Rio 2016 Olympics - next Summer Olympic Games in Brazil

rad

Jun 13, 2010
Ohio
NorthStar,

Thank you for sharing, great reads, vids, & pics!
I love the Olympics & watched as much as I could but IMHO NBC does a horrendous job in their coverage! What a joke!
Thank God I was able to watch some events on another channel.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
The bigest problem was not what happened on gas station, was about Ryan declare a robbery when haven't happen. All media channels on the world was announcing that Rio is very violent (true) and that was going to be the most violent olympic games ever. It didn't happened because hundred thousand policemen force from entire country was moved here exactly to do not allow anything wrong with athletes and tourist. Be a olympic city is about tourism marketing worldwide. So when Ryan went to a police station and declared a robbery by policemens in a road 100% monitored for a couple days all the worlds media channels had exactly they was waiting to start a public defame and confirm what has been announced. The gas station employees just knew they was athletes on tv about repercussion on robbery, just then they informed they was responsible about the occurrence on day of that.

They was accused about perjury on robbery not about what happened. in time is very common the Gas stations here have the key of bathroom be on desk available and off course they should not know about that.

anyway the police reply was about anti marketing of a robbery didn't happened. not about anything on gas station.

Luiz, I understand very well this important point. I simply brought another perspective to help understand the situation.

There was no key inside the gas station for the outside restroom; because the restroom was out of order anyway...probably due to the toilet being blocked by some debris...and overflowing. ...Maybe...some' like that. Anyway there was a sign that she was out of order and she was locked. I think I can easily figure out the rest; the four young men "altered" and Ryan seemed to be quite volatile. Now he's paying the ultimate price.

But Luiz, was the Rio police all fair? Because they did say that the American swimmers vandalized the restroom. And why not reveal the two prison guard's names to the journalists?
Because those two guards have an important role in all of this...the main turning point.

And last, was this legal what those two prison guards did? Were they officially acting as if they were on duty (showing a badge and drawing a gun)? And if they were, why accept money before the real police arrives? And why take the $20 US bill, plus an additional $50 (100 real)? I think Ryan wasn't in a good mood, and his three friends were afraid, truly afraid.

And this too; one of the swimmer signed a document @ the police station (I think) saying that he will be donating $11,000 US to a charity (judo club); that was his condition to not be charged! To me it sounds like extortion Luiz. I don't know the laws in Brazil, but in that article from that ? link I provided, a woman lawyer from Brazil with I believe 30 years experience made few illuminating comments. Did you read the full article?

Ryan lied about the corked gun @ his forehead, and the word robbery was exaggerated (extortion, money required for the damaged poster so that they can go before the police arrives).

I'm with you about all the bad rap Rio receives before the games; there were many concerns, but the games went without any serious incidents...like a terrorist attack, ...just some minor stuff...except for that bus attack, that 51-year old architect woman shot in the head by a mugger, a young mugger shot dead by the police, some people kidnapped and mugged, so they simply flew back home...they had enough...and the police seems to be aware of that one. One guy was not an Olympian but a judo athlete I believe, and was already living in Brazil for about a year, and his wife was a journalist @ the Olympics...but they flew before the games...they were very afraid and not trusting anyone.
I've read that story, where kidnapped and in a car he was asked to withdraw money @ few Instabank machines (because of a certain max allowed), and @ gunpoint. They finally released him after few bank machines. I think it's called "express kidnapping".
______

To me both Ryan and the police chief lied. That's what it truly sounds like. I think this ain't over yet...
______

But I truly enjoyed the Rio games; there were many awesome moments...and the Rio opening and closing ceremonies were fabulous.
You guys know how to throw the best parties on the planet. And the Rio people are fantastic people...the warmest on this side of the globe.
I would love to visit Rio de Janeiro and Sao Paulo, and walk in the jungles of the Amazon. * My brother traveled the entire Amazonian river.

Cheers Luiz,

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
NorthStar,

Thank you for sharing, great reads, vids, & pics!
I love the Olympics & watched as much as I could but IMHO NBC does a horrendous job in their coverage! What a joke!
Thank God I was able to watch some events on another channel.

For the last two weeks plus I learned some about NBC and NBC Prime (Live). But 95% of the time I watched CBC Live...a Canadian TV station.
I learned from Americans living in the US...from another forum. And the vast majority they all agree with you...@ 95%+.

I did not watch the opening and closing ceremonies in 4K. It was just in HD...maybe 720p I don't know for sure. But most of the stuff I watched was Live and with minimal commercials...often none @ all. I truly enjoyed my Olympic viewing experience with CBC.

I was way prepared in advance, so I read extensively before, during and still now. I dedicated all my time to the Olympics in Rio and everything related to it.
So it is extremely easy for me to share some. I had a fantastic time being glued to the tube for the last couple weeks. Because, I never watch TV...for something like twenty years, except on rare occasions like the Olympics (I subscribed just for two weeks and paid extra for CBC Olympics Live). I'm a movie man, and I got my news from the Internet.
My TV is mostly restricted to Blu-ray movies...@ 99%. This was just an exception.
And because I didn't have cable for many years they gave me a deal for three months, but I'm done...I won't watch TV anymore...they can have their digital fiber optic box back.

Thank you for appreciating the time I dedicated to this thread. If it was as much fun for you as it was for me...we had a blast! :b
But it was the Live TV experience of the games, plus Bolt that was the true lightening delight...and much much more.
_____

It will be more quiet here now...only the latest developments related to the games might end up here...some of the stories I still follow.
And in four years a new thread will become super active...Tokyo 2020 summer Olympic games. :b

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Latest about that Rio incident involving the four Olympic US swimmers:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...te-dancing-with-the-stars-dwts-cast/89306932/
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...mmers-incident-release-negotiations/89245930/
_______

Prosecutors initially sought $31,500 for the return of Feigen’s passport that would allow him to leave the country. When Feigen’s lawyers balked at that figure, prosecutors raised the fine to $46,875.
“Finally, all parties agreed to a $10,800.00 fine,” Feigen said. “I was able to contact my family in the United States along with my American attorneys and we were able to satisfy the payment of the fine the next day. My passport was returned to me after payment was received, and I was able to return home.”

“We pulled over to a gas station to use the bathroom but the door was locked,” Feigen said. “We did not force entry into the bathroom, nor did we ever enter the bathroom. We did, however, make the regrettable decision to urinate in the grass behind the building.”

He omitted the urination part when he first spoke with police, but gave the full story when he was subsequently interviewed by authorities.

“On our way back to the cab, Ryan Lochte pulled a poster in a metal frame off a wall,” Feigen said. “I got back into the cab and waited for the others. One of my teammates told me that a man with a gun was standing outside the cab. The man with the gun spoke with the cab driver, who got out of the cab. We then got out of the cab and I paid the driver the fare. As I walked away, the man with the gun pointed it at me and my teammates and ordered us, in Portuguese, to sit. This was the first time I have ever had a gun pointed at me and I was terrified.”

Feigen said he and Bentz paid for the damage to the poster.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/aug/25/ryan-lochte-charged-rio-police-false-report

Rio's police chief should also be criminally charged the same for lying too, and for omitting key moments in that video, and for deleting key statements from the US swimmers' official declarations. Lol, it is obvious that they are playing a sick game. They are digging their own hole, and they are money extortionists.
Their motivation? Protect their own corrupted interests, hiding behind their own hypocrisy in hope to save face. Let it be, live and let live. Leave the kids alone, live in peace. Christ the Redeemer is not redeeming much. Talkin' 'bout the chief of police here, and whoever else is compliant with him. And not about the good people of Rio, the great city of Rio.

Funny world we live in, and it's everywhere...no exception.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Fresh from yesterday: http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeoza...rong-about-ryan-lochte-incident/#a76cc8567e6f

This, was an earlier article; lots of baloney in it: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...claims-brazen-Lochte-laughs-social-media.html

Rio's police and media's lies:

1. "...how swimmers lied about robbery to cover up fighting with gas station guard and picking up women for sex."

2. "The group of US swimmers caused damage to a gas station bathroom."
"The men were seen on video camera causing destruction and vandalism to the bathroom at the establishment." ? A big lie from Rio police chief.

3. Pure baloney again: "The men were with two women whose identities are unknown and police believe this may have been their motive in hiding what happened since they could have girlfriends."
_____
_____

Yes, I do follow this story very attentively, because Ryan's life has been destroyed my all world's medias who just want to cash in by what appears to be. But it is just the exact opposite; Ryan did "embellish" it a little. And if that witness hasn't been there, it couldn't have been much worse...all their money from their wallets would have disappeared.
But they did get $11,000 from one of the swimmers, so that he can get his passport back, go home, and not being charged! What a bunch of crooks...the Rio police!

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
That is quite stiff: http://news.nationalpost.com/sports...-for-fabricated-robbery-story-at-rio-olympics

1. Ryan should have kept his mouth shut.
2. In that short video of that above link; I don't know why they show the restroom door because they never broke it. This is bad journalism without facts.
3. The two guards did draw their guns and pointed them towards the US Olympic swimmers. That guy (witness) was no more witness than my dear departed grand mothers.

Anyway, it's a weird world the one we live in sometimes. Too late; Ryan cannot go back in time and just shot his mouth. That alone brought the worst in many people surrounding this affair.
But it's not a reason for the Rio police to lie either. And that witness, and the National Post ... they have zero credibility.
The news media are so out of touch with the real news that they are making this world worst than it truly is. They are polluting us with false information.
They'll do anything to sell a story, even lying.

I feel pain for the other three swimmers, I really do. Only Ryan is accountable, nobody else.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing