Request for cartridge recommendation based on specs....

Peguinpower

Jul 22, 2021
I am looking for a cartridge to use on a Thorens TD-124 turntable I am having restored. I am hoping to find one that would be a good match to the table based on people experience, and also that it be a match to my phono pre.

The phono pre has MM and MC. No capacitance adjustments for MM. On MC, loading options are 30, 50, 70, 116 and 280 ohms.

My budget is less than 1500. Looking to tap into the forum brain trust to see if there is anything that I havent considered.

Thanks.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Knowing the personality of the TD-124, I'd lean towards the Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC in your price range (maybe a hair above). I think it'd compliment the table well and when you look at the low rebuild cost of Soundsmith carts, they're a very good deal.

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
The tonearm should also be part of the equation.

I have two Thorens 124/II. The second one is currently being restored by Hanze Hifi in the Netherlands. It is for a small office system so nothing fancy. I should get it back within a few weeks. It will be mounted with a SME V tonearm and I have opted for a Phasemation PP 200 cartridge.

Reactions: bazelio

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I am looking for a cartridge to use on a Thorens TD-124 turntable I am having restored. I am hoping to find one that would be a good match to the table based on people experience, and also that it be a match to my phono pre.

The phono pre has MM and MC. No capacitance adjustments for MM. On MC, loading options are 30, 50, 70, 116 and 280 ohms.

My budget is less than 1500. Looking to tap into the forum brain trust to see if there is anything that I havent considered.

Thanks.

SPU with fr64

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Tell us the arm and the phono pre make it will help the answers to more specific :)

Peguinpower

Jul 22, 2021
My tonearm is a new Jelco TS-550L Mk II 12”

Im mounting it to a coriane stone armboard from Konne Design. Also had to replace the upper platter to a new aftermarket one. Old one is dented and repairing it would be too much of a compromise.

The phono pre is an Allnic H1202.

Last edited:

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Dynavector xx 2 for me the best choice in a jelco
Or

P.S Konnedesign i have it too really good

Last edited:

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Given the Jelco's 9g eff mass I would echo the aforementioned Soundsmith idea and add Hana and Sculpture A to the list.

wbf member @Kingrex is using that Allnic phono and he reports big improvment using an external sut vs the onboard ones fyi

Peguinpower

Jul 22, 2021
Given the Jelco's 9g eff mass I would echo the aforementioned Soundsmith idea and add Hana and Sculpture A to the list.

wbf member @Kingrex is using that Allnic phono and he reports big improvment using an external sut vs the onboard ones fyi

Hmmm, it would be a shame to bypass the Allnics own SUTs.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
That is what I thought too, given the Allnic reputation for transformers but in this case it seems to bear fruit. I live in the same area as Rex and have helped setup his analog but the new SUT has been added since my last visit. Hopefully Rex will chime in. He is using a Denon and a Hana iirc although on an STST Motus II with Vertere tonearm...

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
Hmmm, it would be a shame to bypass the Allnics own SUTs.

I have the Allnic H3000V. I am bypassing the internal SUT and I am not looking back. The improvement is huge. You however need to find the right SUT. I am lucky having a B&M dealer who has plenty of SUTs available for home demo/trial.

Peguinpower

Jul 22, 2021
I played with Rothwell which I didnt think added anything on the table. So B&M’s eh. Will check em out.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
That is what I thought too, given the Allnic reputation for transformers but in this case it seems to bear fruit. I live in the same area as Rex and have helped setup his analog but the new SUT has been added since my last visit. Hopefully Rex will chime in. He is using a Denon and a Hana iirc although on an STST Motus II with Vertere tonearm...
It could be a cartridge match to the SUT. I found a Cinemag by Bobs Device made for a Denon 103r. The 103 with the SUT is to me, much nicer than through the Allnic MC input, and also much better than my Hana through the Allnic MC. My Denon 103 through the Bobs to the Allnic MM is my best phone setup at the moment. I will probably get a new Bobs device to work with the Hana Red and try that in the future.

Solypsa did bring a different phono stage buy one day. Left it for a week. It was much more quiet, linear and clean than the Allnic. It was probably more so than the SUT with the Allnic MM. The SUT Allnic seems to have a life and vibrancy I like. It may not be for everyone. Its a little more fun and free. Maybe not as composed, clean and exposing of the most fine detail in the recording as what Solypsa shared with me. There is definatly a level of personal preference that works into what will tick the boxes for others.

Peguinpower

Jul 22, 2021
based on the feedback here, reviews of the Zephyr Mk III, its high output, the ability to bypass my onboard SUTs, use the Allnic tube gain stage direct, and a positive review of the TD-124 combo with a 12” arm and the Zephyr, I went ahead and bought that cartridge.

btw, I have a Dynavector 20x2L on the side to compare it with

Thanks!

Last edited:

twitch

Jun 17, 2010
SE Pa
based on the feedback here, reviews of the Zephy Mk III, its high output, the ability to bypass my onboard SUTs, use the Allnic tube gain stage direct, and the review of the TD-124 combo of a 12” arm and the Zephyr, I went ahead and bought that cartridge.

btw, I have a Dynavector 20x2L on the side to compare it with

Thanks!

Congrats ! and for those interested here's a great vid that the late Art Dudley did @ The Soundsmith Hdq .........

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing