Queen Elizabeth passes away at 96 with royal family by her side after battle with health issues

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

Steve Williams

one has to wonder what happened so suddenly that her doctors sounded the alarm. a stroke or a heart attack perhaps. She was as steady in her reign as the Rock of Gibraltar . I remember as a young kid watching her coronation on a black and white TV and here we are 70 years later.

I do hope Charles will rise to the occasion and govern well. Many see him as an intermediate monarch until Will assumes the throne

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
"Her Majesty's A Pretty Nice Girl"....i say with the utmost of respect.

RIP Queen Elizabeth. always admired her. she was born a year before my Father.

Last edited:

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
A truly remarkable human being has passed from this world today, we shall not see her like again RIP Elizabeth Regina

Reactions: Steve Williams

Steve Williams

A truly remarkable human being has passed from this world today, we shall not see her like again RIP Elizabeth Regina
I totally agree. If there was but one blemish on her reign, it was IMO the way the Royals handled the death of Princess Di

Reactions: Alrainbow

Steve Williams

as a physician , I can only wonder what happened from yesterday when she received the new Prime Minister to today when her doctors ordered her to rest. With such a sudden downhill spiral and rapid demise, I can only suspect a stroke or heart attack and her doctors knew the gravity of the situation

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Despite my feelings for monarchs in general,I need to say this.
You are not supposed to touch the queen without her permission.
She visited my poor crime ridden neighborhood. (Marshall Heights, DC} Her fist visit, resulted in a big full bodied hug. Quite the violation of protocol. No public complaint by her.
After her visit she offered a trip to Buckingham Palace to some of the children in my neighborhood. My two neices and nephew were selected to attend. Fully paid by her.
I am eternally grateful
Edit: It was not i who conducted the ill fated hug. It was a neighbor the queen visited

Last edited:

Steve Williams

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Steve, she's been ill for a very long time, pretty much avoided most public engagements for months, didn't make most of her recent 70 year jubilee celebrations. I wouldn't read anything beyond her being very old and very ill.
It's noticeable that she really deteriorated after Philip died, understandable since they were so close for so long.
She's the last link to the war generation, those that truly put duty and public service first. I don't think there's anyone left beyond a few politicians from that era who've seen better days.

Steve Williams

Steve, she's been ill for a very long time, pretty much avoided most public engagements for months, didn't make most of her recent 70 year jubilee celebrations. I wouldn't read anything beyond her being very old and very ill.
It's noticeable that she really deteriorated after Philip died, understandable since they were so close for so long.
She's the last link to the war generation, those that truly put duty and public service first. I don't think there's anyone left beyond a few politicians from that era who've seen better days.
I understand that Marc. It is a reality check to be greeting the new Prime Minister yesterday and dead today. Acute heart failure or stroke but it doesn't matter. She will be remembered for centuries to come

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
as a physician , I can only wonder what happened from yesterday when she received the new Prime Minister to today when her doctors ordered her to rest. With such a sudden downhill spiral and rapid demise, I can only suspect a stroke or heart attack and her doctors knew the gravity of the situation

At 96… anything could be the end. I am sure she stopped worrying about it much earlier though.

Reactions: Pokey77

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
my mom died at 96 ot was only her last 6 months that some part of her life drifted away week to week month to month

if only the come and go government elected had just a tiny part of her. our shared world might be far better

great to read you met her very cool memory
ty for sharing that

two of my companies begin with rainbow

Ed.P

Mar 12, 2018

When Duke Ellington Made a Record for Just One Person—Queen Elizabeth​

The jazz legend had a single golden disc pressed, and sent in secrecy to Buckingham Palace​

[snip]

But Duke Ellington did the exact same thing in 1959, and without any desire to make money. Or even generating publicity from the incident—which took place in secret, without fanfare or press releases.

In this instance, he created a unique album solely for the pleasure of giving it to Queen Elizabeth. With the help of Billy Strayhorn, he composed The Queen’s Suite, had one record manufactured—and sent it directly to Buckingham Palace, solely intended for Her Majesty’s ears.

In a historic Duke-meets-Queen encounter the previous year, Ellington served up his famous charm for the monarch. When she asked him whether this was his first visit to Britain, Duke replied that his initial trip to London was in 1933, “way before you were born.” This was out-and-out flattery, because Queen Elizabeth had been born in 1926—but she played along with the game. “She gave me a real American look,” he later recalled, “very cool man, which I thought was too much.”

Give Duke credit for savviness. He understood that even a queen wants to hear how young she looks. Ellington followed up saying that Her Majesty “was so inspiring that something musical would come out of it.” She told him that she would be listening.

According to Ellington’s son Mercer, his father began working on the music to The Queen’s Suite as soon as he got back to his hotel room. He enlisted colleague and collaborator Billy Strayhorn. In addition to royal inspiration, the work also borrowed from the natural world: the opening movement draws on birdsong heard during a Florida visit, another section was a response to an unexpected encounter with “a million lightning bugs” serenaded by a frog. The best known part of the Suite, “The Single Petal of a Rose,” was spurred by a floral display on a piano at a friend’s home.

This latter movement has even entered the jazz standard repertoire as a standalone piece. It is most often performed by pianists, and has been recorded by Marcus Roberts, Marian McPartland, Sir Roland Hanna, John Hicks, Bill Mays, James Williams, and Andy LaVerne, as well as Ellington himself.

By early 1959, the finished work was ready for performance. The Queen’s Suite was now a 20-minute work in six movements. The band recorded it over the course of three sessions in February and April 1959. A single golden disc was made, and sent to Buckingham Palace. In order to ensure that no other copies were released, Ellington reimbursed Columbia, his label, some $2,500 in production costs, and thus retained personal ownership of the master tapes.

The original score to The Queen’s Suite is now in the collection of the National Museum of American History. I’m not sure where that single recording is nowadays—but Duke made certain that the music was never released during his lifetime. Not many people even knew about the existence of this recording, which was a kind of secret between him and the Queen. Yet, according to producer Irving Townsend, Ellington worked harder on this music than any other piece during that period.

What was the Queen’s response at the time? We will never know. But I note that as recently as 2019, Her Majesty surprised British jazz musician Gary Crosby by mentioning how much she admired Duke Ellington. And that same year, she made specific reference to The Queen’s Suite in a conversation with saxophonist Tommy Smith.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
One of the most amusing things about the Queen is she never divulged stuff, her regular conversations with PMs especially. So yes, we have no idea what she thought about this.
Maybe she really prefers Harry Styles.

Reactions: Alrainbow

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Attachments

• 4C5DF38B-86BA-456E-8B0A-6DB64BF29814.jpeg
    4C5DF38B-86BA-456E-8B0A-6DB64BF29814.jpeg
    662.1 KB · Views: 55

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing