose.

Has anyone used these Purest Audio umbilical cables for the Io?

If so, what differences in sound did you perceive between the Purist Audio umbilical cables and the stock Aesthetix umbilical cables?

Last edited:

pweg

Jun 7, 2014
Australia
Ron - i cant answer ur question other than to say i use an almost full loom of Purist cables and love them. Sound is very dependent on the model - there is not a house sound.

i know, like me, you are very conscious of the upper mids and high frequencies and thats where i fell Purist is really great especially with the copper models

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
The Aesthetix Io phono stage connects to one or two power supplies via multi-conductor umbilical cables. Purist Audio, at least for a time, offered aftermarket umbilical cables for this dedicated purpose.

Has anyone used these Purest Audi umbilical cables for the Io?

If so, what differences in sound did you perceive between the Purist Audio umbilical cables and the stock Aesthetix umbilical cables?

For aftermarket that seems like a very specialized power cable. Have you asked Jim Aud what his goal was in making them and how their use makes a difference from stock?

oldvinyl

Jun 3, 2017
Specific Northwest - Seattle area
I got the specs for the umbilical cables and sent them with my cables to Audience. They built a new set that improved the Io’s performance. The new cables are shielded and reduce hum and grunge. Bass is improved as are all others aspects of the sound. Most notable is noise floor reduction compared to stock cable. Well worth the upgrade for long term Io user. I have had the Io for over twenty years - it has been upgraded to Eclipse with 2 power supplies and volume control.

A less expensive upgrade is to use KT-66 in the power supply to replace the EL34. Of course KT-66 is getting harder to find. Also need longer screws and spacers for the top for clearance if the KT-66s are used.

audioquest4life

Sep 23, 2020
Do you still have the specs for the IO umbilical cord? How did you approach Audience for this request? What was the turnaround time to complete this? My IO is at Aesthetix for a partial Eclipse upgrade with two power supplies. May consider this upgrade but Aesthetix told me they have newer umbilical cords and may replace mine if it is require. I have had the IO since 2006.

Ovenmitt

Nov 21, 2017
I got the specs for the umbilical cables and sent them with my cables to Audience. They built a new set that improved the Io’s performance. The new cables are shielded and reduce hum and grunge. Bass is improved as are all others aspects of the sound. Most notable is noise floor reduction compared to stock cable. Well worth the upgrade for long term Io user. I have had the Io for over twenty years - it has been upgraded to Eclipse with 2 power supplies and volume control.

A less expensive upgrade is to use KT-66 in the power supply to replace the EL34. Of course KT-66 is getting harder to find. Also need longer screws and spacers for the top for clearance if the KT-66s are used.

I owned an Aesthetix Callisto Signature for a number of years. I agree with that they are great pre-amps and wanted to second the notion of @oldvinyl and swapping out the EL34's for KT66's. It was a really nice improvement in my system. I only had one PS and used GEC gray glass, late’50’s vintage tubes. Swapping the 6922's and 12ax7's for NOS made a big difference too.

Years ago, I talked with Albert Porter about the umbilical swap, a using Purist made loom. I think I remember that he had also changed his internal wiring to Purist as well. All of this is a bit foggy at this point, but I do remember that the umbilicals were pricey.

Last edited:

oldvinyl

Jun 3, 2017
Specific Northwest - Seattle area
Do you still have the specs for the IO umbilical cord? How did you approach Audience for this request? What was the turnaround time to complete this? My IO is at Aesthetix for a partial Eclipse upgrade with two power supplies. May consider this upgrade but Aesthetix told me they have newer umbilical cords and may replace mine if it is require. I have had the IO since 2006.
Do you still have the specs for the IO umbilical cord?
- yes, send me a message, I can email it to you
- if that doesn't work, just let me know if you proceed with Audience, I will send them the specs again

How did you approach Audience for this request?
- I called them and discussed what I was interested in
- I had to send them the info on the wiring connections and connectors needed

What was the turnaround time to complete this?
- a couple weeks when I did it
- my guess is that it depends on what they have in their queue and resources available

The important aspect of the upgraded umbilicals is that each individual wire is shielded, and there is a shield over the whole set of wires. If I recall, they had to figure out how to connect all those shields to ground since it was a rather small space to work in.

Reactions: audioquest4life

OGH

Oct 9, 2020
Looking forward to more listener reports - does the upgrade help the sound or is it marginal.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
It does make sense to me that having an improved shield around the power umbilical cord might reduce noise getting into the audio control unit.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing