Recommend me a set-up tool(s).....

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
Just got an AMG Viella which has been set up by the dealer. I'm keen to learn the ropes of good set-up though, so would appreciate some recommendations on tools I should get. The arm is AMG's 12" which I'm unlikely to change, the cart is AMG's Teatro, which I may swap in / out at some stage.

Thanks in advance!

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Acoustical-systems Smarttractor for pivot-to-spindle distance and cartridge alignment.

http://www.arche-headshell.de/alignment-tools/smartractor/

Ortofon DS-3 stylus force gauge. Check ebay to purchase from Japan. Last I knew these are not sold in US.

STARRET 130 - small machinst level

A small bright flashlight such as the Olight S10R Baton III

A 20x loupe for stlus inspection.

I will add more later.

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
Thanks - appreciated

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Consider acquiring a relatively inexpensive cartridge such as a Denon DL-103R or other to learn and practice your setup skills.

There is a certain 'art' or method to moving your hands around a cartridge and in your turntable area generally. Think about what you are about to do before you do it; that will slow you down, which is good. A simple exercise is setting the cartridge's VTF. While doing that you can listen to hear any changes that might make. Use simple acoustic music. Making small changes and listening is part of practice.

Learn this diagram from Wally Malewicz or copy the graphic and print it. There is plenty of setup advice on this forum and elsewhere on the 'net. It can seem confusing at first until you gain a bit of comfort with the terminology. You will see these terms used a lot.

ToneArm Basic Geometry.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing