Record Store Day, anyone go, what did you get?

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Well, it's true that most classical is garbage that won't even play right... but still, rarely is it all bad in any collection.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
OMG don't say that, you're stressing me...
Folsom I know a record store in Everett that has 10k plus classical records that if you rolled in with a box truck he would make you a hell of a deal. I saw a couple that I wanted the were so buried it would take an hour of unstacking to get to. Stacked 10 feet tall or more.
Click the link and check out the pictures of the store and scroll down to the bottom and look and the picture of the girl looking at records and look at the wall of records 12 feet tall behind her. They are headed to the land fill and its 99% classical.
https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb=!1s0x549aaa95fcb4d7d5:0xfec1d0efd8cde389!2m22!2m2!1i80!2i80!3m1!2i20!16m16!1b1!2m2!1m1!1e1!2m2!1m1!1e3!2m2!1m1!1e5!2m2!1m1!1e4!2m2!1m1!1e6!3m1!7e115!4shttps://lh5.googleusercontent.com/p/AF1QipOGUyM_tYicAMfu7LlmM5mK4vj_wn6FcostaCDn=w390-h262-n-k-no!5srecord+stores+in+everett+wa+-+Google+Search&imagekey=!1e10!2sAF1QipOGUyM_tYicAMfu7LlmM5mK4vj_wn6FcostaCDn

Last edited:
Reactions: NorthStar

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Sadly I think a lot of it ends up in landfills if record store owners turn down classical collections when people bring them in for sale.

Ten years ago I found a ton of amazing classical on vinyl at the two Half Priced Books in Houston. These days I would agree with you guys with how it looks at my local store.

I go to a decent number of concerts (New York/Boston primarily) around the world and most classical fans are digital or streaming.

Igor Levitt even said in an interview at Wigmore Hall that he prefers digital

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Folsom I know a record store in Everett that has 10k plus classical records that if you rolled in with a box truck he would make you a hell of a deal. I saw a couple that I wanted the were so buried it would take an hour of unstacking to get to. Stacked 10 feet tall or more.
Click the link and check out the pictures of the store and scroll down to the bottom and look and the picture of the girl looking at records and look at the wall of records 12 feet tall behind her. They are headed to the land fill and its 99% classical.
https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb=!1s0x549aaa95fcb4d7d5:0xfec1d0efd8cde389!2m22!2m2!1i80!2i80!3m1!2i20!16m16!1b1!2m2!1m1!1e1!2m2!1m1!1e3!2m2!1m1!1e5!2m2!1m1!1e4!2m2!1m1!1e6!3m1!7e115!4shttps://lh5.googleusercontent.com/p/AF1QipOGUyM_tYicAMfu7LlmM5mK4vj_wn6FcostaCDn=w390-h262-n-k-no!5srecord+stores+in+everett+wa+-+Google+Search&imagekey=!1e10!2sAF1QipOGUyM_tYicAMfu7LlmM5mK4vj_wn6FcostaCDn

Wow. I have to think on that. Even if I said I'm not sure I could get to it for a little bit. My only question is if there's good stuff in it or if it's so picked through I'll be wasting a lot of time and effort. I mean, I'd be happy if I got a few hundred that were good potentially.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
As far as I know its not picked through, he despises classical as its a loser for him occupying his record bins. They are just byproducts of buying collections. I saw a couple of the audiophile discs from the other thread here and I showed him where they were and the response was that it would be X amount of dollars per hour till he gets to them. I told him online would be easier and cheaper for everyone involved, he agreed.
Contact him and check it out. Dude is bat shit crazy, fun to talk to and even funner to listen to him talk to other people.
Guarentee you he would make a smokin deal. Especially if he does not have to help.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
As far as I know its not picked through, he despises classical as its a loser for him occupying his record bins. They are just byproducts of buying collections. I saw a couple of the audiophile discs from the other thread here and I showed him where they were and the response was that it would be X amount of dollars per hour till he gets to them. I told him online would be easier and cheaper for everyone involved, he agreed.
Contact him and check it out. Dude is bat shit crazy, fun to talk to and even funner to listen to him talk to other people.
Guarentee you he would make a smokin deal. Especially if he does not have to help.
And I call dibs if there is an LSC Gaite in there!

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
We'll see. I have to look into the situation. I know they won't all fit in my SUV!!!

Reactions: Hi-FiGuy

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
How's the sound on the Grateful Dead LPs? I figured it'd be poor, and decided to pass. The Elton John is a good performance and mediocre SQ.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
How's the sound on the Grateful Dead LPs? I figured it'd be poor, and decided to pass. The Elton John is a good performance and mediocre SQ.
Was going to ask you about the Elton John SQ but figured as much and took the chance. The ELP and Joel the same thought process as the concerts are in what I call their prime time. I will put up with mediocre SQ to hear Liberty Devitto bang the skins.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
And went back today and got;
Los Lobotomys
Beth Hart Front and Center
Steve Gadd Band (I have reservations anytime the flugelhorn is involved, but took the chance because...Steve Gadd)

Reactions: bazelio

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
I'm going to see James Taylor with Steve Gadd next weekend. It could be boring because .... James Taylor. Hehe but we'll see.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
I'm going to see James Taylor with Steve Gadd next weekend. It could be boring because .... James Taylor. Hehe but we'll see.
LOL! The Gadd Band is essentially the James Taylor band without James and some back up singers. Some of the videos I watched tonight were off the hook!
Check this out on your rig or some headphones, legendary playing by all!

Reactions: bazelio

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing