Repro on the Record Deck?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
How beneficial to sound quality is it to play a tape on the same machine which recorded the tape?

What does the theory say about this?

What has been your actual experience in practice?

Have you ever compared directly playback on the deck on which the tape was recorded to playback on an identical model but different machine?

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
I don't see why playback on the same machine that recorded the tape should have any particular advantage, assuming the machine is alligned properly. The record and playback electronics are independent of each other and the playback head on the record machine may not be as good or in as good condition as another machine. I have two ATR-102's, one which I use to record and the other I use for playback. My playback machine has superior playback electronics (Doshi 3.0 tape prepro) to my record machine which has stock Ampex playback electronics - quite good but not at the level of the Doshi. I frequently listen to the playback of my record machine, monitoring the tape that I am recording. Then, later, I play back the same tape on my playback machine. Easy to hear the difference.

Larry

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
The advantage to listening with the same deck is "did you take off SAFE/Source" mode? Rookie mistake!! Otherwise you have a blank reel of tape!!

Reactions: astrotoy

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
How beneficial to sound quality is it to play a tape on the same machine which recorded the tape?

What does the theory say about this?

What has been your actual experience in practice?

Have you ever compared directly playback on the deck on which the tape was recorded to playback on an identical model but different machine?

If you only align the heads once in a life time, as the recording head is aligned to the playback head you can have optimal head alignment. However next time the heads are aligned you loose this confidence.

In theory you should not play the tapes in the machine you recorded it - all mechanical systems have issues at certain frequencies, characteristic of the machine. If you record and play in the same machine the problems become twice as big. If you use another machine the probability of overlaps is much reduced. BTW, I have read that we should never measure wow and flutter with a tape recorded in the machine we are checking.

No direct experience with the situation, just what I have read elsewhere.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Interesting, gentlemen. I am not sure, then, why I think I have always heard it is advantageous to play back on the record deck.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
What about playing a tape on a different make and model than the deck on which it was recorded? For example, recording on an Ampex ATR-102 and playing back on a Studer A820?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
What about playing a tape on a different make and model than the deck on which it was recorded? For example, recording on an Ampex ATR-102 and playing back on a Studer A820?

I'm not sure what is ideal, but my guess is that the vast majority of tapes (15ips 2 track) that have been commercially produced since the beginning of the 15ips2track tape revolution a decade ago have been made on Ampex ATR-102's - since the two big producers of these tapes - Tape Project and Acoustic Sounds - have banks of ATR-102's as their reproducing machines. On the other hand, I would guess that only a very small fraction of the machines that are playing these tapes are ATR-102s. Other companies are using a very wide range of reproducing decks, from several different versions of Studer machines to Ampex ATR-102's, Technics 1500's, Sony, Mara MCI, and others I don't remember.

Larry

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing