Recommendation for $7,000 System

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I love these threads. OP is probably cross eyed confused more than when he started.

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
I'd like to add that when spinning vinyl it's nice to be able to add tubes somewhere in the chain (pre-amp?) , even more important than attempting to tame CD harshness is the snap crackle and pop of some LP's.

Somehow tubes seem to help alleviate the annoying tension of surface noise, even more so than red wine.;)

I don't care how many times I clean my records and zap them with my gun, eventually a sound booger will sneak in on some.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
I trust those are awesome as I love the open baffle speakers I've heard, but they start at $7,500 and up, right?

With Voxativ wide banders, yes. But the entry point is priced at what I said, and doesn't have the Vox drivers.

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
With Voxativ wide banders, yes. But the entry point is priced at what I said, and doesn't have the Vox drivers.

Thanks, I just now saw where the prices are on their website. I did not initially understand the shorthand in your post on page one, and was responding to a later post.

Have you by chance heard the Trio15 HeilAMT, and if so how favorable compared to the other offerings?

http://www.pureaudioproject.com/trio15-open-baffle-speakers-pureaudioproject/

Half the 7k budget on speakers, understandable if they are the right speakers I guess.

Duke LeJeune

[Industry Expert]/Member Sponsor
Jul 22, 2013
Princeton, Texas
Please don't torture people that like classical and opera with a wimpy inefficient bookshelf... That's my opinion.

Do this:

Pi Audio 6 Pi Speakers: ($3500~ shipped I think)
These will have thrilling dynamics and good non-horn sounding vocals. They'll be alive, and squash little speakers. The only condition is they must be corners. But that's the good news, floor standing AND out of the way. They easily reach into the 30hz.
I would do this config:
Wood: Their choice
Finish: Their choice
Compression driver: B&C DE250
Woofer: B&C 12PLB100 (unless the Pi guy says it lowers efficiency, I would keep it 100db+)
Inductors: 15 gauge
Capacitors: Standard
Resistors: Mills
(A review from someone who made their own at the bottom of the post)

I have heard and thoroughly enjoyed Pi Speakers many times at the Lone Star Audio Fest. Wayne Parham is one of the good guys, he offers so much for so little. His designs may be the best under-the-radar high-efficiency speakers out there, and if price is factored in, they really don't have much competition. If corner loading is unavailable, then I suggest the 4 Pi speakers.

Last edited:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
One more consideration, just stumbled over this old thread about $650 Magnapans.

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/magnepan-lrs-challenge.27750/

If the .7's are still that price it frees up another $1,350 over getting the 1.7's.

This means they can maybe get into a tube preamp and or amp.

I really think vinyl goes with tubes, and it's a shame not to experience this at least once in a lifetime.

EDIT:

I did some research into the mail order only LRS, and it would not be a good match for most tube amps as it requires something that can go low Ohm wise.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gregadd

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
We wouldn't know. Ron is keeping us in total suspense.

My friend decided to put the project on hold.

This is all great work for the next time this exact same question comes up!

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
My friend decided to put the project on hold.

This is all great work for the next time this exact same question comes up!
To be honest, there are many other forums where such a question is normal.

What's Best seems to be in the stratosphere comparatively.

I'm not sure most of the posters here can bend down that low anymore, and it's not just because of age.

However, this forum has much to offer, and I get to see and read things found nowhere else.

Reactions: timztunz

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing