Review of Tesla Model S Plaid

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I thought this review of the Tesla Model S Plaid was very informative. But not sure I want over 1020 Hp and 0-60 in 1.92 secs and 0-130 in 9 seconds. It has the triple motor.
it is truly a missile

i like the yoke steering

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Murphy?
I kept waiting for a test drive.

gds7368

VIP/Donor
Jan 9, 2015
Very interesting. Insightful that early adopters will likely be giving the yoke steering wheel rave reviews. I ordered a Model X in January before the new S and X were announced, and it will be the updated model (scheduled to be delivered in October).

Reactions: christoph

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Haha, I'm avoiding a laptop for controlling my music...guess I'll do the same for my driving Lol.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Steve, thanks for posting. I ordered my Model S Long Range (not the Plaid) in early February to replace my 2013 Model S (which was one of the first 5000 built). in the initial order, it defaulted to a yoke steering - but I think I remember that you could go to a conventional wheel if you wanted. Now I don't see that option. I remember when we got our Model S after a wait of eight months (June 2012 to Feb 2013 when it initially was projected to take a year for delivery), that the turn signal was on the left, below the cruise control stalk. It took a little while for my muscle memory to learn where the turn signal was. When I more recently had my car serviced, they gave me a 2018 Model S loaner, which had returned the turn signal stalk to the normal higher position. Since that was the more conventional position and where it is on our other car, I didn't have any issues going back. I think the muscle memory issue will go away for the yoke and buttons after a short time.

As I get old, I am looking forward to FSD, which I have ordered. Also with 400+ miles of range, I can go to LA to visit our grandkids (from San Francisco Bay area) without recharging - very much our ICE car. We'll stop for lunch on the way, so I will probably recharge during lunch. The number and location of superchargers has really increased, so they are quite ubiquitous, particularly where we are and go.

Larry

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
It's good value.

A little slow, alas, compared to the Rimac Nevera. A shade over 1,900 BHP.

Highlighted because I resent the promotion of the Plaid as the fastest electric car. When it isn't.

Faster than a Chiron. 23% owned by Bugatti.

A few months old now but watch it beat the Taycan. More recent stuff on You Tube.

Reactions: christoph

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
It's good value.

A little slow, alas, compared to the Rimac Nevera. A shade over 1,900 BHP.

Highlighted because I resent the promotion of the Plaid as the fastest electric car. When it isn't.

Faster than a Chiron. 23% owned by Bugatti.

A few months old now but watch it beat the Taycan. More recent stuff on You Tube.

How much will this baby beast cost?

gds7368

VIP/Donor
Jan 9, 2015
$2.5 mill vs. $130,000. Not good value indeed. Btw, anyone who ordered the updated S and X will be getting the yoke steering wheel. I am sure you can get used to it very quickly.
We can also get used to paying for supercharging, because it looks like they took away the previously included free supercharging ….

1627215054964.png

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
The advantage I have is that by selling my 2013 Model S to a private party, they get the free supercharging for life transferred to them. If I traded in my Model S, Tesla, when they resell it, take away the free supercharging from the next buyer. When they found I was getting a new Model S, some friends immediately told me they would buy my old Model S. They are younger and take more long trips than we do.

Larry

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
Yes, free Supercharging has been gone since some time in late 2018 I believe. I do not have it on my 2018 M3 but my wife does on her 2017 Model S. When we take long tripsm we use the S. You can still get free supercharging miles with your referral code.

Reactions: gds7368

gds7368

VIP/Donor
Jan 9, 2015
Yes, free Supercharging has been gone since some time in late 2018 I believe. I do not have it on my 2018 M3 but my wife does on her 2017 Model S. When we take long tripsm we use the S. You can still get free supercharging miles with your referral code.
How much money does supercharging cost?

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
How much money does supercharging cost?
Looks like about 25 cents a kilowatt hour, roughly 7 cents a mile. That is more than charging at home, but cheaper than the equivalent cost of gas for most ICE cars these days. Of course, most people charge their Teslas at home. The average cost of electricity in the US these days is about 13 cents per kwH, or about 4 cents per mile. With the current average price of gas at $3.20 per gallon, that is equivalent to about 80 miles per gallon. In California, where I am (and Steve is) both electricity and gas are more expensive, but the ratios are about the same.

My new Tesla Model S Long Range will get over 400 miles to a charge, so I will be able to go from San Francisco to Los Angeles without having to stop at a supercharger, and then fill up my car at my daughter and son-in-law's home charger (they also have a Tesla), taking advantage of the lower home charging costs. With time of day pricing for electricity in many places in the country, you set the timing of your charging to when the electricity rates are the lowest. Tesla is starting to do the same thing with their superchargers - cheaper when there is less demand for the superchargers, so they can better balance the use of them for those people who have more flexibility when they charge.

Larry

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
I saw that. $218,000 vs. $124,000. The S is a more comfortable car to drive too, especially for us geezers. I have seen the Turbo in person, beautiful vehicle but I do not like to drive sitting in a bucket. Of course, as in all things, YMMV.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing