Record Store Day, anyone go, what did you get?

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
It was a family day with the kids who were back from college for the Easter break. We visited several indie record stores in the centre of Brussels. We got coffee and croissants in the first one as we arrived a little bit before the opening hour.

I found almost everything I wanted (Europe RSD): Frank Black (2 albums), Editors, Peter Gabriel, Morcheeba, Pink Floyd, Prefab Sprout, Rolling Stones (2 Albums), Joe Strummer and Weezer (2 Albums).

Reactions: NorthStar

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
I live in Seattle but happened to be in portland today. Went to Second Ave records. Jammed pack line to buy 30 to 40 deep!

Got Editors, Fela /Ayers, Iggy Pop 7", Roots Radics, Gainsbourg, Tosca...bunch of other stuff gone already. So I bought a few other non record store day discs out of pleasure and frustration :)

...Pharoah Sanders, Low, Linval Thompson, Stalawa, Toure Kunda etc....

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
Is anyone getting the Bob Dylan release? I'm stuck in the hospital until 5, would have loved to pick this one up this morning. I am hearing reports that the pressing is noisy, off centered and has non-fill :confused:

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Dylan was long gone where I was.. And I got there 5 min after opening.

Was there a Sigur Ros release? I didn't see it....

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
I want one ;)

for record store day I usually avoid reissues in favor of new releases but I didnt see most of what I hoped for...

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
No classical at all the stores in town...
I saw the master list a few days ago at the store and there was zero classical on it.
I dont see the classical crowd as a mob shoping scene and nobody asked about it while I was there.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Well, I meant my town, but ya. They have "sections" but there's nothing really in them.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Here's what I ended up with. There is always a lot of fools gold on RSD and this year was no exception. But some of these are fairly good...

Title, Artist
The Rolling Stones Songbook, Andrew Oldham Orchestra
Front And Center, Beth Hart
Evans In England, Bill Evans
Blood On The Tracks, Bob Dylan
Everybody Here Hates You, Courtney Barnett
Live From Moscow, Elton John
One More Car One More Rider , Eric Clapton
Les Levrés Rouge, Francios De Roubiax
Moontan, Golden Earring
Dedication, Herbie Hancock
Strums The Blues, Lightnin' Hopkins
Delta Acoustic Sessions, Mumford & Sons
Rated PG, Peter Gabriel
The Crow, Various artists
Back On Indiana Avenue, Wes Montgomery

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Here's what I ended up with. There is always a lot of fools gold on RSD and this year was no exception. But some of these are fairly good...

Title, Artist
The Rolling Stones Songbook, Andrew Oldham Orchestra
Front And Center, Beth Hart
Evans In England, Bill Evans
Blood On The Tracks, Bob Dylan
Everybody Here Hates You, Courtney Barnett
Live From Moscow, Elton John
One More Car One More Rider , Eric Clapton
Les Levrés Rouge, Francios De Roubiax
Moontan, Golden Earring
Dedication, Herbie Hancock
Strums The Blues, Lightnin' Hopkins
Delta Acoustic Sessions, Mumford & Sons
Rated PG, Peter Gabriel
The Crow, Various artists
Back On Indiana Avenue, Wes Montgomery
Wow your store had a much better selection.

Reactions: bazelio

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
No classical at all the stores in town...

I don't think I've ever seen a classical LP on a RSD list? Though I did stop paying attention for a couple of years when my life got really busy at work/small kids.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I mean even non-RSD. The stores tend to have little sales, or it's just nice to show up to support, but... this town is a bit dry in the genre.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
In all the record stores I have visited in recent years have had zero new classical in any format and the used is treated like the redheaded stepchild. I still paw through it hoping to eventually fine the elusive Gaite someone might overlook.

Back in the late 70's through the 80's Tower Records on Sunset in Hollywood had Tower Classical in a separate building across the street from the main store and it always had people in it Not sure when they closed it but it was well before the chain itself closed.

Hell, look at the picture I posted they even left the Disney records out over the classical! :eek:

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
Sadly I think a lot of it ends up in landfills if record store owners turn down classical collections when people bring them in for sale.

Ten years ago I found a ton of amazing classical on vinyl at the two Half Priced Books in Houston. These days I would agree with you guys with how it looks at my local store.

I go to a decent number of concerts (New York/Boston primarily) around the world and most classical fans are digital or streaming.

Reactions: bonzo75

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Ten years ago I bought someones classical records at an estate auction. $90. I took many trips in the car to bring home around 1100. Left about the same behind. No room.

With classical they are considered worthless unless they are the 'goods' that the general sells for huge money ...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing