Restoration of a Grado Laboratory Series Tone Arm

Peguinpower

Jul 22, 2021
Im in the process of doing a restoration on a Thorens TD-124. The main bearing and spindle has been blue printed, new bushings everywhere else, professional paint restoration, a deep cleaning, lubrication, new wire harness, PCB board, new electronic components, and tuned to spec.

Below is an example of a working unit.

tone6.jpeg

I'd purchased a new 12" tonearm for my build, but was reluctant to throw away the original Grado tonearm. Its busted but I thought I'd restore it.

tone1.jpg

Fortunately, I found a new replacement arm!

tone2.jpg

My model building skills came in handy. Used a micro applicator to put in some 3 day epoxy. I chose 3 day as I figured getting the pivot installed right, with enough handling, was a priority. This gave me plenty of time to adjust the A-B and X-Y axis properly for vertical clearance and equal protrusion on the horizontal plane.

tone3.jpg

It's been cold, so Im going to let it cure under a lamp for a couple of days. I'll also be able to monitor is there is any settling that requires me to adjust the pin placement. I used a caliper and a straight rule, and its spot on right now.

tone4.jpg

I do love nice clean work.

tone 5.jpg

If its any interest, I can post the fishing tonearm complete with TD-124 arm board. I haven't decided if I am going to put back the original wiring, or upgrade it to something modern,

Opinions welcome.

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
Im in the process of doing a restoration on a Thorens TD-124. The main bearing and spindle has been blue printed, new bushings everywhere else, professional paint restoration, a deep cleaning, lubrication, new wire harness, PCB board, new electronic components, and tuned to spec.

View attachment 85080

I'd purchased a new 12" tonearm for my build, but was reluctant to throw away the original Grado tonearm. Its busted but I thought I'd restore it.

View attachment 85075

View attachment 85076

My model building skills came in handy. Used a micro applicator to put in some 3 day epoxy. I chose 3 day as I figured getting the pivot installed right, with enough handling, was a priority. This gave me plenty of time to adjust the A-B and X-Y axis properly for vertical clearance and equal protrusion on the horizontal plane.

View attachment 85077

It's been cold, so Im going to let it cure under a lamp for a couple of days. I'll also be able to monitor is there is any settling that requires me to adjust the pin placement. I used a caliper and a straight rule, and its spot on right now.

View attachment 85078

View attachment 85079

If its any interest, I can post the fishing tonearm complete with TD-124 arm board. I haven't decided if I am going to put back the original wiring, or upgrade it to something modern,

Opinions welcome.
You must be an expert.I would have no idea how to do it.

Gregorius

Sep 26, 2023
Alexandria VA USA

View attachment 85080

View attachment 85075

View attachment 85076

View attachment 85077

View attachment 85078

View attachment 85079

Opinions welcome.

View attachment 85080

View attachment 85075

View attachment 85076

View attachment 85077

View attachment 85078

View attachment 85079

Opinions welcome.
I have a Grado tonearm that seems to have lost some of the hardware, namely the knurled set screws, thumb nut and spring. Do you have the dimensions of these so I can try to find replacement parts? THANKS

Robert Young

VIP/Donor
Oct 22, 2020
New York CIty
I have a Grado tonearm that seems to have lost some of the hardware, namely the knurled set screws, thumb nut and spring. Do you have the dimensions of these so I can try to find replacement parts? THANKS
Hi Gregorius, pm me and i will try to provide the dimensions you need….

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing