Reality is Cruel : Cybershaft new Ultimate OCXO 10M Clocks Shootout OP20 vs OP17

JaMo

Jan 17, 2020
Sweden
Just to let You know. This thread made me curious about these high grade OCXO's.. So I ended up ordering a REF10 SE-120. Will hopefully get it in middle of mars. Thanks/Jan

Reactions: vhs and TLi

JaMo

Jan 17, 2020
Sweden
The Mutec REF10 SE-120 has arrived! It is put to do service and a two weeks burn in period has started.

JaMo

Jan 17, 2020
Sweden
congratulations ! Feed it with premium clock cable and place it with SS Ultra. You surely will get all the best out of it.

Thanks! And thanks also for the recommendations. Cables are already taken care of, SS Ultra is still on shopping list.
/Jan

Last edited:

Sa683s

Jun 26, 2017
Thanks! And thanks also for the recommendations. Cables are already taken care of, SS Ultra is still on shopping list.
/Jan
Or you can try SS Ultra 2, a crazy guy here used and hv even better results than Ultra.

Attachments

• 34CD6F8B-EB3D-4EA0-8E5C-D8CD60D41600.jpeg
    34CD6F8B-EB3D-4EA0-8E5C-D8CD60D41600.jpeg
    486.1 KB · Views: 47
Reactions: vhs

vhs

Dec 12, 2019
Or you can try SS Ultra 2, a crazy guy here used and hv even better results than Ultra.

Wow!

Ultra 2 is indeed much better than Ultra.

Stbo

Mar 18, 2020
Sweden
congratulations ! Feed it with premium clock cable and place it with SS Ultra. You surely will get all the best out of it.
Don't forget a high-quality power cable and for the last bit of perfomance high-quality fuses too.
I had my Ref10 upgraded to the -120 status in January and I' m really enyoing it now.
Btw. Just for curiosity JaMo, which clock cable do you have?

Reactions: johndoe21ro

JaMo

Jan 17, 2020
Sweden
Don't forget a high-quality power cable and for the last bit of perfomance high-quality fuses too.
I had my Ref10 upgraded to the -120 status in January and I' m really enyoing it now.
Btw. Just for curiosity JaMo, which clock cable do you have?

Power cable is now a rather simple interim solution during the burn in peroiod. I am waiting for 6.4 AWG cable.
75 Ohm BNC cable is Mutec's own 0.5m. 50 Ohm I use Mil spec (RG223 from 1966) 1.0m. Will upgrade those to shorter ones later

David

Aug 11, 2012
Hi everyone, I am one of the lucky owners of this spectacular Mutec Ref10 SE-120.

The Mutec absolutely takes the already exceptional dCS Vivaldi Clock to a whole new level ! View attachment 59770

Dear VHS,
i have seen that you, use an Uptone EtherREGEN switch into your system ... did you tried also the Mutec Ref10 or Ref10 SE120 with your EtherREGEN switch ? If yes, could you let me know if it was positive ?

vhs

Dec 12, 2019
Dear VHS,
i have seen that you, use an Uptone EtherREGEN switch into your system ... did you tried also the Mutec Ref10 or Ref10 SE120 with your EtherREGEN switch ? If yes, could you let me know if it was positive ?

Hi David,

I did make a direct comparison between Ref10 and Ref10 SE-120 with eR which both substantially improved the sound quality.

The decision is a no-brainer. Please go for a SE-120 however.

vhs

ref10 vs ref10 se120.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Marck1973

Marck1973

Aug 11, 2017
Hi,

So I managed to demo a Ref-10 with my full Vivaldi stack, and as stated above, it is a no brainer. The difference with using the external clock was not subtle, a significant improvement.

I decided to wait for the Ref-10 SE120 version which I received nearly 2 weeks ago now. I was told to expect a further 10% improvement over the standard Ref-10.However I would say the improvement between the two is more than that, maybe closer to 20%. if you have the opportunity, as VHS mentioned, it is the SE120 version you need to go for.

Another point is to make sure you use the best power cable and clock cable (keep all clock cables the same within the loom).

Having the external clock has taken my system to an entirely new level, it really is a no brainer!

Marc.

vhs

Dec 12, 2019
Hi,

So I managed to demo a Ref-10 with my full Vivaldi stack, and as stated above, it is a no brainer. The difference with using the external clock was not subtle, a significant improvement.

I decided to wait for the Ref-10 SE120 version which I received nearly 2 weeks ago now. I was told to expect a further 10% improvement over the standard Ref-10.However I would say the improvement between the two is more than that, maybe closer to 20%. if you have the opportunity, as VHS mentioned, it is the SE120 version you need to go for.

Another point is to make sure you use the best power cable and clock cable (keep all clock cables the same within the loom).

Having the external clock has taken my system to an entirely new level, it really is a no brainer!

Marc.

Hi Marc,

You must try Stillpoints Ultra 2......it is a perfect match for Mutec Ref10 SE-120.

Cheers,

vhs

mutec Ultra 2.jpg

Marck1973

Aug 11, 2017
Hi Marc,

You must try Stillpoints Ultra 2......it is a perfect match for Mutec Ref10 SE-120.

Cheers,

vhs

View attachment 63372
So I used to use StillPoints in my system however recently took them out since I have a new Artesania rack which made a massive difference. The clock is actually sitting on a VertexAQ platform on the rack since the new rack doesn't have shelves and the unit is too small to reach the carbon struts.
I may try the StillPoints though since have kept a few back incase ever needed!

I will try and upload a photo of the system so you can see what i mean!

Reactions: vhs

vhs

Dec 12, 2019

TLi

May 27, 2016
I just completed my order with Cybershaft for an OP21A to go with my Vivaldi stack.Looking forward to this.
Big congratulation. You make the right choice. Remember to get the external power supply and the spike footers from Cybershaft as well. They are not expensive but very effective.

Their 50Ohm clock cable is not bad too.

drunkenspyder

Apr 6, 2020
NorCal, USA
www.hammondraffetto.art
Yes, I included the external power supply and spike footers for both boxes. Kenji does not offer 75 Ohm cables, but does offer good 50 Ohm cables with adapters. I prefer to stick with 75 Ohm. And I have some good basic clock cables built by Geistnote already . These will hold me over until shelter-in-place gets lifted, and I can travel to my dealer to audition the Shunyata and others. I'm not buying those without listening.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing