Ref6 tube rolling

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
The 6H30 next to 6550 is for power supply. That one tube has the effect as all other 6H30 or 6H6P.
But that one is not the “output” stage of Ref6? Anyhow have a stash of 6n6p at hand, so might change next time i pull it out from the rack...need to slowly change the 6550 due to hours on it...

TLi

May 27, 2016
But that one is not the “output” stage of Ref6? Anyhow have a stash of 6n6p at hand, so might change next time i pull it out from the rack...need to slowly change the 6550 due to hours on it...

After many years of playing with HiFi gears, my impression is we are listening to the electricity. It is the electricity can make the sound, the music signal is to tune the sound.

You can imagine HiFi system is a musical instrument, say a guitar, electricity is the finger pick on the string and music signal is the score which the tones are played. This explains why changes in power line can have profound effect on the sound.

Vacuum tube and transistor are valves, they open and close to let current flow, very much like the turning of water tap on your toilet. The flow comes from the power supply and the turning of tap comes from the music signal. So it is not entirely true that you mention the tubes in the power section is not in the signal path. They are, more so than in the signal tubes.

Reactions: MPS and CKKeung

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Vacuum tube and transistor are valves, they open and close to let current flow, very much like the turning of water tap on your toilet. The flow comes from the power supply and the turning of tap comes from the music signal. So it is not entirely true that you mention the tubes in the power section is not in the signal path. They are, more so than in the signal tubes.

I would say the music signal modulates the electricity.

But yes, as Vladimir Lamm will tell you, a power supply is an integral part of the signal path.

hi5harry

Sep 11, 2011
Santa Cruz, Calif
Great info! I put NOS 6h30's and GE 6550's in my Anniversary 40 the second I got it and never looked back. After reading this thread, I went thru all my 6550's and found a brand new pair of Tung Sol grey plate, 3 hole from January1965. Incredible! That mid range magic was there from the beginning, but after a couple days of burning in, I think they are the perfect tube for the Anni. Worth a try and maybe a larger difference than changing out the 6h30's.

Reactions: Golum

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Ajajjaja seems like screwdriver needs to be deployed again to check what happens when 6550 and coresponding 6n30 gets swapped

Barry

Member Sponsor
Jan 7, 2012
Somewhere near Philadelphia, USA
Micro, how exactly do you match your tubes in the Ref 10 or 40 Anniversary? My understanding is V1-V4 are the tubes for the R&L balanced gain stage and V5-V8 are cathode followers.

Is matching Mu is somewhat more important for the gain stage, and Gm is more important for the cathode followers?

Since the 6H30s are 2 sections tubes run in parallel, what percentage target variation is acceptable, for you, within a tube? What percentage variation for pairs of tubes, say V1 and V3? I would assume you might use the same standard for matching the right channel, V1-V3 to the left channel, V2-V4.

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I would say the music signal modulates the electricity.

But yes, as Vladimir Lamm will tell you, a power supply is an integral part of the signal path.

Probably it is why the L2ref preamplifier sounds so good - very elaborate tube power supply with solid state signal amplification.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Micro, how exactly do you match your tubes in the Ref 10 or 40 Anniversary? My understanding is V1-V4 are the tubes for the R&L balanced gain stage and V5-V8 are cathode followers.

Is matching Mu is somewhat more important for the gain stage, and Gm is more important for the cathode followers?

Since the 6H30s are 2 sections tubes run in parallel, what percentage target variation is acceptable, for you, within a tube? What percentage variation for pairs of tubes, say V1 and V3? I would assume you might use the same standard for matching the right channel, V1-V3 to the left channel, V2-V4.

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

I test them in similar conditions as they are being used ~ 180V regulated power supply at 9 mA each triode. I match first for similar plate intensity each triode, than Gm. As you say I select the best Gm match for gain (~2% variation) and use others for the cathode followers. I discard tubes having more than 3% variation in IP for each triode and showing any noise. BTW, I only test them after 100 hours burn-in - they need some time to stabilize and reduce (or very few times increase ...) low frequency noise.

Surely the same care for left and right. No politics in WBF ... ;)

Barry

Member Sponsor
Jan 7, 2012
I test them in similar conditions as they are being used ~ 180V regulated power supply at 9 mA each triode.

One other quick question, micro. What are your average Mu and Gm readings for your 6H30 matching set-up that corresponds to in-circuit operations? Just trying to confirm other operating parameters.

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
One other quick question, micro. What are your average Mu and Gm readings for your 6H30 matching set-up that corresponds to in-circuit operations? Just trying to confirm other operating parameters.

My gig has no absolute calibration, only relative. I inject a 1V peak to peak signal and measure the output.

The DC measurements are carried with a Fluke, all else with an audio analyser / generator.
Unfortunately my regular tube tester does not accept 6h30's, I can't get a calibration point and I never did the calculus of Gm for my home built tester.

TLi

May 27, 2016
Great info! I put NOS 6h30's and GE 6550's in my Anniversary 40 the second I got it and never looked back. After reading this thread, I went thru all my 6550's and found a brand new pair of Tung Sol grey plate, 3 hole from January1965. Incredible! That mid range magic was there from the beginning, but after a couple days of burning in, I think they are the perfect tube for the Anni. Worth a try and maybe a larger difference than changing out the 6h30's.
Congratulation. Those NOS Tung Sol 6550 is really good. 3 hole grey plate has a slightly faster sound than the smooth plate ones but still much better than modern tubes.

I used Anniversary 40 before changing to Ref 10 and agree with you. The 6550 has the largest effect in the sound. 6h30 in the power section is second and all other 6h30 in the output stage is only third. For those who wants to start tube rolling should follow this order for maximum result.

murphys33

Sep 28, 2011
Congratulation. Those NOS Tung Sol 6550 is really good. 3 hole grey plate has a slightly faster sound than the smooth plate ones but still much better than modern tubes.

I used Anniversary 40 before changing to Ref 10 and agree with you. The 6550 has the largest effect in the sound. 6h30 in the power section is second and all other 6h30 in the output stage is only third. For those who wants to start tube rolling should follow this order for maximum result.

Has anyone tried a 6n6p tube in the power section next to the 6550 tube? Any sonic benefits?

TLi

May 27, 2016
Has anyone tried a 6n6p tube in the power section next to the 6550 tube? Any sonic benefits?
This is exactly how I use them for my ARC Ref 10 and Ref 10 phono. Tung Sol 6550 black plate with 6n6p in the power supply and 6H30DR in the main unit. I found it have the best on both worlds.

6n6p is very musical regardless on where it is installed.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
This is exactly how I use them for my ARC Ref 10 and Ref 10 phono. Tung Sol 6550 black plate with 6n6p in the power supply and 6H30DR in the main unit. I found it have the best on both worlds.

6n6p is very musical regardless on where it is installed.
Key two letters here are “DR” not crappy new production 6n30;)

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Key two letters here are “DR” not crappy new production 6n30;)

Well .... okay, I'll take that smiley. :-o

The issue with the 6H30DR is availability. I was in contact with the fellow (Conus Audio) who brought the last of them from Russia to North America but that was several years back and they're long gone. The trick was to buy them (~$35usd) before they really went up in price. No doubt individual users may have stashes, but nowadays they seem largely unobtanium. There are conterfeits.

Recognizing Original 6N30 ?? - 6H30 DR Tubes

Edit:
Fwiw - 2010 WBF thread on 6H30DR:
6H30's--Are the more expensive/megabuck versions worth the money?

Last edited:
Reactions: ddk

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Exactly as you said.
DRs are super heavy to find and even if you find them prices are insane. Just seen the matched quartet on eBay for almost 1.3k$ :eek:. So comparing 6n6p with those is kind of pointless as 6n6p you can easily find (still) and pay 20-25$/matched quartet.
Even getting them just for trial purpose and fun makes a lot of sense for all ARC (BAT, Ayon) users as there is a huge chance they'll end up liking what they will hear.
Just my 2 cents..

Barry

Member Sponsor
Jan 7, 2012
I tried a matched pair of 6H30 DRs in my Ref40 Anniversary power supply back in 2012. Different compared to the Sovteks, but not better to my ears, in my set-up.

Buying NOS is a real crap shoot. Yes, price and availability are both problematic, but quality is a big issue too.

Jpspock

Dec 26, 2018
TLI, which year is printed on your 6h30dr? If it is before 81, than it’s the best you can find. But very difficult. I have still 10 of them from year 78.

concerning 6550 black plate, it´s true they were the best , especially with 3 getters. But the grey plate of the early 60´s, without holes were more musical. But this is a question of taste..

TLi

May 27, 2016
TLI, which year is printed on your 6h30dr? If it is before 81, than it’s the best you can find. But very difficult. I have still 10 of them from year 78.

concerning 6550 black plate, it´s true they were the best , especially with 3 getters. But the grey plate of the early 60´s, without holes were more musical. But this is a question of taste..
My 6H30DR are from 1985 to 1991.

Reactions: asiufy

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing