Review: Sound Anchors Signature speaker stands

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
View attachment Sound_Anchors_speaker_stands.jpg

View attachment Sound_Anchors_speaker_stands2.jpg

Recently I received my new speaker stands from Sound Anchors for my Reference 3A Reflector monitors (for speaker review, see here; for my system components, see here). It's the top Signature line,

http://soundanchors.com/products/2052/signature

and custom-made to specifications. I chose the height of the stands such that the tweeters of the speakers would be at ear height when the stands are positioned on single concrete blocks. These form a more stable platform than just the wood floor in my old house (to get the tweeter to ear height with my less tall old stands I had to use 2 stacked concrete blocks per side, which does not look as good). The depth of the stands is considerably greater than the one of the old stands, which lends more support for the deep Reflector monitors. On the other hand, the depth could have extended even more, but I chose it such that the stands would still fit nicely on the concrete platform; while the 16 x 16 inch version that I have is very common, larger platforms are hard to find. The speakers are positioned on the soft "blue dots" that come with the stands (see above link).

The old stands, though quite robust from sand-filled steel, did not have spikes, and thus did not stand as stably as they should have, which made an upgrade desirable. These new stands are incredibly well made, and very heavy, about 100 pounds each, much more than my already heavy previous stands. Thanks to JGlacken for informing me that he has Sound Anchors stands for his own Reflector speakers, and thanks to Peter A for reminding me to pursue a higher-quality stand! The result of the change is a major upgrade in sound, far more than I expected, frankly. I should have thought about this earlier. The Sound Anchors Signature stands reveal even more what tremendous speakers these Reference 3A Reflector monitors really are.

So how is the sound with the speakers on these stands? Tonal balance did not change. Yet there are other things that did:

1. Distortion:

Mostly I listen relatively loudly (depending on music, peaks usually between 90 and 95 dBa, rarely 97 dBa on some orchestral climaxes). Immediately obvious was a lowering of distortion at peaks. Groups of brass and fortissimo massed violins sound cleaner - which helps effortlessness of orchestral sound --, as do some fortissimo passages on string quartets that had been less clean before. There were two string passages where I had heard very obvious distortion before when played loudly, which bothered me. One is the last climax in the first mvmt. of the Penderecki string trio (Janaki Trio, CD from Yarlung Records), which develops in a long arch of about 30 seconds, the other an agitated passage in the Passacaglia of Bach's partita # 2 for solo violin with Gidon Kremer (another interpretation of the same music by Sigiswald Kuijken sounded clean on this passage). In both cases I had attributed the distortion to room overload, but I was wrong. With the new speaker stands the music sounds clean.

2. Timbral micro-resolution:

On string quartets the micro-detail of tone is commonly more subtle compared to solo violin, due to differences in the manner of playing. My previous speakers, the Reference 3A MM DeCapo monitors (the model below the Reflector) fell short in conveying the subtle detail of tone in string quartet playing, while they were rather good in conveying detail of string tone of solo violin (and in other instances where detail is more exposed, like on the modernistic trios on the aforementioned Janaki Trio CD). Yet inserting the Reflector speakers in my system yielded a breakthrough. The last few months with these speakers I had marveled how it was possible to hear such micro-detail of string quartet timbre from a system, and just this capability very much endeared the speakers to me. Yet with the new stands the performance is even more astonishing. The fine micro-vibrations of the string sounds in Bartok's string quartet # 6 (Emerson Quartet, DGG, 1988), impressive before, are now portrayed in a way that borders on the uncanny (this is one of the quartet recordings where I hear the most difference). In Bartok's string quartet # 5 from the same recording cycle, where micro-detail had been more obvious before, the timbral detail is now even more vibrant, fleshed out and refined.

Also the reproduction of transients is even more life-like. The pizzicato playing in the third movement of Bartok's string quartet # 6 sounds palpable and detailed as never before. The feathery, bouncy transients, really hard to reproduce convincingly, in the minuet of Beethoven's early string quartet op 18/2 ((Emerson Quartet, DGG, 1997) are even more subtle, with a faster yet more delicate leading edge, and more finely textured.

The Sound Anchors website states about the Signature Stands: "These stands will allow the listener to hear details and subtle differences that will be masked if the speakers are placed on any other stands." -- Given what I now hear, this may not be an exaggeration. The stands are a match made in heaven for the high-resolution Reference 3A Reflector monitors.

That I hear this incredible resolution of microscopic timbral detail and nuance on string quartets, a resolution that I had not thought possible in home reproduction, with a DAC as the source that cost just $ 2,300 (and which is fed plain Redbook CDs) is completely ridiculous to me. And it is not even the newer version of the Yggdrasil DAC, or the upgrade towards that version, that gives me this performance, but a first generation Yggy (the one with the allegedly "bad" measurements...but mostly met with stellar reviews). But that is what you can hear from great modern digital if your system is up to par transmitting this resolution -- and in my system the Sound Anchors Signature stands are now an integral part of this transmitting chain, by effectively blocking resonances that could blur the resolution through the speakers.

The resolution of micro-detail of course extends also to other music. For example the soft jazz brushes on Concerto for Aranjuez from Miles Davis' Sketches of Spain, even though also on other systems not among the most articulate sounds that I have heard from brushes, are clearly more resolved. Saxophone sound is more believable as well due to more timbral detail, yet also due to greater depth of timbre with these new stands.

The finer distinction of sound detail also affects the expressive range. This is easily heard, for example, on the Janaki String Trio CD, where string tone is also even better resolved with the speakers on the new stands. The first phrase in the violin which begins the finale of Beethoven's string trio op. 9/3 now sounds considerably smoother and with softer timbre than before (CD track 6). On the opposite side of the spectrum, the rough shredding on the finale of the modernistic string trio by Barabba (CD track 10) is even more brutally incisive and energetic than before, and with sharp, fast transients. The sound, in line with the type of playing, is incredibly edgy, but clean and resolved, without the blunt hardness that would be heard upon lesser reproduction. The overall expressive palette from soft and subtle to edgy and incisive thus has widened, and I think is closer to the sonic truth.

(cont.)

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
(cont.)

3. Low level grain:

As Ack correctly observed the last time that he was at my place, there was low level grain on some recordings. He may in particular have had in mind also the reproduction of the aforementioned Janaki String Trio CD, which had bothered me too for some time for its slight grain. Yet now, to my great surprise and elation, with the new stands under the speakers the grain on that CD is diminished to a very great extent, or perhaps even gone (?).

I had attributed the grain to the digital source as the most likely culprit. Yet as I had noticed before, the problem with digital is often not digital itself -- even though sometimes it is, too. Rather, a main problem with digital appears to be that, unless it is voiced to be 'mellowed', it tends to be brutally unforgiving, as it ruthlessly reveals weaknesses down the chain, including the listening room. In my system I have heard in the past 'digital harshness' and 'digital grain' that turned out to be the fault of uncontrolled room reflections (many times this had turned out to pose a problem, each time improved by acoustic treatment), inadequate power supplies in my old amps (before they had been upgraded with external ones), inferior signal cables, or lack of contact cleaning of cable connectors (Deoxit G5 helped). Certainly, sometimes a change of DAC reduced harshness and grain even further -- and I am sure my current DAC is not perfect either --, but more often than not the main source of 'digital harshness and grain' was really something else. Now I can add speaker vibrations on inadequate stands (my former ones) to the list of non-digital items that can induce 'digititis'. The new Sound Anchors stands nicely take care of further reducing grain and harshness. By the way, they also smooth out the tone of Miles Davis's muted trumpet at the beginning of "Solea" from Sketches of Spain, which had been a bit stinging before.

4. Bass:

After having heard the speakers with orchestral music, the jazz of Sketches of Spain and on string quartets/string trios, I turned to rock and jazz rock. I was in for a shock. I had thought my bass had been excellent, and so did several visitors. Yet this was on a different level. The bass was even more precise -- really precise. The difference was anything but subtle. While on some music there actually seemed to be less bass, apparently because of the lack of any bloat, on most music there was just the same amount of mid-bass, but more precise, and also the deep bass had more palpable impact. Why the deep bass? After all, in my system that one does not come from the main speakers, but from the JL Audio subwoofers. Yet as I had noticed with earlier upgrades in the past, the upper leading edge of the bass is essential for the perception of precision and impact of the subwoofer bass (both of which form a seamless blend), and improvements in it deeply affect the apparent quality of the deep bass. And that leading edge comes from the monitors.

The bass is just fast, blisteringly fast, yet it does not seem to be curtailed by artificial speed. When drums and bass play as a tight unit, it is much easier to distinguish these instruments without even trying. Obviously, due to the precision of the bass, rhythm & timing, which had already had a remarkable foot-tapping and forward driving quality, is improved even further. The fast impact of kick drum is greater too; listening to Tony Williams's ingenious playing on 'Dark Prince' from the live set of the Trio of Doom (with John McLaughlin on guitar and Jaco Pastorius on bass) it was intoxicating to hear it to be even more punchy than it was before, especially due the sharper, more well-timed and more defined kick drum sounds -- and it had already been very energetic. On the fourth part of Rihm's 'Tutuguri', a piece for six percussionists and choir, the heavy drums are also more precise, and perhaps even harder hitting, with the new stands in place. The bass guitar solo by Etienne M' Bappe on 'Miles Beyond' from John McLaughlin and the 4th Dimension, Live at Ronnie Scott’s (2017), sounds more defined and more even in timbre throughout the tonal range.

For the excellent build quality, and for what they offer in profound sonic improvements, these stands are ridiculously cheap. My custom version cost only about a thousand dollars, and the cone coasters on which their spikes stand (the option that I chose), as well as the shipping from Florida to Massachusetts, together were less than 300 dollars more. This is easily one of the most cost-effective major upgrades that I have ever made. I can recommend the Sound Anchors Signature Stands in the highest terms.

Last edited:
Reactions: the sound of Tao

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I ordered Sound Anchors for my old Avantgardes and was absolutely amazed at the improvement in sound due to these sounds. I've always been curious about their stereo racks, if the speakers stands are so good their racks have to be as great a value.

Reactions: DaveyF

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Thanks for this detailed write up.
In it u say "smooth out the tone of Miles Davis's muted trumpet at the beginning of "Solea" from Sketches of Spain, which had been a bit stinging before."
So how do u know this is correct and not masking the actual recording? Every time I heard MD in person his trumpet had "sting". I'd believe sting with MD vs.smooth out......

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Thanks for this detailed write up.
In it u say "smooth out the tone of Miles Davis's muted trumpet at the beginning of "Solea" from Sketches of Spain, which had been a bit stinging before."
So how do u know this is correct and not masking the actual recording? Every time I heard MD in person his trumpet had "sting". I'd believe sting with MD vs.smooth out......

That is a very good question, thanks for bringing this up. I have had discussions with my friends in our Boston group on hardness and bite of live music vs. home reproduction in systems many times. I have always argued that systems often sound too 'polite' and that reality is frequently much harder and has more bite, especially in brass. I am often taken aback by live brass sound, frankly, but that also depends on listening distance, hall acoustics etc. However, there is a difference between realistic "sting" of a muted trumpet, and sting because of distortion. I meant to say that an artificial, unpleasant harshness from distortion is gone, not that the sound is now silky smooth. There is still plenty of sting and bite.

Elsewhere in the review I say that some string sounds have a more brutally incisive 'edge' with the new stands, while other string sounds are actually softer in timbre. So I think overall there is more sonic truth with the new stands; when there is supposed to be more bite there is, when things are supposed to sound less hard they do (sometimes string sound has a really soft timbre live, sometimes it doesn't, up to the point where strings really "shred").

I am actually proud that my system can portray hardness and incisiveness to the degree it does (but lately also portrays softness of timbre much better when it should); many systems sound just too friendly compared to the real thing, in my view. Not that my system is perfect when it comes to that either.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Very well written, Al! And love the balanced way you write with! Eager to listen to your system again, and soon!

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Very well written, Al! And love the balanced way you write with! Eager to listen to your system again, and soon!

Thanks, Ack! Yes, let's have another listening session, that's always enjoyable!

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I ordered Sound Anchors for my old Avantgardes and was absolutely amazed at the improvement in sound due to these sounds. I've always been curious about their stereo racks, if the speakers stands are so good their racks have to be as great a value.

I have owned one of their racks for many years...it's the definition of sturdy. The rack is a three poster with four shelves, the top most being a turntable shelf with its own isolation cups and cones. Sounds great, and only recently have I been thinking about replacing it...with a model from Grand Prix audio. Not sure if the SQ would be any better, but the weight sure would be. Rack can be seen in my media post.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I have owned one of their racks for many years...it's the definition of sturdy. The rack is a three poster with four shelves, the top most being a turntable shelf with its own isolation cups and cones. Sounds great, and only recently have I been thinking about replacing it...with a model from Grand Prix audio. Not sure if the SQ would be any better, but the weight sure would be. Rack can be seen in my media post.

Wow, Davey, that looks great. Didn't even know that they had racks (thanks, Jeff, for bringing up the topic), and that they make them with custom dimensions.

If I ever buy an active gain Octave preamp, I'd like to have it on my top shelf too. Now only the narrow Pass B1 buffered preamp fits, flanked by CD transport and DAC, and my rack is already wide. It would have to be even wider. I would also like to have it even lower than it is now (I got the lowest one I could find), which can only help with soundstage.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012

Davey,
What is that platform on top of the rack? Did it come with the rack? Honestly I think it looks great, I wounder if you would get any benefit replacing it.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Davey,
What is that platform on top of the rack? Did it come with the rack? Honestly I think it looks great, I wounder if you would get any benefit replacing it.

Jeffrey, the platform on top of the rack is an isolation base that sits on three (3) cones. It was part of the original design of this rack. Provides some isolation, but the table is equipped with the Trampolin 2 base and I think this works best with the Linn. Nonetheless, I think you are correct, I doubt I would get much benefit by replacing it, except for the aforementioned weight difference. The Sound Anchor racks are really superb...and about as solid as anything out there. Only issue is that it weighs in at about 200+ lbs.

Last edited:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Al, congratulations on a superbly written and well constructed review. Your observations are well described and clear. I know most of the music, so I can relate to the comments. I look forward to hearing this improvement for myself. I particularly find interesting your comments about digititis, and how in fact that trait may not be the digital medium itself.

Reactions: DaveyF

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Al, congratulations on a superbly written and well constructed review. Your observations are well described and clear. I know most of the music, so I can relate to the comments. I look forward to hearing this improvement for myself. I particularly find interesting your comments about digititis, and how in fact that trait may not be the digital medium itself.

Thank you, Peter, and thanks again for bringing up the issue of better stands, which caused me to finally to put in the order.

I am not claiming that there is no digititis caused by digital itself. I think the phenomenon is real, and that digital can have unpleasant distortions, even though these become ever less the better the digital source is. It's just that often the main problems are downstream of digital in the system, or in the speaker/room interaction. These problems tend to be revealed ruthlessly by the unforgiving nature of digital, and themselves cause an impression of digititis. As these downstream problems are taken care of, a lot of alleged 'digititis' tends to go away.

I was just listening again to Kenny Burrell's Midnight Blue. Cymbals are even better resolved than before, as is the saxophone sound. The sax also has a fuller, rounder tone in some passages, while in others it is just as cutting as before. Again the expressive range has increased. The bass is quite generous on the CD, but is now tighter too, no need to turn down the subs anymore to avoid bloat.

Last edited:

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Sound Anchor stands are very nice. I'm quite familiar as I helped a local dealer swap out monitor stands for Sound Anchors in about 4 different systems. There wasn't one case where we couldn't hear an immediate difference.

I didn't read your entire post, so maybe it was mentioned, but many (or all?) of the Sound Anchors are hollow and further benefit from being filled with steel shot and sand. Not sure if you've done this.

Last edited:

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Sound Anchor stands are very nice. I'm quite familiar as I helped a local dealer swap out monitor stands for Sound Anchors in about 4 different systems. There wasn't one case where we couldn't hear an immediate difference.

I didn't read your entire post, so maybe it was mentioned, but many (or all?) of the Sound Anchors are hollow and further benefit from being filled with steel shot and sand. Not sure if you've done this.

Great to hear that you had good experiences with Sound Anchor stands as well. The Signature stands come pre-filled, so they were ready to roll.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Ok these were TOTL as well. He mentioned them being filled (they were heavy as hell) but I'd assumed he did the filling. Great stands. Now make sure your cable risers are up to snuff. :p

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Ok these were TOTL as well. He mentioned them being filled (they were heavy as hell) but I'd assumed he did the filling. Great stands. Now make sure your cable risers are up to snuff. :p

Yeah, they're heavy, about 100 pounds each. What do you suggest for the cable risers?

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I just heard Al’s system last night with the addition of the new speaker stands. They are very attractive and look as though they could have been designed with his monitors in mind. Knowing how vital the massive stands were to the quality of the sound of my Mini 2s, I was optimistic that these new stands would improve the sound of Al’s excellent monitors. I was correct. These new stands are massive, extremely inert, and provide a MUCH better platform and interface with the concrete slabs on the floor. The whole assembly is much more solid and rigid.

Al first played for me some choral music. The lights were low. The system completely disappeared, both visually, and figuratively. It disappeared before too, but there was more of a transported-to-the-venue effect to the listening with these new stands in place. This was very impressive. We then played some piano, violins, Kenny Burrell. The sax on the jazz was just incredible, as was the sense of presence and accurate timbre. Overall, the system has taken yet another step forward with increased resolution, weight, and focus. The staging seems even more precise and natural than before.

It’s a significant upgrade. Congratulations, Al. Well done.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
+1 I had the same reaction more or less.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Thanks, Peter and Ack. Yes, this is a significant upgrade, I am thrilled.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing