Realistic lab 500

MACROSS

Aug 4, 2021
Hello to all! I have collected vinyl for 30 years but always bought simple cheap systems to play them on. I recently inherited a 1978 or 1979 realistic lab 500 turntable from my grandfather. It works well and is in original condition, I recently purchased speakers with rca cable 20210804_201148.jpg s but it does not play loud. I researched and it mentions needing a preamp and receiver. I am new to this but am looking for the best possible way to use this turntable on an affordable budget!

djsina2

May 30, 2019
You need to plug it into a MM (moving magnet) input of a receiver or pre-amp. Maybe get a vintage receiver?

MACROSS

Aug 4, 2021
You need to plug it into a MM (moving magnet) input of a receiver or pre-amp. Maybe get a vintage receiver?
I did do some searching for a vintage receiver but have issues trusting that what I buy will work. Would a stand alone pre-amp do the job? I was looking at some online and some are as cheap as 20 bucks.

djsina2

May 30, 2019
No it won’t. You need 3 things (MM phono pre, pre-amp, amp) and the cheapest/easiest solution would be a vintage receiver where all 3 of these components are in a single box. What’s your budget? “Affordable” on this site has a very different meaning! The audiokarma forum could suggest you tons of cheap solutions.

MACROSS

Aug 4, 2021
No it won’t. You need 3 things (MM phono pre, pre-amp, amp) and the cheapest/easiest solution would be a vintage receiver where all 3 of these components are in a single box. What’s your budget? “Affordable” on this site has a very different meaning! The audiokarma forum could suggest you tons of cheap solutions.
I am trying to stay around 100 dollars or less. Do decent workable vintage receivers with all that you mentioned run in that range? I will go take a look over at the audiokarma forum!

MACROSS

Aug 4, 2021
I am trying to stay around 100 dollars or less. Do decent workable vintage receivers with all that you mentioned run in that range? I will go take a look over at the audiokarma forum!
Hello again, I was wondering if you would know if a Vintage Realistic STA-64 AM/FM Stereo Receiver 77-79 year model would do the trick? I have found several online in the $100 range.

djsina2

May 30, 2019
It needs to have an MM input. Did a quick search and couldn’t confirm either way. Ask at audiokarma, they will know the specs.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing