Recommendation For Digital System Upgrade

Abbinormal

Feb 15, 2020
I am looking to upgrade my digital front end and bring it into the 21st century. I am considering one of two units, either the DCS Rossini Player or the Aurender A30 Player. The rest of the system consists of a VAC Master Pre-amp, a pair of VAC Signature 200iQ amps, Verity Otello speakers and Nordost cabling. I realize there is about a $10,000.00 difference in the retail price of the two units. Does anyone have any experience with these two units and would be willing to share their thoughts.

Thank you,

Rufus

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Hello Rufus,
Saw your 2 options.
You still need a CD drive?

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Lumin X1, get rid of your DAC, interconnect cable, and power cord.

Enatai252

Mar 2, 2013
Pacific NW
I have a Rossini DAC and clock in my study system. unless you plan to spin CD’s often you can forgo the transport. get a good NAS and a Roon Nucleus, rip your music to the NAS, download some high Rez material and subscribe to Tidal/Qobuz. You won’t look back

DeMarko

Mar 27, 2020
I am looking to upgrade my digital front end and bring it into the 21st century. I am considering one of two units, either the DCS Rossini Player or the Aurender A30 Player. The rest of the system consists of a VAC Master Pre-amp, a pair of VAC Signature 200iQ amps, Verity Otello speakers and Nordost cabling. I realize there is about a $10,000.00 difference in the retail price of the two units. Does anyone have any experience with these two units and would be willing to share their thoughts.

Thank you,

Rufus

I'd do the following combo. IMHO, of course, but I am sure in it, I'd do it even if it were more expensive than the choices above.
It will give a much better DAC and a much better transport or server in this case. It gets better as a combo. And it's cheaper even with 2 extra cables needed. And incomparably more flexible as I could upgrade any of its elements later if I wanted to.
- Antipodes Audio EX server - renderer - with user installable SSD memory,
- Lampizator Amber 3,
- a good USB cable and a good (extra) power cable.

If you really need a ripper, you add the Antipodes P1 module which serves as a high quality ripper and a vibration tool if placed beneath the EX server.
If you run large Roon library and / or use upsampling (not needed for sound quality in many users' opinion), then a more powerful Antipodes CX is the choice. CX can also have 2x SSDs vs. 1x SSD in EX, so double the memory if that's important.

If you really want to upgrade, then here's the path in terms of priority and impact on the sound quality:
- Lampizator Atlantic TRP instead of Amber 3,
- Antipodes Audio CX + EX instead of EX,
- better USB and power cables,
- best tubes for Lampizator TRP, which is super easy too.

And you can tune the system's sound to your room and preferences with tubes on Lampizator DAC, super rare and super useful feature. And you have an easy to use interface, software flexibility (all possible players) and proper user support with Antipodes servers - very important in real life.

Reactions: christoph

saturdayboy

Aug 2, 2019
Lumin X1, get rid of your DAC, interconnect cable, and power cord.
+1 for the Lumin X1. The optical connection is state of the art, and costs about $200 to implement. You can’t even get a middle of the road usb cable for that much. A lot of people have ditched dcs dacs for Lumin’s. You should definitely audition one.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing