Ref6 vs ref6 se

Biketony

Nov 6, 2019
I have a ref6. I have yet to see anyone post evaluation of the ref6 vs a ref6se. Can anyone tell me what SQ difference is between the two ? And if the 3k upgrade is worth not having my preamp for 6 week.

lem321

Feb 7, 2014
I have a ref6. I have yet to see anyone post evaluation of the ref6 vs a ref6se. Can anyone tell me what SQ difference is between the two ? And if the 3k upgrade is worth not having my preamp for 6 week.

I got both my upgraded 6SE and Phono 3SE back from ARC in the last week. The turnaround time was about a month door-to-door. A pleasant surprise was that the upgrades included a thicker 0.236 inch poly top cover which they say is much less prone to warping. It has a nicely finished beveled edge and sits slightly higher than the side panels.

It's a bit early to fully assess the changes in sound quality but what I hear so far, I like. In particular, the 6SE's bottom end seems to have more punch and "drive" for lack of a better term. Vocals seem also more fleshed out, the soundstage is about the same width but "denser." It's somewhat harder to distinguish what improvements I hear with the 3SE phono stage as I cannot separate it from changes heard with the 6SE. Overall, IMO, the upgrade investment was worthwhile.

Biketony

Nov 6, 2019
Thank you for the reply. Have you used the ref6se with any other component other then the phono 3se ?

lem321

Feb 7, 2014
Thank you for the reply. Have you used the ref6se with any other component other then the phono 3se ?
Yes, I've played CD's on my ARC Ref 9 with similar results. Improvements in bass, and midrange (especially voice) density and fullness. Although $3K is not cheap (actually $2700 + shipping to ARC), it does increase the value of your 6/6SE if and when you decided to sell. I appreciate that ARC is able to offer their latest improvements for the difference in price between the previous and current models.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing