Record Cleaning Machines

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I agree I am on my third Audio desk I have no thoughts of this as as a long term machine. It is not will it fail, but when it will fail. Easy to use and it cleans well but this breaks down as often as my mercedes ml 500.

I have since bought the KL Audio. It has been perfect so far. I finally got the ADS back from Germany. I haven't tried it, so I may just sell it at a good discount.

rugyboogie

May 30, 2010
Vancouver, BC
Received my KL a few days ago and am extremely happy with it.
Convenience of the KL vs my Loricraft is a big plus.
The surface noise is virtually gone on most records, simple superb.
Friend of mine on the coast is on his third Audi Desk.... the latest one is working well for him.

VT Skier

Feb 24, 2011
MRV, Vermont
I'm in the same boat as Christian -- the AD is great when it works. My first problem was records coming out wet, which required a return to The Cable Co for a new top plate. Recently the rollers stopped working, which will also require a return for another repair. I've had it for a year and maybe used it for a total of a month, which is very disappointing given the cost.

Ethan at The Cable Co has been very nice and helpful, but it's still frustrating. I'm afraid I would not recommend purchasing this product if you're looking for a reliable cleaner. If you don't mind losing yours for frequent repairs, it does perform very well when it's working.

jn229

Jul 23, 2012
Southwestern Ontario
I know that all the rage for you high-rollers is the KLA and the AD, but I'm really liking the Nitty Gritty 2.5Fi that I recently acquired. As you may know, I was using the manual Spin-Clean since I needed something....anything. I've been playing around with various methods in the cleaning cycle and decided to stick with a very basic formula. I first do a simple manual clean with the Spin Clean and let it dry. I then use the NG for a deeper clean and vacuum. I've been very pleased with the results and do not find a need to extend my regimen by rinsing after the NG clean cycle. Some will say that's a mistake on my part, but I'm not concerned about it tbh. I've never done it before (other than during this trial testing period) and have found no difference in sound quality or detrimental effects to my LP's.

I know that the VPI 16.5 gets most of the praise in this under $1,000 price segment, but I wouldn't trade the NG for it...no offense meant towards the 16.5.

Like John I recently purchased a RCM, mine is an Okki Nokki. The Okki replaced a Spin Clean. I really do not feel the differences between VPI, Nitty Gritty and Okki Nokki are as great as the cleaning solutions and technics. To date (about a month) I have been using a DIY (alcohol, distilled water, soap drops) solution for a first scrub, followed by a second scrub with the Spin Clean solution, finished with two rinses of water (read: I am using what is on hand). This Okki Nokki cleaning regiment easily surpasses the Spin Clean and I am very pleased. I have definitely noticed the static electricity issue. Simply carrying a cleaned LP from an adjacent room to my table shows specs on the LP under my table's light and my carbon fibre matt lifts with the record. Looking at and playing the finished cleaned product I feel better results can be achieved with different solutions and modified technics. I have three close audiophile friends, all three use different machines, solutions and technics. They are coming over today; anyone want to guess what one of the subjects will be?

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Guys Alcohol can make records sound better but you do not put it on the records.

Correct! You pour into a glass with some ice and then just sit back. :D

jn229

Jul 23, 2012
Southwestern Ontario
Alcohol can damage records, at least it could a millenium ago when I was better versed in such things. Is that still true?

My DIY alcohol mixture is history. Will be washing with Spin Clean Wash till I purchase something stronger. Static off the vacuum machine is a nuisance, any suggestions?

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
The usual solution is to ground the device and perhaps use a wire or even mesh screen to discharge static from the airstream. Without knowing what your device is like I can't help more than that, I do not own a record-cleaning machine now.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Guys Alcohol can make records sound better but you do not put it on the records.

Do you know how long you'd have to let the record sit in a "diluted" ROH solution for any damage (which is in most chemical warnings done at 100%) or leaching of plasticizers (that is what most worry about) to occur? :) Hours. I know because I looked into it when I wrote my original RCF article back in the '90s. So a minute or two isn't going to do anything. That said, I think the new enzyme based record cleaning solutions produce better results.

kdbrink

Aug 30, 2013
I have a Klaudio machine on its way. Looking forward to testing it out. I like the fact that it has adapters for 10 and 7 inch discs.

kdbrink

Aug 30, 2013
Has anyone tried cleaning old 78's on an ultrasonic machine? I contacted Klaudio, and they said they have not tested their unit with 78's.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I'm convinced that my NG 2.5Fi is introducing static after a cleaning/vacuuming. It's not audible static, but rather the fact both my felt and foam mats are sticking to the vinyl when I remove it from the platter. It's driving me crazy. I bought a cheap Pro-ject Cork mat yesterday and will try that out a little later today.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I'm convinced that my NG 2.5Fi is introducing static after a cleaning/vacuuming. It's not audible static, but rather the fact both my felt and foam mats are sticking to the vinyl when I remove it from the platter. It's driving me crazy. I bought a cheap Pro-ject Cork mat yesterday and will try that out a little later today.

You might try reducing the number of revolution times while drying to the minimum necessary.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
like no more than 3 revolutions under vacuum.

Absolutely. The number of revolutions one uses still might depend upon each machine's vacuum suction/motor. I haven't used a NG in years and the issue IIRC is that the LP is dried upside down so you can't easily gauge whether or not the LP is completely dry. (in contrast say to a VPI.) But yes that's about the number I used with the 16.5 and maybe a little less with the Typhoon.

The real issue still comes down to fluid hydrodynamics eg. As the volume of RCF left on the record goes down, the fluid's surface tension rises. The upshot is the last vestiges of RCF are the hardest to remove and that's why people like that extra revolution (s) or adding a surfactant that decreases surface tension (that of course has other side effects). That's why there's something to be said for adjustable vacuum machines though one still has to use caution here too!

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello, John. Those are good suggestions. How is the humidity level in your listening room? IIRC, you have a carpet that you most likely walk across that may be introducing unwanted electrical charges as well. Adjusting the humidity level may thwart some of the static buildup.

Tom

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing