Recording Studio Cables Organizing

dereklotts

Sep 23, 2017
Sydney
Hi,

I'm starting home recording studio business and right now I'm in a phase of setting up all that necessary gear: computer, DAW, monitors, microphones and stuff in my basement. The thing is that I have tons of cables, I need 'em all, and I tend to be organized as much as I can. Does anyone have some advice how to organize those, so I don't have to spend half of day searchin' which one goes where? Maybe I should put sticky notes :)

Don Hills

Jun 20, 2013
Wellington, New Zealand
I suggest you try Gearslutz Forum, if you haven't already. But by all means update here if you get some good tips, because many audiophiles also face the problem of a rat's nest of wires behind the equipment shelves.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Try some colored tie straps. You can find multiple colored ones online. I separated by input and output and then by equipment. Gearslutz and Pro Sound web are good resources as mentioned.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Turnaround time is important so I would have a cable closet and hang the cables by their barrels if short or wound properly if they are long cables. I would arrange the cables as follows

I Analog I/O
a) XLR
b) TRS for instruments and DI boxes
c) MiniTRS if you will have a patch bay for outboard gear

II Digital
a) AES (XLR also so mark to differentiate)
b) SPDIF
-Coax
-ST Glass
-BNC
c) Clocks (BNC also again mark to differentiate)
d) Computer interface cables
-Firewire
-Ethernet
-USB

Keep each of the types in the same places and arrange them by length. Keep masking tape and a sharpie handy for signal flow purposes. Peel off when cables go back to storage. Good luck and enjoy!

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
To cut down on the many cables that are used, I have mostly DB25 cable looms. One cable for 8 mic feeds. Also, I have hardwired most of my connections to cut down on clutter.
As noted above, I also use the Dymo label maker to put on the ends of my XLR cables.

wall.jpg

wall 2.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing