Question about DACs

audio.bill

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs
This maybe a dumb question but what exactly is a dac used for?
DAC is an acronym for Digital to Analog Converter. It accepts a signal in the digital domain (like that from a PC playing digital files, CD player's digital output, music server, etc.) and converts it into an analog signal which can then be fed into a preamp or integrated amp of a stereo system. There are many methods of doing the actual digital to analog conversion... most use an IC chip DAC but there are also DACs built of discrete components. Playback devices for digital files commonly used to drive headphones (like what appears to be a DAP in your avatar) contain an internal DAC and amplifier circuitry to provide an amplified analog output for connected headphones.

AWZ1979

Feb 22, 2019
Thanks for the response. I should’ve better described my question. I know what a DAC is. My question is why would a PC, CD player or anything else that has a headphone port need a stand alone DAC considering they already have one?

audio.bill

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs
Just like anything else in audio there are many levels of performance available at a wide range of prices. Internal DACs in many common devices are very cheap implementations with similar quality power supplies and analog stages. So if such devices have a digital output you can in most cases get a significant gain in sonic performance by connecting to a higher quality and more thoroughly engineered external DAC.

AWZ1979

Feb 22, 2019
Thanks. That explains it for me. I ordered a portable music player (Fiio m3k) a few days ago from amazon that is also an external DAC. I look forward to testing out the DAC function with my PC and other devices.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing