Recommended Amp(s) from Gryphon Trident II

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
Hello good people of WBF,

I need some advice, what amp would you think would be synergistic with the Trident II. These are active btw so I only need to drive the mids and tweeter.

I currently have Mac 601 monos and yes people either love them or poopoo on them. I can certainly jump for the Gryphon EVO but what else should i look at, or would the Macs actually be ok here? I am weary of buying and selling so would like a long term solution. And no I am not at the extensive level of most here (your depth of knowledge is quite impressive). Just want a fire and forget solution.

Best
Hugh

Reactions: GMKF

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I see the Trident is 95dB sensitive. This means you have tons of options!

I personally like tube amplifiers. I would consider on my short list ARC 160 monos, MastersounD PF100 Litz monos, VTL MB-125 monos (to get the EL-34 tubes) and AM Audio 833S monos.

But of course you have to decide if you like how tubes sound on the speakers. Especially since you are driving only the midrange cones and the AMT I think a tube amplifier is sonically and technically a wonderful solution.

This is what I did for myself on the Pendragons (VTL Siegfried II monos).

I see you already have an ARC preamp, so an ARC amplifier might be a nice, simple solution.

If you want to stay with the same amplifier topology as the Gryphon amp built into the speaker then Gryphon EVO is a great choice. Other solid-state amplifiers might sound a little bit different in one or more ways than the EVO but at that point, if you want to stay with solid-state, I think it makes sense just to get a Gryphon amplifier.

Last edited:

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
Thanks Ron, Oh boy lots a reading tonight, I actually like the research. So either a Tube, for that leaning toward ARC since I have Ref 6 or stick with Gryphon. Both are about same price range I think. The VTL's Siegfrieds are very nice! but i think staying in the same gene pool makes a lot of sense.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I agree. If you want to go tubes then ARC makes great sense. If you want to stay solid-state than EVO makes great sense.

I personally would go with ARC for tubes. ARC’s new 160M monos would be wonderful! You would be done!

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I listen Pantheon in one shop with CH and i find very good because Pantheon i found a very very little on dark side while CH is a little of clear side so could be a good match.New A 1.5 can be a good choice together with EVO,but everyone has his ideas so will be good if you could try before to buy some

GMKF

VIP/Donor
Aug 15, 2017
Munich
I would also suggest a look at the CH A1.5 amps. The upgrade-ability is very nice. You can go from a stereo amp to two (or even four) mono amps by just buying a second amp.

You may also want to check DartZeel out.

I have not heard the Audio Research 160M's, but I trust Ron's ears.

PS: Nice Radical you have there :)

Reactions: HughP3

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
gian60 and gmkf thank you for the CH suggestion. I am not familiar with the company but they evidently are highly regarded.

Young Skywalker

Apr 30, 2012
Hello good people of WBF,

I need some advice, what amp would you think would be synergistic with the Trident II. These are active btw so I only need to drive the mids and tweeter.

I currently have Mac 601 monos and yes people either love them or poopoo on them. I can certainly jump for the Gryphon EVO but what else should i look at, or would the Macs actually be ok here? I am weary of buying and selling so would like a long term solution. And no I am not at the extensive level of most here (your depth of knowledge is quite impressive). Just want a fire and forget solution.

Best
Hugh
If I owned this loudspeaker system then the first amplifiers that I would try on the MTM array would be the Aries Cerat Ianus Issentia monoblocks. I would use the active crossover inside the Trident II to first remove the low bass from the signal going to the Ianus Essential monoblocks.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing