RCA cable broke off - MLT-2 Subwoofer MLT2AL7000

SimpsonTide985

Feb 8, 2021
I’ve been having great experience using my MartinLogan MLT-2 subwoofer the last 7 years or so but I ran into an issue and I need some advice.

The RCA cable male end connection unfortunately broke off inside of the “Left In” input on the subwoofer. The male end is now completely dug inside of the subwoofer and I need help trying to dig it out. See pic attached.

I thought about unscrewing the panel to try and see if I could dig it out but I didn’t want to mess around with it until I got some better insight first.

I’m pretty illiterate when it comes to electronics and so I want to make absolutely sure I know what to do. MartinLogan wants me to buy a brand new $200 backplate from them but I'm trying to see if there's any other option.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated !

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    33 KB · Views: 10

timztunz

Apr 23, 2018
Texas
I recently had the same problem with a Bricasti M1 and couldn't get it out with anything I tried. I even buggered up the inside of the plug trying. I ended up sending back to Bricasti who put in a new jack and updated the firmware. All for $50 (plus shipping). I can't speak highly enough for those guys and their impeccable customer service. Good luck with yours!

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020
I’ve been having great experience using my MartinLogan MLT-2 subwoofer the last 7 years or so but I ran into an issue and I need some advice.

The RCA cable male end connection unfortunately broke off inside of the “Left In” input on the subwoofer. The male end is now completely dug inside of the subwoofer and I need help trying to dig it out. See pic attached.

I thought about unscrewing the panel to try and see if I could dig it out but I didn’t want to mess around with it until I got some better insight first.

I’m pretty illiterate when it comes to electronics and so I want to make absolutely sure I know what to do. MartinLogan wants me to buy a brand new $200 backplate from them but I'm trying to see if there's any other option.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated !
Tough one. I don’t think you can push it out from the other end either. there is a small hole in the tube, but in front of that is where the solder joint would be. It must be wedged in there pretty good.
Maybe a dab of JB weld on a tip of a big metal paper clip, let it set up and then pull gently.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hi, SimpsonTide985 and please allow me to offer you a very warm welcome to the What's Best Forum. If you are electrically savvy, I would just replace the jack. Shouldn't be hard at all.....unless that area is highly congested with other electronics. Might want to try @Mikem53's suggestion first. Other than that, you risk damaging things removing it any other way.

Tom

SimpsonTide985

Feb 8, 2021
Tough one. I don’t think you can push it out from the other end either. there is a small hole in the tube, but in front of that is where the solder joint would be. It must be wedged in there pretty good.
Maybe a dab of JB weld on a tip of a big metal paper clip, let it set up and then pull gently.
Someone directed me to this video a few weeks ago:

and it worked!! I replaced the cable and now everything's fine!

Reactions: Mikem53

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing