Reality is Cruel Part II : CH Precision T1 10M Clock

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
How lucky I am!
A wish of mine has materialized just before Xmas : testing the CH Precision T1 in an home environment!
:cool:

T1 was launched nearly 2 years ago but has got not much attention. There are only a few reviews on it, including a more recent one on postivefeedback.com .

The main reason must be its high price and limited application. It is merely an accessory for digital frontend and yet for CH Precision digital components, there are other ways to upgrade such as adding X1 ext psu or going the mono route.
But I must say that T1 is really an underrated gem!

Let's roll! Here they are :
IMG-20191219-WA0074~4.jpg

The top one is the T1. It has almost the same external look of a X1, except a small model number on the corner of the display :
IMG-20191219-WA0075~4.jpg

Externally it's very low-profile but internally it's spectacular!
DLA7PwiVYAAinCZ~2.jpeg
DQRXVr8UMAEczsV (1)~2.jpg

Inside that huge solid block of alloy is the ocxo module in the best possible temp-stable/anti-vibration/anti-EM pollution environment.

The most unique feature of T1 is definitely that it's a GPS Disciplined Clock (GPSDC). GPS clock signal reception is an option of T1 and the installation is plug-and-play.
This photo shows that the BNC1 10M output of the T1 is in use and the signal is locked with satellite GPS clock signal :
20191223_222226~2.jpg

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
So how did it perform?
How did it compare with the audiophile clocks popular in the market, such as Cybershaft and Mutec?

The answer is simple and not unexpected :
We get what we pay for.

I mentioned in a previous thread of mine that Cybetshaft OP20 was significantly better than the OP17.
https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/reality-is-cruel-cybershaft-new-ultimate-ocxo-10m-clocks-shootout-op20-vs-op17.26610/

In another thread I mentioned that the new Cybershaft OP21A bettered an OP20 Limited2 easily.
And some audiophile frds in HK told me that the Mutec special model SE-120 performed at a similar level of Cybershaft OP20.

The above are my reference points when auditioning the CH Precision T1 and comparing it to a Cybershaft OP20.

I can confidently tell you that the T1 (with GPS function activated) performed in a totally diff league!
It bettered an OP20 in seconds!
I am NOT joking.
Just when the music started, the soundstage widened by more than 2 feet on both sides and deepened beyond my expectation.
The density within remained undiluted and the images remained solid.
The music flowed graciously and naturally with extreme resolution and dynamics.

Can it be further improved?
Yes of course!
We unplugged its ethernet connection (which is for remote control by ipad/tablet) and replaced the original powercord with a humble Furutech 4.1 and there was small but audible reaulting sonic improvement.
20191223_223240~3.jpg

These are small tweaks.
Even without them, T1 must be the best and the pinnacle of audiophile 10M clock in the world.

IMO, the Cybershafts and Mutecs are merely kings.
The CH Precision T1 is the Emperor!

:cool:

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I'm so jealous. My room being underground, I have no way to route the GPS.

Please don't be a tease CK, tell them what it did, especially to the bass!

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I'm so jealous. My room being underground, I have no way to route the GPS.

Depending on the GPS antenna model, the wire can be very long!
Pls email/call C & H for their advice!
;)

IMG-20191221-WA0051~4.jpg

Jpspock

Dec 26, 2018
Dear ckkeung, you compare the T1 with the OP20, good idea, but concerning price, Howard much cost thé T1 ? At least 3 times the price of an OP20 no?

Than it would interesting to compare it with a Sforzato clock, don’t you?

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Dear ckkeung, you compare the T1 with the OP20, good idea, but concerning price, Howard much cost thé T1 ? At least 3 times the price of an OP20 no?
Than it would interesting to compare it with a Sforzato clock, don’t you?
There isn't an official dealer of Sforzato in Hong Kong right now.
Otherwise I will try to borrow one for audition.

The new Cybershaft OP20A/21A and Mutec Ref10 SE-120 are not cheap but the T1 is still around 4 times their net prices in HK.
I think T1 will not be as popular as Cybershafts or Mutecs and only those well-heeled audiophiles with multiple boxes of CH Precision components will buy it.

However, i am confident that T1 is the emporer of audiophile 10M external clock in the market currently.

diaZ

Dec 30, 2019
The new Cybershaft Clock OP20A arrived today!

And the internal clock module is huge and massive shielded.

The following settings were made:

all outputs low for - Esoteric K01XS
- Esoteric N03T

50 Ohms
all output grounds isolated , because 4A7B0490-5B30-4EF8-88E9-55797A116E6B.jpeg the BNC cables connected to the components showed also
connection to the power plug ground.

Reactions: CKKeung

BMCG

VIP/Donor
Oct 1, 2016
United Kingdom
There isn't an official dealer of Sforzato in Hong Kong right now.
Otherwise I will try to borrow one for audition.

The new Cybershaft OP20A/21A and Mutec Ref10 SE-120 are not cheap but the T1 is still around 4 times their net prices in HK.
I think T1 will not be as popular as Cybershafts or Mutecs and only those well-heeled audiophiles with multiple boxes of CH Precision components will buy it.

However, i am confident that T1 is the emporer of audiophile 10M external clock in the market currently.

Sforzato's distribution is quite limited, also not the easiest to source into UK...

One clock that I am somewhat surprised has yet to feature on WBF is Abendrot's Stute....which, courtesy of distribution in the UK, has made inroads with London Vivaldi stack owners....not a cheap solution at 40kUSD but one that is gaining adherents. https://abendrot-audio.com/legendary/

Having auditioned both the T1 and the Stute doing service as a reference clock for Vivaldi...am rather likely to take the CH Precision route. YMMV.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Sforzato's distribution is quite limited, also not the easiest to source into UK...
One clock that I am somewhat surprised has yet to feature on WBF is Abendrot's Stute....which, courtesy of distribution in the UK, has made inroads with London Vivaldi stack owners....not a cheap solution at 40kUSD but one that is gaining adherents. https://abendrot-audio.com/legendary/
Having auditioned both the T1 and the Stute doing service as a reference clock for Vivaldi...am rather likely to take the CH Precision route. YMMV.
Hello BMCG,
Abendrot Stute is baed on a Rubidium Clock module. Limited info is released by Abendrot and no internal photo is available.
If its net price is usd40k, it's much expensive than the net price of T1 in HK.

You mentioned that you have compared the two of them directly?
Please tell us more about their sonic diff.
Many thanks!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing