Record Buying and Higher Prices

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Got this in an e-mail today:

AS higher prices.png
While I bought more from them in the past, nowadays I buy very few (if any) records from AS. "John Williams in Vienna" last October, and the Analogphonic Bernstein 'Mahler Sym 8 & 10' before that - iirc. I've had mixed reactions to newer Analog Productions releases and their used record department is, uh, somewhat unpredictable. Improvements in my DIY RCM led me to make more purchases of original Deccas via Discogs, though crazy overseas shipping have led to fewer 'take a chance' purchases.

I realize some are reluctant to talk about a favorite reseller.
I'll still ask: From whom do you buy records?

Reactions: jeff1225

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Mostly AS or Audiophile USA. The prices aren't the real issue for me, it's the interesting titles which I am personally finding less these days...

Recordsguy

Sep 6, 2015
There are bargains that can be found, depending on your location, I never pay more than[25.00]for an LP.

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
Mostly 2nd hand, on Discogs and other sellers I have confidence with.
Classical music can be found for very good prices and in NM condition.

Reactions: tima

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012

View attachment 82012
While I bought more from them in the past, nowadays I buy very few (if any) records from AS. "John Williams in Vienna" last October, and the Analogphonic Bernstein 'Mahler Sym 8 & 10' before that - iirc. I've had mixed reactions to newer Analog Productions releases and their used record department is, uh, somewhat unpredictable. Improvements in my DIY RCM led me to make more purchases of original Deccas via Discogs, though crazy overseas shipping have led to fewer 'take a chance' purchases.

I'm with you 100%. I've had some mixed success with new records and once I bought the KL Audio they were no longer worth the rist.

Reactions: tima

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah

View attachment 82012

You know what I think of so called "audiophile" labels, their reissues and specially of heavy vinyl sound so all I buy is used vintage vinyl. Of course it's not a guarantee and there are many poor sounding records but I still make out ok on average. I still buy some new pressings of current music if I can't get the CD or I just feel like buying the LP.

david

Reactions: jeff1225 and tima

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
You know what I think of so called "audiophile" labels, their reissues and specially of heavy vinyl sound so all I buy is used vintage vinyl. Of course it's not a guarantee and there are many poor sounding records but I still make out ok on average. I still buy some new pressings of current music if I can't get the CD or I just feel like buying the LP.

david

I will say if it had not been for Michael Hobson's Classic Records I would not have enjoyed several of the titles that I do because originals in decent condition were unaffordable. Dorati's Firebird, Reiner's Zarathustra, Paray's Ravel & Ibert, among several others.

I'm with you 100%. I've had some mixed success with new records and once I bought the KL Audio they were no longer worth the rist.

Yes - the advent of quality record cleaning machines is a blessing that extends the viability of the vinyl medium.

Reactions: jeff1225

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Since I am pretty much done buying used records (I stopped after 15,000), almost all classical and the majority from many visits to the UK, here are three sources. I had several more over the last 25 years, but almost all of those are out of business - owners retiring or dying. Both of these specialize in classical records - lots of Decca, EMI and other top labels. Almost all originals (the occasional reissues are clearly indicated). No problem with returns.

Sophia Singer - sophia@spiralclassics.co.uk.

She publishes an online catalogue with updates a couple times a year. I have bought from Sophia for many years. Extremely reliable. I visited her a few years ago - she is located in the English Midlands, and when I was visiting Mike Mailes (retired Grammy winning Decca engineer) and his wife near Sheffield around 2015, Mike drove me to visit Sophia who lives a few towns away. Prices are quite reasonable for what you get. Her stock list is arranged by price and alternatively by catalogue number.

Ambergreen is just outside of London, and I have only bought from them online. They have been very reliable, although I haven't bought from them in several years - my collection became too complete and I couldn't find any of my wants on their list. I think the owner's name is Pete but don't remember for sure. He did deliver a couple of my larger orders to my London hotel several years ago. I found they appear to be still active. Here is their website.

We didn't go to London in 2020 or this year, so I haven't been to my favorite walk-in bricks and mortar used classical (and other) browsing record store in London - Music and Tape Exchange. They are very near the Nottinghill Gate tube or bus stop. They used have a complete used Classical Music Store, on three floors, a few stores away, but this was consolidated into their main used record store at 38 Nottinghill Gate. The classical records are in one of the back rooms - it has moved from floor to floor over the years, shrinking in size. So I don't know exactly the size right now.
They price their records fairly and every month or two, go through and decrease the price by one pound. Finally, after it gets to 50p, they discard or donate them. So I usually find some records selling for a couple of pounds that I want. Over the many years (especially when they were much bigger), I would buy a few hundred records (mostly narrow band Decca SXL and postage stamp EMI ASD) for a few pounds each, and the occasional more expensive wide band groove Decca and early EMI ASD three digit record. They usually have a box or two of rarer and pricier records in the back that you have to ask to see. I don't know whether they do any online sales - I never bought from them that way.

Larry

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
One more extremely well known classical record online store is Peter Furop's Mikrokosmos. Peter ran this out of Canada for many years. Then a few years ago, he moved all the records to Hungary, and all the shipments of records come from there. However, I believe the order processing still takes place in Canada. Peter has created the now standard label coding that just about all dealers and collectors use for classical records and has labelographies for sale, with very fine miniature cards with excellent pictures of labels and their evolution over the years for each record company and series. Stock rotates, so any one catalogue will not have all the stock available, and as stock is sold, it is deleted. However, records not sold from previous lists remain available. After a cycle of about a year (correct me please on the time), the unsold stock has the price reduced and then after another cycle, further reduced. All records are sold at fixed prices, with reductions made as noted above. I've bought many records from Mikrokosmos. The only caveat is that I only buy A graded records. A- or lower I have found not satisfactory. Even A graded records (which I think are only visually graded) can sometimes be liberally graded. I used to buy from American dealer Dave Canfield, and when Canfield retired many years ago, he merged his stock with Peter's. Larry

Reactions: nickif

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing