Reels collection and Revox A77

egidius

Member Sponsor
Feb 13, 2011
Switzerland
I wonder if you could help me.
When picking up a great collection of 78's, the owner begged me to lighten his load of Reel tapes with his homemade recordings, mostly classical music of great Radio live concerts from Swiss and German radio stations (he had an absolute SOTA system including handmade Radio..). Along with two frugal Revox A 77 (his Studer was sold separately..)
Now I am somewhat at a loss. Should I try to restaure the Revox, probably the one with Dolby, it being an MK4.
Or should I sell them. I fear, the tapes not being listened to for an estimated 20years will be over.

Any advice appreciated.
Egidius

stellavox

Apr 23, 2010
Egidius,

Since you have both the recorder AND the tapes, I'd suggest getting the 77 "going". If it hasn't been used in a while, plug it in to your mains thru a Variac (or bring it to someone who has the capability) to see if there are any electrical problems. If it seems to work; clean the heads and try a tape. You may have a number of enjoyable tapes there to listen. From there on you have a number of mechanical and electrical "restoration options" which you could try yourself or have a tech do. Lots of restoration/modification info on tapeheads.net.

Enjoy

Charles

Pacha

VIP/Donor
Apr 23, 2014
I agree with stellavox, you have both the tapes and the machines, give them a try. By the way, I have a large collection of 1950s RCA tapes that are much older than what you are talking about and they are fabulous to listen to on my Revox PR 99 Mk III.
Enjoy a trip into R2R tape.

Reactions: carolus

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing