Recommendations of bookshelf speakers

Khamonyo

Dec 5, 2020
I am building my first two channel audio system and will do it with bookshelf speakers. I dont have too much space and because of that I need a bookshelf that sounds nice for listeners in near distance. I dont have a fixed budget, I would like to buy one of the best bookshelf speaker. I came to the world of high end audio from headphones stuff, now I wanna try a speaker. Sorry if my english spelling contains erros, english is not my primary language.

So, if anyone could help with recommendations of bookshelf speakers, I will be really apreciate.

Reactions: JYACO

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Welcome to WBF!

I'm sure we have bookshelf speaker experts here. I don't know off-hand who they are, however.

I heard the Cessaro desktop mini-horn speaker, at audioquattr's and I thought it sounded great!

wcheng

Aug 6, 2012
San Diego
If price is no object, Vimberg, Sonus Faber, Harbeth, Joseph Audio, Alta, and Magico are all worth researching. There are many more, but those are the first ones that come to mind.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
My recommendations can only be what I am familiar with. One would be my previous monitors, at $ 3 K. I reviewed them here:

Review: Reference 3A MM de Capo BE monitors

If cost is no issue, I would definitely recommend my current monitors at $ 12 K:

Review: Reference 3A Reflector monitors

The orchestral and bass performance that I describe in my original review has improved dramatically in my current system configuration. For improvements in orchestral performance, see post #35 and beyond on that thread, and the newest improvements are not even described there. The improvements in bass performance were simply dependent on the system setup in my room (without changing the location of the speakers). The monitors can now play satisfyingly on much material without subwoofers, as other reviewers have stated, even though I still prefer them with.

These Reference 3A Reflector monitors, in my system configuration that has vastly improved over the years, beat what I have heard from Magico monitors so far at double the price. I do have to say though that, since the speakers are so musically "outspoken" and highly resolving, they are quite unforgiving as well, when it comes to quality of electronics and room acoustics. It took me a while to get the stellar sound that I feel I have now. If you want an 'easy' set-up, these might not be for you. My previous MM De Capo BE monitors were much more forgiving and "plug 'n play".

Regardless of monitor, my recommendation for custom-made, excellent while very much affordable, speaker stands is firm:

Review: Sound Anchors Signature speaker stands

Reactions: RDSChicago

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
Hedd active nearfied monitors - just add a source eg dac/streamer

Last edited:

jbr7

May 19, 2020
I live in a one bedroom apartment with a not so large living room. The bookshelf size speakers (on stands) for my system are the Von Schweikert Unifield 2 Signature model. This is the upgraded version of their less costly Unifield 2, which I used to have. Both are excellent sounding speakers and I recommend them highly. I believe the impetus for the introduction of the Signature model was to present a quality, smaller size speaker for high-end audio consumers in Asia, where living space is often quite limited.

DSkip

Industry Expert
Aug 26, 2013
Arlington, TX
www.audiothesis.com
No top tier monitor is going to sound good without a fairly significant investment in gear around it. While you may not have a budget on speakers, you should consider one for the system if this is your first foray into high end audio.

Reactions: LenWhite and Al M.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Last edited:

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Borresen 01, biggest soundstage i've ever heard from a bookshelf.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

Any competent monitor of the better kind should be able to throw a quite large soundstage with the right electronics. That's what people don't understand, that a small speaker does NOT necessarily equal a small sound.

Extrapolating from what I hear in other systems, in my medium sized room with limited width (24 L x 12 W x 8.5 H) my monitors are capable of throwing as large a soundstage as any speaker could in that room. Size of some individual images may be another matter, but I have learned to overcome the dreaded pinpointing, for sure, and landed at rather large images on average.

This does not mean that a small speaker can fill a large room with loud music as well as a substantial multi-way floor stander can. Physics dictates the limits, leaving monitors at their best for medium to small sized rooms when the intention is to play loud (I get peaks of 95 dBa, approx. 100 dB, out of mine with little if any strain, after having worked on getting rid of all kinds of distortion).

The original poster says he has a smaller space. This will also physically limit the size of the achievable soundstage.

Khamonyo

Dec 5, 2020
Many recommendations, I am analyzing each one of them, thankyou. I also received the recommendation of the Raidho speaker, model TD1.2. My equipment will be made up of Esoteric electronics and source, the only part left to choose are the power amp and speaker, maybe I'll choose an esoteric power amp too.

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Many recommendations, I am analyzing each one of them, thankyou. I also received the recommendation of the Raidho speaker, model TD1.2. My equipment will be made up of Esoteric electronics and source, the only part left to choose are the power amp and speaker, maybe I'll choose an esoteric power amp too.
If you have the chance to demo the above Borresens at a dealers i wouldn't hesitate.
I would take Borresen over Raidhos, it is a much newer design.

Reactions: Khamonyo

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
IMO the bookshelf speaker is a field with an embarrassment of riches. They benefit mightily from not having to share a cabinet with a woofer. Many do however suffer from bumping up the curve to create the illusion of bass.
This one is pricey circa $20k. But it is the best I have heard.
WEB-GAMUT-RS3-MAIN1.jpg

benito

Jul 23, 2018
France
I live in a one bedroom apartment with a not so large living room. The bookshelf size speakers (on stands) for my system are the Von Schweikert Unifield 2 Signature model. This is the upgraded version of their less costly Unifield 2, which I used to have. Both are excellent sounding speakers and I recommend them highly. I believe the impetus for the introduction of the Signature model was to present a quality, smaller size speaker for high-end audio consumers in Asia, where living space is often quite limited.
I have the Von Schweikert Unifield 2 mk 2 in very large room (300 mcube). They behave as big ones, put a lot of pressure at high level. They create fine, well detailled sound and large sound stage. The bass are well articulated at least for the music I am playing (rock and jazz septet max), very good on female voice (Ella, Nina and Billie). Two drawbacks: they needs to be quite separate and they require good amp, sources and cables.
Will love to ear the signature version and also to the Kaiser Chiara

jbr7

May 19, 2020
I have the Von Schweikert Unifield 2 mk 2 in very large room (300 mcube). They behave as big ones, put a lot of pressure at high level. They create fine, well detailled sound and large sound stage. The bass are well articulated at least for the music I am playing (rock and jazz septet max), very good on female voice (Ella, Nina and Billie). Two drawbacks: they needs to be quite separate and they require good amp, sources and cables.
Will love to ear the signature version and also to the Kaiser Chiara
Well, Benito, if Covid-19 ever ends and you are able to get to Los Angeles, you are welcome to come over for a listen.

benito

Jul 23, 2018
France
Well, Benito, if Covid-19 ever ends and you are able to get to Los Angeles, you are welcome to come over for a listen.
Thanks for the invit. I used to come in the US for work (Conference), I may in the future but with the covid everything is in standby mode.

Duke LeJeune

[Industry Expert]/Member Sponsor
Jul 22, 2013
Princeton, Texas

One of the imo beneficial design features of the Borresen is the sub-enclosure for the tweeter which harvests the backwave energy and directs it rearwards. I've not heard a pair, but can see how this feature would contribute to its soundstaging capabilities.

LenWhite

Feb 11, 2011
Florida
systems.audiogon.com

The Borresen 01 or the Raidho D1 coupled with a really good subwoofer (JL Audio F212v2 with the JL Audio CR1) would fill the room with a very realistic wide, deep soundstage with a smaller image than larger speakers. You'll also need a top of the line DAC (EMM LABS DV2). Many would consider this a top audio system capable of rivaling all but the huge two box speaker systems.

But w/o addressing the room acoustics and audio power cabling and distribution (Ansuz Mainz 8), you will never hear the optimum this system is capable of reproducing.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing