Review of the Senheiser HD800S

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
After praising the Sony WH XM 1000 MK4, I thought it a good idea to pursue a reference grade headphone. I had heard good things abput theSenheiser HD 800S. (Hereinnafter 800S). it is the company's flagship non-electrostatic. Even though it might require separate amplification it seemed like a decent bargain it's discounted price of $1399. The first red flag. I had gift certificate for Amazon prime.
Amazon decided this was suspected fraud
They declined my order and suspended my account.
I then found headphones.com.They promised next day delivery. It never came. I then sought to cancel my order. They apologized profusely. I was awarded a 100 dollar gift certificate. Finally it arrived. It appears the Covid19 virus had caused all transcontinental USA shipments to be delayed

My major complaint is the earpadd
At this price I expected leather. Instead I got something akin to rat fur. Thankfully it is.not an issue when they are on my head.
To be Cont...

20210625_103831.jpg

Nikki

Last edited:

wbass

Jul 12, 2020
I don't mind the earpads at all, nor do I find them cheap feeling. In fact, no headphone I've experienced is as comfortable as the HD800(S).

Earpad size and material has an effect on the sonics and thus are part of the design.

Anyway, I've had the HD800S for a few years and really like them. Also have Focal Utopias, which are more resolving, but the Sennheisers are 1) more comfortable and 2) have a bigger, wider soundstage.

Not to discount, of course, anyone else's experiences.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
After praising the Sony WH XM 1000 MK4, I thought it a good idea to pursue a reference grade headphone. I had heard good things abput theSenheiser HD 800S. (Hereinnafter 800S). it is the company's flagship non-electrostatic. Even though it might require separate amplification it seemed like a decent bargain it's discounted price of $1399. The first red flag. I had gift certificate for Amazon prime.
Amazon decided this was suspected fraud
They declined my order and suspended my account.
I then found headphones.com.They promised next day delivery. It never came. I then sought to cancel my order. They apologized profusely. I was a 100 dollar gift certificate. Finally it arrived. It appears the Covid19 virus had caused all transcontinental USA shipments to be delayed

My major complaint is the earpadd
At this price I expected leather. Instead I got something akin to rat fur. Thankfully it is.not an issue when they are on my head.
To be Cont...

View attachment 79693

Nikki
As an owner of the HD650, I very much look forward to your 'review'. Since you mentioned you liked Sony, did you ever consider the Sony mdr-z1r? I have read incredibly good things about that one.

While I am not at all looking to upgrade the 650, if I were to do so, the HD800S and the Sony mdr-z1r are definitely at the top of the list. I know there is always something bigger, better (and more expensive)...but the quality, comfort are important, and I have read extremely good things about both headphones.

Again..was just curious given your comment about Sony, whether you had thought about Sony mdr-z1r.

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
As an owner of the HD650, I very much look forward to your 'review'. Since you mentioned you liked Sony, did you ever consider the Sony mdr-z1r? I have read incredibly good things about that one.

While I am not at all looking to upgrade the 650, if I were to do so, the HD800S and the Sony mdr-z1r are definitely at the top of the list. I know there is always something bigger, better (and more expensive)...but the quality, comfort are important, and I have read extremely good things about both headphones.

Again..was just curious given your comment about Sony, whether you had thought about Sony mdr-z1r.
The 650 is the best value for money headphone available. Very good sounding for not much money.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
The 650 is the best value for money headphone available. Very good sounding for not much money.
Good to know! I have to say, I have always admired their headphones, bought 2 for family as gifts.

And when I started looking for myself after not having looked at headphones for 20 years, I asked JackD201. He directed me straight to the HD650s and the Arcam rHead, and I have been absolutely delighted with the sound on an absolute basis and for the money.

Last edited:
Reactions: Addicted to hifi

rando

Sep 22, 2019
I then found headphones.com. They promised next day delivery. It never came. I then sought to cancel my order. They apologized profusely. I was [given] a 100 dollar gift certificate. Finally it arrived. It appears the Covid19 virus had caused all transcontinental USA shipments to be delayed

Think of all the junk mail you don't receive anymore! We need a similar effect to take hold on email delivery.

Looking forwards to hearing of your continued adventure into the world of headphones. I trust your DAC is playing nice with these or we can expect a move upwards there too.

Reactions: Andrew S.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Thankfully the 800S was supplied with two 2 10" cables. One quarter inch and 1 4
4mm. Thank god for 1/4". The are cloth wrapped which makes them flexible and tangle free.The manual indicated an xlr was included. Not present.
I was informed this was in error. Rest assured this is a audiophile grade high end device

For more details see you tube.
Amplification
It was clear to they were going to require some quality amplification. Enter ifi audio dac/amp I reviewed earlier.

Edit: error. No usb was promised.

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Luckily I had on loan the iFi zen dac signature and the can signature. The HD800s requires breaking in at loud levels. I was not impressed. Alrhough it did things well, it was a little too hi-fi for me. It did bass well. It played well loud and portrayed mass instruments well. I thought listening was more work than enjoyment
It got worse. I hit you tube. Rumor was that the HD800S sounded bad. Most of the reviews had glossed over this.
While I subscribe to the notion that some components sound better with tubes I am a little suspect when tubes are required.

I did have my eye on the MacIntosh tube headamp. I also was looking at rhe SPL SS headampamp and Senheiser headlamp. Because of covod the Mac was on serious backorder. I was also in pursuit of the iFi Diablo
I actually requested a refund for the headphones. That was denied . I might have bartered an exchange for a comparably priced focal.
Instead I just boxed up the headphones and put them on the shelf.
Thar is what you get for purchasing a product based on reputation.
To be continued....

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
FR curve taken from manual. 20210702_114356.jpg

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Meanwhile I had been lustimg for audition of the iFi audio Diablo. Not necessarily as a match.
The HD 800s is sitting in my closet. It was entirely possible that the headphones were so resolving they were revealing faults of associated components.
I just don't think I had its' true measure. 2500 dollars plus money for a dac was a lot to sppend.
Later Ireceived an email Kayo at iFi audio thanking me for my review. He offered to send me additional product. I jumped on the Diablo.
When I plugged it it was magic.

Andrew S.

Mar 20, 2021
Hobart, Tasmania
Meanwhile I had been lustimg for audition of the iFi audio Diablo. Not necessarily as a match.
The HD 800s is sitting in my closet. It was entirely possible that the headphones were so resolving they were revealing faults of associated components.
I just don't think I had its' true measure. 2500 dollars plus money for a dac was a lot to sppend.
Later Ireceived an email Kayo at iFi audio thanking me for my review. He offered to send me additional product. I jumped on the Diablo.
When I plugged it it was magic.

So the 800s & Diablo made the 800s work for you?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Very interesting! I have read that many admire the 800 series Sennheisers, but when it comes to 10 hours straight of listening, that even many admirers find that a difficult task (technically, a 'tiring one')...not a good sign if all one wishes to do is relax while listening to music.

I have ALSO read that if you get the 800 series amplification right, you can get 'magic'. So I look forward to reading more about that magic Gregadd.

While there are MANY great headphones and headphone amps out there, I am most curious about the 800s...but it sounds like getting that magic combination is incredibly important.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
So the 800s & Diablo made the 800s work for you?
I have little doubt there are other amps that will work. Maybe some even better. IMO the Diablo was key.
A detailed description will follow.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I have little doubt there are other amps that will work. Maybe some even better. IMO the Diablo was key.
Great!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
BTW, I have been reading up on the 800S and have noticed more than a few ranking the EAR HP-4 as a phenomenal combination with the 800S to the point of declaring it almost feels like the 800S was designed for them and vice versa. You likely have seen that already. I will say...the combination certainly has me intrigued as a be-all end-all combination long-term for me.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I have been around audio for a while. Sometimes such claims pan out. Some times they don't. If I ever get the chance...well you know.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thank you.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing