Recommendations for NYC audio establishments?

JayR

Feb 28, 2015
Hi,

We will be visiting New York City for a week right after Christmas. I would like to visit some stores to listen to music played through components that I cannot audition in the Pacific NorthWET. There are no local dealers for Absolare, Gryphon, Rockport, Magico, etc.. It would be great if I could listen to some of these. We are building a new house and I am planning to assemble a new system. I would like to listen to as many components as I can to achieve this.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

Happy holidays to all.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Hi Jay,

You are welcome to set up an appointment to come in for a listen to Magicos that you mentioned. We have the M3, S3 and A3 right now with M2's on order, but they will not arrive until after your visit. 212-229-1842 or bob@rhapsodynyc.com

You can hear Gryphon and Rockport at Stereo Exchange I believe and Absolare at Sound by Singer.

JayR

Feb 28, 2015
Thanks for the invite. I will definitely call and see if we could setup a mutual convenient time for me to visit. Much appreciate the invite.

I will also check out Stereo Exchange and Sound by Singer.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
If you are willing to drive an hour or so, contact Bill Parrish, GTT Audio for an appointment. Carries many fine brands including YG, Absolare, etc.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
If you are willing to drive an hour or so, contact Bill Parrish, GTT Audio for an appointment. Carries many fine brands including YG, Absolare, etc.

You might ck your brands at GTT, I do NOT think Bill carries Absolare. Btw, Bill is a great guy and has many great sounding rooms at GTT....worth the drive!

Last edited:

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
I knew he did at one time but may no longer be a dealer for that brand. And Bill is a great guy with several listening rooms set up at varying price points.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
I knew he did at one time but may no longer be a dealer for that brand. And Bill is a great guy with several listening rooms set up at varying price points.

I think that you have Absolare mixed up with another brand that Bill carried. Bill never carried Absolare.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Thank you for the correction.

:) I just happen to know Kerem and Absolare very well as I carried Absolare for 3 years up until a year or two ago.

Reactions: bonzo75

JayR

Feb 28, 2015
Hi,

I would like to get your thoughts on the comparison between the Absolare and the Devialet units. I am currently using a Devialet D200 in my system. I like the functionality of a single box solution and it sounds pretty good. It has a very low noise floor, excellent sound staging, very detailed and non fatiguing sound. For some reason, it doesn’t speak to my heart. I find it difficult to understand what is missing as I cannot seem to emotionally connect to the music. I have been using the D200 for close to 5 years IIRC in my system.

For a new system that I will be building, I would still use an integrated but have not had the chance to listen to any. Some I am considering are Absolare Signature, D’Agostino Momentum, T+A 3100 HV, and the Gryphon Diablo. Unfortunately, none of them have dealer representation in my area.

Hoping to listen to some during my trip to NYC next week.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Hi,

I would like to get your thoughts on the comparison between the Absolare and the Devialet units. I am currently using a Devialet D200 in my system. I like the functionality of a single box solution and it sounds pretty good. It has a very low noise floor, excellent sound staging, very detailed and non fatiguing sound. For some reason, it doesn’t speak to my heart. I find it difficult to understand what is missing as I cannot seem to emotionally connect to the music. I have been using the D200 for close to 5 years IIRC in my system.

For a new system that I will be building, I would still use an integrated but have not had the chance to listen to any. Some I am considering are Absolare Signature, D’Agostino Momentum, T+A 3100 HV, and the Gryphon Diablo. Unfortunately, none of them have dealer representation in my area.

Hoping to listen to some during my trip to NYC next week.

Hi Jay,

I will give you my two cents when/if you visit. All of the pieces you mention are in a sonic league way above a D200, which is a nice "all in one" offering....great for convenience. The issue with all of the integratedes that you mention are going to sound different, hopefully you will be able to hear them all during your NYC stay, then you will know for yourself.

Last edited:

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Singer, Innovative, Lyric were the big 3 years ago but I've heard the landscape has changed alot.

Sound by Singer used to be the coolest shop in NYC - the amount of cool gear to swap was amazing, despite its bombastic owner. I know that store shuttered unfortunately.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing