Reviews

Jul 9, 2018
A very informative review of the Small Green Computer sonicTransporter i5 and original Sonore Signature Rendu.
https://forum.audiogon.com/discussi...all-green-computer-and-signature-series-rendu

My favorite quotes:
The STi5 arrived first. I loaded my digital music library (about 500 GB) onto it without difficulty. Then I compared the STi5 to my 2017 MacBook Pro as a file server, using the Chord Mojo DAC for both. I can't remember exactly how I hooked up the STi5 for this comparison; but it was one of those situations where the improvement was so immediately obvious that I didn't spend much time on it, and haven't looked back. My remaining impression is one of a more stable, solid and clean sound using the STi5.

DAC manufacturers tend to overstate the independence of their DACs from the quality of upstream components; and my upgrade strongly confirmed this belief. Not to put too fine a point on it, my DAC sounds at least twice as good as it did before I inserted the SGC server and Sonore renderer. I was puzzled by the brief but rather sweeping character of some SGC and Sonore reviews, until I reached the same conclusion: my system was now producing the best sound I'd ever heard at home.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Have pretty much whittled down my streamer/server options to SGC i5 w MicroRendu and LPS to supply both (or Roon Nucleus/Innuos Zenith), into something like an MHDT Orchid/Lab12/Kitsune Holo Springs dac.

I have no reservations about likely SQ, all reports on SGC have been uniformly excellent, as per Sujay.

I'm really interested in things like user interface, esp as a customer who has zero skills in computer audio, and likely v little input from a 3rd party.

Any comments on Roon Rock used on Nucleus versus Linux on SGC?

sujay

Member Sponsor
May 5, 2012
Singapore
Have pretty much whittled down my streamer/server options to SGC i5 w MicroRendu and LPS to supply both (or Roon Nucleus/Innuos Zenith), into something like an MHDT Orchid/Lab12/Kitsune Holo Springs dac.

I have no reservations about likely SQ, all reports on SGC have been uniformly excellent, as per Sujay.

I'm really interested in things like user interface, esp as a customer who has zero skills in computer audio, and likely v little input from a 3rd party.

Any comments on Roon Rock used on Nucleus versus Linux on SGC?
The Zenith is also quite compelling. I finally went down the Lumin U1 route because I got a good price on a used one. Otherwise, my first choice would have been the Signature Rendu optical. I would suggest if you are going down the Sonore route, go whole hog for the signature optical.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Sujay, not Roon Nucleus/Plus?

sujay

Member Sponsor
May 5, 2012
Singapore
i haven’t heard the nucleus plus but I guess it is also a one box solution streaming to the DAC. I always prefer a more modular approach that allows one to change components at a later date. A one box solution is always a commitment that removes this flexibility. Having said this, I would wager that the Signature Rendu optical would beat the nucleus plus.
There is a Darko review, linked below, which probably says just that
https://darko.audio/2018/08/roon-labs-nucleus-review/

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Can you send me a link to Signature Rendu optical?
MicroRendu not sufficient?

Can you send me a link to Signature Rendu optical?
MicroRendu not sufficient?
The microRendu is a great music streamer. It sounds much better then using a computer or a Nucleus (as a player).

The next upgrade is the opticalRendu. The opticalRendu has an optical network interface. This eliminates all noise from the network.

If you really want the best sound get the Signature Rendu SE optical.

https://www.smallgreencomputer.com/collections/systemoptique/products/systemoptique-se

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Agillis, and which Sonic Transporter are you using w the Signature Rendu SE Optical? i5 or i7?

Both the sonicTranspoerter i5 and sonicTranspoerter i7 work very well with the Signature Rendu SE Optical.

I use the i5 CDR myself as I don't do any DSD512 upsampling. You only really need the i7 for upsampling music to DSD512.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Agillis, there are a couple of options on the Sig Rendu SE Opt, impvd internal components, taking the price to c$4.5k. You'd advise this route?

Can I ask how you've come to the decision to go SGC/Sonore over alternatives like Innuos Zenith or Roon Roon Nucleus?

The Signature Rendu SE Optical are all built one at a time by a Sonore engineer in Colorado. In his spare time he he had some ideas for how to improve the sound and he tested them out in his listening room. These improvements are small but you can hear them on a very reveling system. These types of upgrades are for our customers that want the best of the best and money is no object. We sell them as the Tier I and Tier II upgrades for the Signature Rendu SE Optical.

The Roon Nucleus is a great server but it's just a stock NUC running ROCK OS. It does nothing to improve the USB connection to the DAC. Many people use our players such as the ultraRendu with the Roon Nucleus. This is a great combination. Our sonicTransporter server has more features then the Nucleus so many customs get one for that reason.

The Innuos Zenith uses a stock or slightly modified PC motherboard with nice linear supplies to power it. The sound out of these is much better then a stock PC or NUC USB port but not as good as a you get with a dedicated Ethernet to USB player such as the Sonore Rendu players.

Also may Innuos users have complained that the Innuos Zenith is not fast enough to run Roon Core. It's Intel Celeron processor is just barely at the low limit of the spec for Roon core. You get much better Roon performance using an i5. So many Innuos Zenith owners use the Innuos Zenithas a Roon Ready player and use a sonicTranspoerter i5 for their Roon Core.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
That's Andrew, yes? A pleasure to chat to you. For a few reasons (reluctance, even if fast receding, to finally not rely on physical media; lack of budget atm, and anxiety on making the wrong choice - I don't have any mainline dealer relationship, and am all thumbs and pounding headaches when it comes to computers LOL), I'm not rushing into things.

I have to say I like what I'm seeing re Sonic Transporter and Sonore, and they're gradually rising to the top of my shortlist.

Andrew, any thoughts on people's reticence on Linux, which I believe is yr platform? I've spoke to two streaming guys who swear on Windows as the OS over Linux, esp for music demands. I can't really comment, just curious re yr thoughts on their antipathy to Linux.

- I don't have any mainline dealer relationship, and am all thumbs and pounding headaches when it comes to computers LOL
Our units are all plug and play appliances. No computer knowledge necessary. :)

Everybody has their opinion but the consensus in the industry seems to be that low latency Linux is the best for audio. This is what we have found is our testing and all major music servers and players today are based on Linux so my guess is other engineers have found the same.

From a DIY prospective Linux may be a bit harder to learn then Windows but for a ready made product that shields the user from the operating system Linux is the way to go. Maybe your streaming guys are DIYers and want a desktop OS.

asiufy

Member Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Also may Innuos users have complained that the Innuos Zenith is not fast enough to run Roon Core. It's Intel Celeron processor is just barely at the low limit of the spec for Roon core. You get much better Roon performance using an i5. So many Innuos Zenith owners use the Innuos Zenithas a Roon Ready player and use a sonicTranspoerter i5 for their Roon Core.
The Innuos Zenith is perfectly capable of running Roon Core. It will only choke while doing DSP/upsampling with DSD. With PCM upsampling/DSP, it'll work fine, and, of course, it'll work even better with none of it.

I've found out that with servers, faster is not generally better.

I've found out that the Innuos running Roon Core, even the little Zen mini, sounds better than a computer running Linux, even over Ethernet.

It will also choke with large libraries. But yes as I mentioned it does meet the absolute bare minimum spec for Roon.

it'll work even better with none of it.
Many of my customers would agree with this as well. This is why they run Roon Core on a sonicTransporter and use the Innuos Zenith as a player only.

I agree with you that low power CPUs are better. That is why our Sonore Rendu players run on super low power ARM processors. They sound much better then attaching a DAC to a high powered computer.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. A place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss existing and new audio products, music servers, music streamers and computer audio, digital to audio convertors (DACS), turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel to reel, speakers, headphones, tube amplifiers and solid state amplification. Founded in 2010 What's Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing