REC-O-Kut T12 switch and Resistor problem

shade23

Feb 17, 2022
I have a very old REC-O-KUT T12 turntable with an AC motor. The resistor on the slide switch is bad and the turntable will not turn off. My question is would it be best to replace the resistor or install a potentiometer. I would have a finer adjustment with the potentiometer, but I would like to keep everything original. I also am having a problem making out the color bands on the resistor and may not be able to get the right resistor. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thank You

Adnick

Feb 1, 2023
Did you solve this? Are you’re talking about a Resistor or Capacitor?
Does yours look anything like this

CBFBE26D-88FA-475A-BC76-1840C32CC8D8.jpeg

shade23

Feb 17, 2022
Did you solve this? Are you’re talking about a Resistor or Capacitor?
Does yours look anything like this

View attachment 103804
I found out it is a Bumblebee capacitor used to take the arc out of the switch when turned on. It is not needed and you can still find them used. Mine is a 400 volt, .054 micro ferret. Thanks for your interest!

Adnick

Feb 1, 2023
Kinda figured you were talking about the noise capacitor, many use a 0.47 uF in that position.

Required? No, but needed unless you want noise through your speakers each time you turn it on…

VR
Andy

Reactions: Don_Camillo

shade23

Feb 17, 2022
Kinda figured you were talking about the noise capacitor, many use a 0.47 uF in that position.

Required? No, but needed unless you want noise through your speakers each time you turn it on…

VR
Andy
You would be surprised how many vintage turntable repair shops that I contacted that had no clue. When I have it apart for cleaning I'll replace it. Thanks for the helpful advice.

Reactions: Adnick

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing