RIP - Heartfelt thanks to Paul Chambers of Goodwin's High End!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Only Dunlavy and Avalon.
OK! Let me look back into that time period to see if I can find it. Would be fun if I can post a picture of it.

squasher

Apr 7, 2016
Sadly, I am just now seeing this thread about Paul's passing.

I am another longtime customer / admirer of Goodwin's and, especially, Paul Chambers.

I echo the many great things said about Paul in the many notes said about him in this forum. I spent many hours talking to Paul and asking him loads of questions. He never once seemed to mind or rush me on my way. I did buy a number of items from Paul through the years but I guarantee that he spent way more time with me than any other reasonable salesperson should have... It was his super friendly and congenial personality that I greatly appreciated.

Goodwin's may still be a great store (I no longer work nearby so I haven't been in a while) but it will always be missing a piece of it without Paul Chambers.

Sadly, Chris Kniker (squasher)

LakeLife

Jan 21, 2020
Learned of Paul's passing last year, but new to this forum. Will miss Paul; he was great to work with. Even brought my family to Goodwins to get buy-in on speaker upgrades - Paul was my accomplice - we had our shtick worked out :).
Was at Goodwin's this week; first time since 2019 - planning to try out some (smaller) Magicos - still a great place.

Will miss Paul -

cmalak

Jul 21, 2015
It is gratifying to see so many folks honoring Paul's memory and what he meant to those of us who knew him via our hobby. I just found out about Paul's passing from Jim Fuller at Goodwins as I had not been frequenting the store as much in recent years. Similar to many of you here who got to know Paul, I walked into Goodwins in 2004 at the onset of my high-end audio journey largely to learn about the hobby and Paul was willing to talk about and demo the products in the store. I first bought Thiel 2.4s and a Musical Fidelity integrated amp from another now defunct store in Boston but the sound over long listening periods was quite fatiguing. So I ended up coming in once a month to listen to different amplification and sources and every time we’d chat about what I was about to listen to and then he’d give me pointers what to listen for and then he would let me be for a few hours on my own and that was it. Never with the hard sell and never with any expectation of a sale. I ended up buying a full suite of Audio Research electronics (source, preamp and stereo amp) from Paul along with all upgraded Nordost cabling. I became a regular in the ensuing years, coming in to the shop every few months to check out the latest and greatest and Paul would bust my chops and we would chit chat and then He would always graciously have the room already set up with whatever component I requested to listen to prior and off he would go while I listened with my music in hand for the next couple of hours. When the occasional piece needed to be serviced or was out of commission, all I had to do was call Paul and there would be a loaner piece to bridge me through the servicing period. I ended up getting my TT some years back from Paul and (Jim Fuller who is the turntable expert at Goodwins) and after that my visits to Goodwins started to decrease as life and other things took over but I always look back on those days so fondly and Paul was a big part of that journey of learning about the equipment and the enjoyment that it has given me all these years. I was shocked to hear of his passing and I will miss him for sure. I know this is almost a year after his passing but I wanted to commemorate his memory and add to the many voices of support here. May he RIP and my thoughts and well wishes go out to his wife and two daughters.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Another great tribute...

Bartolo

Jan 31, 2019
Yesterday was my first visit to Goodwins since Paul's passing. Alan was very gracious and we spent a lot of time together listening to speakers. But Paul definitely was on my mind, walking in and expecting him to be there.

Reactions: VLS and MadFloyd

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing