Re-imagining "Class A" Amplification

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Fred

ive heard 9 foot tall speakers in Manila. Ceilings IIRC were 14’
to this day I’ve never heard a system it’s equal or better. So what’s an extra foot. I’d love to know more about that speaker

Reactions: Fred Crane

Fred Crane

Industry Expert
Apr 23, 2020

CDC77

May 26, 2021
Chicago
www.cdcaruso.com
Congratulations on a new level of enjoyment coming to fruition. I loved the REI's in our space. The only thing left to do, is to expand to 4 REI's, which the Westminster Quest Preamp is made to accommodate.
Great idea, but would probably need to expand the house first. I am confident the first two REI’s can fill our home with music quite nicely.

Fred Crane

Industry Expert
Apr 23, 2020

LampiNA

Jun 30, 2015
I just wanted to take a minute to mention a lovely listening session I shared with Gary and the Westminster amps and pre yesterday afternoon. Gary was back in his old stomping grounds on Long Island, NY and paid me a visit with the Westminsters in tote. We set them up in my main living room space which consists of Tobian 12FH speakers an assortment of Final Touch Audio cabling, an assortment of LampizatOr sources (yesterday we used the Amber 4) a Taiko Extreme and of course Gary's amplification.

I wasn't quite sure what to expect as the Tobian speakers are quite efficient, utterly transparent and in the past have seemed to favor tubes. What the Rei's brought to the table though was indeed quite special--it took some time to wrap my head around what I was hearing as well as for the amps to warm up and hit their stride, but once we got there it was indeed a glorious place..

The Westminster amplification has fantastic transparency, speed, control, acceleration and appropriate weight. These amps provided a fantastic top to bottom foundation that was palpable while everything remained super agile and dynamic.

I was a big fan of what I heard and I believe Gary felt the pairing to be better than anticipated as well. I can make a strong recommendation of pairing these amps with LampizatOr sources as they both achieve a similar sonic aspiration (compliments one another) and the Tobian speakers are also a fabulous option as well.

A very fun and enlightening day, Gary--thanks again for making time for me while you were out here!
A picture of the setup with the sleek Westminster amps and pre to the left and Tobians front and center...

Pardon the cables, they're still being evaluated before I snake them behind the fireplace.

Attachments

• Audio.jpg
    Audio.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 94

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
Hello All. Let me introduce myself to this forum and thread. I am Angus and I am one of the founder of WestminsterLab. Feel free to hit me any questions about anything and I will try my best to answer here.
I have a question: what is meant by 'no global feedback'? Does the amplifier employ local feedback or do you consider it zero feedback?

lscangus

Industry Expert
Oct 23, 2018
I have a question: what is meant by 'no global feedback'? Does the amplifier employ local feedback or do you consider it zero feedback?
The Rei employs a feedback system sitting somewhere between a global feedback and a local feedback.

viola

VIP/Donor
Apr 21, 2021
Connecticut
I am also happy to report that I have ordered a pair of the REI mono blocks after comparing them to my existing tube amplifier and my tube and solid-state preamplifiers, as described below. Many thanks to Gary for allowing me to demo the REIs and putting up with my many questions.

I have always been a tube guy because I loved the midrange purity and air that well-executed tube gear provides. I have always valued that midrange beauty over shortcomings at the low and high ends of the spectrum, but I must acknowledge that the VAC preamps and amps I have used in recent years have had plenty of control on the low end and extension on the high end. Well-designed tube gear has come a long way over the past decade.

Solid state has also come a very long way over the last decade. I recently acquired a Tidal Audio Presencio preamp and was stunned with every aspect of its performance. I preferred it over my VAC Master Preamp (a Class A design) in driving my VAC Signature 200iQ amp (a Class AB design with 100 wpc) which, in turn, drives a pair of Tidal Audio Contriva G2 speakers. I thought I was set . . . until I read Steve’s recent audition of the REIs and other reports on them and then put the demo REI mono blocks into my system.

To get to the point, these little solid-state mono blocks produce a gorgeous sound when driven by both the VAC Master Preamp as well as the Tidal Audio Presencio preamp. At this point, I cannot decide which presentation I like more. With both preamps, the REI mono blocks have a solid control of bass, a beautiful midrange (which makes me happy as a tube guy), an effortless extension into the high frequencies and both an ultra-high clarity and ultra-low noise floor. They also excel in attacks and decays on pianos, glockenspiels, voices, orchestral presentations – and this aspect is the one that has completely floored me. All of these dimensions make the REIs shine: every performance is more lifelike than I have ever heard, even on ridiculously expensive systems. With the tube VAC Master Preamp, the REIs have ever so slightly more air and holographic imaging than with the solid-state Tidal Audio Presencio preamp; on the other hand, the detail, attacks and decays are more natural-sounding with the Presencio preamp. I’m not sure which presentation I prefer right now, but that’s a high-class problem to solve.

I have always been a fan of Class A designs. While a well-designed and implemented Class AB design can sound fantastic, it’s difficult, at least IMHO, to beat a comparably well-designed and implemented Class A design. The REI provides an obviously well-designed and implemented Class A design but with power and without the bulk and heat one would expect from traditional Class A designs. I know there are some that have argued that the sliding bias deprives it of “true” Class A status. However, I hear what I hear, and these petite mono blocks are just outstanding in every way. Incidentally, at Capital Audiofest in 2021, I heard another pair of solid-state Class A mono blocks with a sliding bias technology that was also incredibly impressive; I think that new components and technologies are in the process of reviving and, dare I say, improving Class A amplifiers.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I am also happy to report that I have ordered a pair of the REI mono blocks after comparing them to my existing tube amplifier and my tube and solid-state preamplifiers, as described below. Many thanks to Gary for allowing me to demo the REIs and putting up with my many questions.

I have always been a tube guy because I loved the midrange purity and air that well-executed tube gear provides. I have always valued that midrange beauty over shortcomings at the low and high ends of the spectrum, but I must acknowledge that the VAC preamps and amps I have used in recent years have had plenty of control on the low end and extension on the high end. Well-designed tube gear has come a long way over the past decade.

Solid state has also come a very long way over the last decade. I recently acquired a Tidal Audio Presencio preamp and was stunned with every aspect of its performance. I preferred it over my VAC Master Preamp (a Class A design) in driving my VAC Signature 200iQ amp (a Class AB design with 100 wpc) which, in turn, drives a pair of Tidal Audio Contriva G2 speakers. I thought I was set . . . until I read Steve’s recent audition of the REIs and other reports on them and then put the demo REI mono blocks into my system.

To get to the point, these little solid-state mono blocks produce a gorgeous sound when driven by both the VAC Master Preamp as well as the Tidal Audio Presencio preamp. At this point, I cannot decide which presentation I like more. With both preamps, the REI mono blocks have a solid control of bass, a beautiful midrange (which makes me happy as a tube guy), an effortless extension into the high frequencies and both an ultra-high clarity and ultra-low noise floor. They also excel in attacks and decays on pianos, glockenspiels, voices, orchestral presentations – and this aspect is the one that has completely floored me. All of these dimensions make the REIs shine: every performance is more lifelike than I have ever heard, even on ridiculously expensive systems. With the tube VAC Master Preamp, the REIs have ever so slightly more air and holographic imaging than with the solid-state Tidal Audio Presencio preamp; on the other hand, the detail, attacks and decays are more natural-sounding with the Presencio preamp. I’m not sure which presentation I prefer right now, but that’s a high-class problem to solve.

I have always been a fan of Class A designs. While a well-designed and implemented Class AB design can sound fantastic, it’s difficult, at least IMHO, to beat a comparably well-designed and implemented Class A design. The REI provides an obviously well-designed and implemented Class A design but with power and without the bulk and heat one would expect from traditional Class A designs. I know there are some that have argued that the sliding bias deprives it of “true” Class A status. However, I hear what I hear, and these petite mono blocks are just outstanding in every way. Incidentally, at Capital Audiofest in 2021, I heard another pair of solid-state Class A mono blocks with a sliding bias technology that was also incredibly impressive; I think that new components and technologies are in the process of reviving and, dare I say, improving Class A amplifiers.
They are truly a remarkable amplifier. What I heard in my room was nothing short of spectacular. To throw more into the mix you should hear these amps with Angus preamp . It is beautiful sleek with very impressive specs. You should get Gary to loan you the preamp

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
The best Class A I have heard has been Hugh’s Gryphon Apex amplifier.

Reactions: CKKeung

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Lee, next time I am back east I would love to stop by and let you hear the "small and mighty" Westminster mono amplifiers for yourself. Indeed the Gryphons are mighty:)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
The best Class A I have heard has been Hugh’s Gryphon Apex amplifier.
I could well believe it having owned 3 generations of Gryphons through the Mephisto over the last 12+ years. Do you have any sense of how it compares with the Mephisto or have others shared with you their own comparisons? Most intrigued.

Reactions: Lee

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
No worries whatsoever skids929!

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I could well believe it having owned 3 generations of Gryphons through the Mephisto over the last 12+ years. Do you have any sense of how it compares with the Mephisto or have others shared with you their own comparisons? Most intrigued.
I don't know how it compares to the Mephisto.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Gary Leeds, President of US importer, Hear This is pleased to announce the firm's first US sales partnership with Destination Sound Group of New York. The alliance will make auditioning Westminster electronics, including the Rei monoblock amplifiers and matching Quest pre-amplifier, more readily available to Metropolitan area audio enthusiasts. This opportunity will also extend to existing and future customers of Lampizator and Tobian Sound Systems, feature products that Fred Ainsley and DSG represent.

The pairing of Westminster Labs electronics with these fine brands is an exceptional audio experience. We are proud to be associated with Fred and his select group of industry-leading manufacturers. Thank you, Fred. Your energy, professionalism, and positivity are infectious!
Fred_Ainsley_portrait.jpg

Fred Crane

Industry Expert
Apr 23, 2020
Gary Leeds, President of US importer, Hear This is pleased to announce the firm's first US sales partnership with Destination Sound Group of New York. The alliance will make auditioning Westminster electronics, including the Rei monoblock amplifiers and matching Quest pre-amplifier, more readily available to Metropolitan area audio enthusiasts. This opportunity will also extend to existing and future customers of Lampizator and Tobian Sound Systems, feature products that Fred Ainsley and DSG represent.

The pairing of Westminster Labs electronics with these fine brands is an exceptional audio experience. We are proud to be associated with Fred and his select group of industry-leading manufacturers. Thank you, Fred. Your energy, professionalism, and positivity are infectious!
View attachment 95364
Congratulations Gary and Fred!

LampiNA

Jun 30, 2015

View attachment 95364
Thank you so much for the warm introduction, Gary! I am beyond excited to work with you and spread the word of a new incredible product I believe in and expect to make a big splash in this industry.

Cheers, my friend!

Fred A.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing