ReelTapeWorkshop on April 25, 2019 in Berkeley, CA

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
Would you be filming this event or at least share notes from this event for people from afar :)

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Interested in learning more about this opportunity.

panreels

Aug 28, 2016
It’s been a little over a mouth since I attended the workshop in Berkeley, Ca and I thought I would give you my 2 cent worth,

First off I would like to thank and say Tim Marutani was a great host and very accommodating, but for the workshop it self I got little or nothing out of it and I think most of us on this forum it would have been about the same, although the lunch was good, and for those that did not or could not attend, you saved $500 so go out and buy some tapes, I’m not here to attack the workshop, and these are just my own personal thoughts.

waltzingbear

Apr 8, 2019
Portland, Oregon
It’s been a little over a mouth since I attended the workshop in Berkeley, Ca and I thought I would give you my 2 cent worth,

First off I would like to thank and say Tim Marutani was a great host and very accommodating, but for the workshop it self I got little or nothing out of it and I think most of us on this forum it would have been about the same, although the lunch was good, and for those that did not or could not attend, you saved $500 so go out and buy some tapes, I’m not here to attack the workshop, and these are just my own personal thoughts.

Too much information or not enough information??

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I would have been interested in Fred's presentation.... if only he'd be focusing on the A80 instead of the A820

Sorry you didn't get anything from it. Sounded like a dog/pony show!

Odyssey

Mar 15, 2015
Here is Allan Moulton' impressions of the Reel Tape Workshop:

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/atr-services-reel-tape-workshop/

I personally attended and I thought it was money well spent. I am getting back into R2R after a very long hiatus. Yes much of what was presented was technical in nature and a bit over my head. In the afternoon I found the "hands on" part to be most helpful. Especially aligning the heads using the MRL tapes, Oscilloscope and the tweaking tool to adjust the azimuth of the heads.

After the presentation I was able to mingle with some of the paragons in the industry referred to in Al's article above. And at dinner afterwards I got to ask more questions that these same people answered patiently and in a fashion that I could understand.

I would attend again if the workshop was offered in the future.

LeRoy

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
i'm guessing many tape-heads are like me. they can navigate a tape deck and properly clean heads with cotton swabs, but when it comes to the technical stuff it's beyond them.

i have a knowledgeable friend who is trying to help me to learn how to use my Audio Precision One analyzer to properly adjust things and optimize each tape. i've had a few sessions with him and learned some, but having trouble retaining it as i don't do it enough and don't have that fundamental technical foundation that some have.

i expect this will come down to how badly i want to learn.

what i'm trying to say is that i see the need for training, but don't underestimate how far i have to go to get it. and a one-day event would be mostly entertainment and fun, as i don't absorb the nuance of this stuff that fast.

panreels

Aug 28, 2016
Here is Allan Moulton' impressions of the Reel Tape Workshop:

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/atr-services-reel-tape-workshop/

I personally attended and I thought it was money well spent. I am getting back into R2R after a very long hiatus. Yes much of what was presented was technical in nature and a bit over my head. In the afternoon I found the "hands on" part to be most helpful. Especially aligning the heads using the MRL tapes, Oscilloscope and the tweaking tool to adjust the azimuth of the heads.

After the presentation I was able to mingle with some of the paragons in the industry referred to in Al's article above. And at dinner afterwards I got to ask more questions that these same people answered patiently and in a fashion that I could understand.

I would attend again if the workshop was offered in the future.

LeRoy

LeRoy:

I’m glade you got a lot out of the workshop and you would attend one again if they have another and I hope they do, you said you where just getting back into reel to reel tape (welcome back) you also stated that much of it was over your head and you are a bit of a novice so I can see how you may got something out of it, but for me and a lot of people on the forum and others that have been into R2R for a long time and have the technical know how of tape decks would of got little out of the workshop, now as to the entertainment and being around other people with the same interest it was an enjoyable time, and unfortunately I couldn’t attend the dinner and probably should of, I’m not saying the workshop was bad and this is my personal opinion and I didn’t get $ 500 worth out of it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing