Recommended USB to SPDIF converters for Metrum Octave - Audiophilleo/JKSPDIF Mk III?

Kevin Doyle

Nov 18, 2011
Hello,

I am looking for a USB to SPDIF converter to use with a Metrum Octave DAC. The primary ones under consideration are:

1. JKSPDIF Mk III ($450)
2. Audiophilleo 2 ($579)
3. Audiophilleo 2 with Pure Power ($999)

These configuration would be computer->USB to SPDIF->Metrum Octave->Rogue Cronus->Harbeth P3ESR

Aside from the obvious cost consideration favoring the JKSPDIF Mk III and Linux support favoring the Audiophilleo, can anyone comment on how the sound compares for any of the units?

Understanding that all of this is system dependent, I would love to hear from anyone with experience with any of the units mentioned above. I would prefer to do without the Pure Power upgrade, to keep costs down, but am willing to spring for it if it would being a significant improvement over the stock AP2.

Both offer a home trial after purchase, but it'd be nice to get owner feedback before going through the purchase. I have noticed that there were people who have mentioned owning the Audiophillio but searching through threads hasn't helped to find out if they kept them and were still happy with them. Any feedback from owners/past owners of either unit would be appreciated.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Not familiar with any, for the record Inam using the Stello converter works very well in my system (Mach2 -> Havana DAC)

jkeny

Industry Expert, Member Sponsor
Feb 9, 2012
Ireland

Kevin Doyle

Nov 18, 2011
Kevin,
Hi again - I see you are doing the rounds :) Fair play, it's what research is all about. If you want an idea about the Audiophileo Vs Mk3 from some owners (not with the Metrum though), have a look at this thread http://jplay.eu/forum/computer-audio/specification-for-a-high-end-dedicated-audio-pc/page-19/ starting at post 926
And here http://jplay.eu/forum/computer-audio/windows-8-initial-listening-impressions/page-4/ at post 170 he gives his summary

Enjoy the read :)

Thanks, John. I plan to get all my obsessing out of the way now, because I don't want to do it after I decide and am living with the product.

I'd read Kyrill's posts on JPLAY, BTW, and on another forum. I'm much less hardcore than him. :) Here's another one you've probably seen. Not a comparison, but appreciation. Good thread.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/483900/review-jkeny-s-modified-hiface/195#post_7619500

As an aside, John, I'm going to be mad at you if I end up tethered to Windows for the next few years if I get your converter, start using JPLAY, and love it. I was just about away from Windows and may end up being dragged back in if I like what I hear. Damn you, John! :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing