Question on Triton

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
At the moment, I am using PS audio P10 for front end sources. The reason is that the incoming voltage is 210v but most of my equipments are 230v. I am using P10 to step up the voltage to 230v. I am thinking to switch to Triton. Is it a better move since Triton cannot step up voltage to 230v.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
At the moment, I am using PS audio P10 for front end sources. The reason is that the incoming voltage is 210v but most of my equipments are 230v. I am using P10 to step up the voltage to 230v. I am thinking to switch to Triton. Is it a better move since Triton cannot step up voltage to 230v.

I will hazard a guess (being a non-techie) that you may have to try it and see. The reason being that most equipment is designed to accept tolerances in voltage. (In fact, I wonder if one of our techies could confirm whether its better for a piece of equipment to see a steady 210V when it ought to be 220V...or see a random, constant voltage swing that is constantly fluctuating between 215V and 225V.)

I would not discount your P10s ability to fix the voltage however...the old adage "everything matters" probably does come into play. For example, I have seen an extreme system where the owner has a few systems, each retailing for $500K each...and he still uses a PS Audio 300 for one specific reason: he likes the ability to fix the voltage and in fact he demonstrated his system noticeably revealed the change when setting the voltage 4V higher/lower.

Assuming your equipment does handle voltage swings well, then i am going to guess it might come down to lots of factors between the Triton and your P10. Based on the innumerable positives on the Triton, I would not be surprised if you found (like so many members here) that (considering all the factors), that the Triton is incredible...and you found yourself at the outer edge of extremes looking for Triton/Typhon and the whole thing like many here...good luck.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

The answer strongly depends on your front end equipment and mains quality. Some equipment will tolerate lower mains voltage, but other does not. As far as I know Shunyata does not advise to use both units.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing