Rest in Peace Bernard Haitink...

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
Very sad news today with the death of Bernard Haitink, a great conductor. From a press release:

"With great sorrow, we announce the death today of Bernard Haitink, the distinguished Dutch conductor. Mr Haitink died peacefully at home with his wife and family, aged 92 years old.

Bernard Haitink was one of the most celebrated conductors of his generation. He was Chief Conductor of the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra for 27 years. As well as holding Music Director positions at The Royal Opera, Covent Garden, and at Glyndebourne Festival Opera, Mr Haitink was Principal Conductor of the London Philharmonic Orchestra and the Chicago Symphony Orchestra. Amongst many titles bestowed, Mr Haitink was Conductor Emeritus of the Boston Symphony Orchestra, Conductor Laureate of the European Union Youth Orchestra and honorary member of the Chamber Orchestra of Europe, the Berliner Philharmoniker and the Wiener Philharmoniker, with whom he performed his last concert in September 2019.

Bernard Haitink has received many awards and honours in recognition of his services to music. He was Commander of the Order of the Netherlands Lion, Knight of the Ordre des Arts et des Lettres in France, an Honorary Companion of Honour in the UK.

Bernard Haitink’s legacy will be his unrivaled interpretations of the great symphonic and operatic masterpieces. We remember Mr Haitink not only as a legendary musician who made over 450 recordings, but also as a passionate mentor for future generations of conductors, generously offering his time to teaching and masterclasses."

Reactions: Addicted to hifi

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Remarkable body of work. Profound loss.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Sad news, his performance of the Shostakovitch 5th is on the top of my favorites, both for interpretation and sound. RIP.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I don't have his entire Shostakovich cycle, but what I've heard is generally excellent and some performances are masterful. Try the 15th. His Mahler cycle is among the best.

One of the best tributes to a great conductor is to play one of his performances.
Thank you Mijnheer Haitink - you will be missed.

Try this:

Mahler 2 Haitink Philips 802 88485 LY.jpg
Philips 802 884/85 2 LPs

or this

Shostakovich Sym 8 Haitink.jpg
Decca 591356

The battle for Stalingrad rages in 1943 -- you gnaw on a rat bone while a sponge soaked in the astringency of despair sucks hope from your soul. In the first movement, upper strings scream at a desperate pitch as low basses roll in like black fog from the back-right corner, building to a cacophony of bass, brass and tympanic thunder. I sat transfixed at the entire orchestra laid out in layers before me, playing their parts by row and section, each clear and distinct.

Edit: correct catalog nbr.

Last edited:

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
I was in Berliner Philhamoniker for his Beethoven’s Pastorale.
Unforgettable evening.
RIP Maestro.

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
Dutch pride and proof that being humble does not mean that you do not matter. Rest in peace mr. Haitink.

Vahe Sahakian

Mar 9, 2018
I have many Haitink recordings both on vinyl and on CD, I no longer play vinyl, but his CD's are are priceless, in addition to Bruckner and Mahler one of my all time favorite Haitink recording is Shostakovich 11, an unusually forceful performance captured with very fine sound at Concertgebouw.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing