Qobuz vs. Tidal? Which one is better?

nickif

May 17, 2013
Asking because I found myself prefer Qobuz over Tidal on the road, would love to enjoy it more with my speakers too.

Vicov

Apr 25, 2019
Just curious what’s the best way of streaming Qobuz with best sound quality possible?SGM? MP? anyone?
Absolutely, why not. Go with the best SQ that your internet bandwidth will deliver.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Bump!

Any additional thoughts?

Any rational explanations as to why the two services sound different?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I like Tidal. I found Qobuz unacceptable on its' face. Just my opinion

Last edited:

rando

Sep 22, 2019
I like Tidal. I found Qobuz unacceptable on its' face. Just my opinion

Even after applying a red pen to your post :p it seems to me you don't quite understand why Qobuz is so well received on the Continent and incurred every possible issue stateside.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
For me every possible issue save one.SOUND.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Ok. I'll give Qobuz another chance.

Reactions: rando and timztunz

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
I recently switched from Tidal to Quobuz and I don't think I'll ever go back to Tidal. Tidal was decent but it kept having technical issues for me and the last issue in combination of a certain person buying Tidal was the last straw. When I switched, I noticed that the sound quality was better on the majority of the things I listened to. I was not expecting that.

I was also not expecting their library to be as expansive as it is. This may not have been the case when this thread was started but I really see no difference in selection(s). Some genre's have more, some less.....with both Tidal and Quobuz.

Given that the sound quality is noticeably better with Quobuz and at a lower price than the Tidal subscription I had, I don't think at this point I will ever look back.

Typically, I am not a subscriber to "convenience" formats but I do use this while in the office (a couple of rooms away) during business hours when I am working from home. It is nice to be able to listen to the rig at any given volume level, switch songs and mute the system when a phone call comes in....all from the computer at the office. While I still won't typically sit down in the sweet spot and listen to the network player, the sound quality improvement (especially on certain tracks/albums)? It does bring me one step closer to the sonic signature of physical media, sound wise over Tidal.

Tom

timztunz

Apr 23, 2018
Texas
I’m currently using both but more often than not I lean towards Qobuz too. If I ever decide to let one go it will likely be Tidal, at least for now anyway.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
After now living with Qobuz for quite some time, I am more than happy with it. My initial reservations have (for the most part) been dealt with and there is more than enough music to listen to - and far fewer instances of Tidal having an album that Qobuz does not. AND, I don't get JayZee's genre of music pushed in my face. And they lowered the price. What's not to like?

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
I currently use both Tidal and Qobuz and find music on both that I prefer. My Qobuz is up for renewal soon and I probably will just stick with Tidal unless I get another price break. Both services have almost identical music that I listen to so I doubt I will miss anything.

MarcelNL

Mar 15, 2021
I have both and will stick with Qobuz, as the SQ is much better where the discography is fairly similar.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing