Question About DAC's

jay73

Apr 18, 2019
Hello,

First time posting in this forum.

i am a bit of a novice and at the moment, consider myself a Audio Enthusiast.

I am in the process of slowly upgrading my 2 channel system.

I recently purchased a pair of Martin Logan Motion 40 speakers and like them very much.

Now I am researching some Integrated Amps and Separates. Currently using a old Denon AVR-5700 Receiver which is holding on just fine running those 4 ohms speakers.

The 2 different companies that I am considering is: Parasound Hint 6 IA/Separates or PS Audio Stellar Gain DAC and matching Amp.

But what is drawing me to the Parasound is that it supports DSD256 with it's built in DAC.

At the moment, I have limited knowledge of DAC and especially DSD.

I don't want to limit myself for the future as I am sure I will use the equipment for some time.

Units from both companies provide good power since the speakers are 4 ohms.

The Stellar DAC only goes to DSD128.

I realize at the moment, there might be limited choices available for DSD256 but content.

Is there much difference in sound quailty between DSD128 and DSD256?

Also, is DSD pure or native considered better then DSD DoP (if that is even a thing).

Maybe I have the wrong idea of what DSD is but one thing I want to make sure is that I have good options to start out with.

I am sure with either unit, I can upgrade to a better DAC if I need to but am hoping to have it all built in.

Also, the Paraound units have a phono stage which the PS Audio does not.

Anyway, sorry for the long post. I would appreciate any feedback.

Jay

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing