Robert Koda K160 Amps are on their way finally!

amadeus

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2018
I have ordered my Robert Koda K160 Mono Amps the latest creation of Master Robert Koch back in October last year and finally My Robert Koda K160 Serial No 2A/2B the second one in the world and the first one outside of Asia (HongKong) is shipped.

I know Robert worked for many years on new ideas and experimented endless to be satisfied his goal was to break the questioning what's better Tubes (more Romantic more Magic or Transistors are faster and have more resolution...) The idea was to create an amp that does not count in pros and cons of those two worlds and has all the advantages of both worlds inside.

Javier owner and head designer of Wadax Audio that i know personally visited Audio Exotics that has the first ever K160 Amps and his comments after a extensive listening session confirms that Robert is succeed in his search for years and reached his goal:

"this is the best amplifier I have ever experienced in my life regardless of solid state and tube. This amplifier reproduces soul." Xavier Wadax Audio.

I have waited almost 9 months and finally the Baby is (almost) born will receive them in few days and will post first pics here on WBF soon,

Only N type transistors
Perfected balanced, single ended or floating inputs
Zero negative feedback
Zero modulation on power supply
Only two stage – Yet 100% independent in operation
Extra high voltage (160V) power supply on first stage
Reactor power supply for power output stage
Class A – With over 8 Amps of standing current
Fabulous signal to noise ratio
Completely servo free
Ne Plus Ultra parts
Vacuum stateless
Assembled with pride, patience and perfection

Technical Specifications – Per single unit

Output power

150W / 8 ohm
230W / 4 ohm

Gain

26dB SE, balanced or floating
Input impedance

Greater than 10K ohms (SE, balanced or floating)
Output impedance

0.05 ohms at 1KHz (damping factor is 160)
Signal to noise

105.5dB (A weight) @ 1W into 8 ohms. 125.5dB at 100W into 8 ohms
Distorsion

0.0009% at 5 watts into 8 ohm, 1KHz.
0.005% at 50 watts into 8 ohm, 1KHz.
Power consumption

550W at all times (high power mode)
400W at all times (normal mode)
Weight

45Kg unpacked per unit k-160-front.jpg

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Congratulations, amadeus, for getting only the second pair of these amplifiers in the world! We look forward to photos and to your listening impressions!

Which amplifiers are these new ones replacing?

Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2018
Congratulations, amadeus, for getting only the second pair of these amplifiers in the world! We look forward to photos and to your listening impressions!

Thank you Ron!

I was using two pairs of Mono amps the Robert Koda K70G2 as my reference amps and because the arriving of the Robert Koda K160 i have sold the wonderful K70G2 amps a while ago and my second pair amps is Kondo Kagura but soon the Koda K160 will be the only Amps in the system.

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
Congratulations Ertugrul! Will be very interesting to read your comments especially the comparison with your ex. K70G2.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I was amazed at how tube-like the K10 preamp was when I auditioned it. I can well imagine Robert has replicated the same trick w these new monos.

dcathro

Sep 16, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
Congratulations on your acquisition!

The photo makes the amp look quite compact, yet at 45kg I suspect they are not small.

Martin Colloms has you old amps as one of the best sounding ever.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I have ordered my Robert Koda K160 Mono Amps the latest creation of Master Robert Koch back in October last year and finally My Robert Koda K160 Serial No 2A/2B the second one in the world and the first one outside of Asia (HongKong) is shipped.

I know Robert worked for many years on new ideas and experimented endless to be satisfied his goal was to break the questioning what's better Tubes (more Romantic more Magic or Transistors are faster and have more resolution...) The idea was to create an amp that does not count in pros and cons of those two worlds and has all the advantages of both worlds inside.

Javier owner and head designer of Wadax Audio that i know personally visited Audio Exotics that has the first ever K160 Amps and his comments after a extensive listening session confirms that Robert is succeed in his search for years and reached his goal:

"this is the best amplifier I have ever experienced in my life regardless of solid state and tube. This amplifier reproduces soul." Xavier Wadax Audio.

I have waited almost 9 months and finally the Baby is (almost) born will receive them in few days and will post first pics here on WBF soon,

Only N type transistors
Perfected balanced, single ended or floating inputs
Zero negative feedback
Zero modulation on power supply
Only two stage – Yet 100% independent in operation
Extra high voltage (160V) power supply on first stage
Reactor power supply for power output stage
Class A – With over 8 Amps of standing current
Fabulous signal to noise ratio
Completely servo free
Ne Plus Ultra parts
Vacuum stateless
Assembled with pride, patience and perfection

Technical Specifications – Per single unit

Output power

150W / 8 ohm
230W / 4 ohm

Gain

26dB SE, balanced or floating
Input impedance

Greater than 10K ohms (SE, balanced or floating)
Output impedance

0.05 ohms at 1KHz (damping factor is 160)
Signal to noise

105.5dB (A weight) @ 1W into 8 ohms. 125.5dB at 100W into 8 ohms
Distorsion

0.0009% at 5 watts into 8 ohm, 1KHz.
0.005% at 50 watts into 8 ohm, 1KHz.
Power consumption

550W at all times (high power mode)
400W at all times (normal mode)
Weight

45Kg unpacked per unit View attachment 66300
Rock us with your new amps Amadeus.

amadeus

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2018

My Reference for the last 5 years was Robert Koda G2 i haven't heard more natural fast and tonal corect amp yet this are sold due arrival of K160 and at the moment i am using Kondo Kagura Monos.
I will post pics and my experience of Robert Koda New creation.

amadeus

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2018
Congratulations Ertugrul! Will be very interesting to read your comments especially the comparison with your ex. K70G2.

Yes Marcus that's what i am also waiting for how much better can it be the K70G2...?
Hopefully i will know soon and i will keep posting my findings.

amadeus

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2018
Congratulations on your acquisition!

The photo makes the amp look quite compact, yet at 45kg I suspect they are not small.

Martin Colloms has you old amps as one of the best sounding ever.

I would never sell them if this was not an option:)

amadeus

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2018

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
That is absolutely fantastic news! Congrats...that is going to be a legendary amp if all the other Koda pieces are any proxy. Look forward to reading all about it!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Congratulations Amadeus - I never listened to the Koda's but someone I respect and does not sell them told me they are really great!

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Congratulations Ertugrul! Like you I am enjoying the Robert Koda preamp and K70mk2 amps. I would be interested to hear your thoughts pairing the Zanden Chukoh with the K160s and comparing it with the Koda preamp.....

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

amadeus

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2018

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I do not have a concrete decision yet but Alsyvox ,Cessaro , Gryphon Kodo or Arrakis are some serious candidates that i am ready to live whit for some years.

Did you read my mind for my favorite speaker list? :)

Also, if group or family listening is desirable, Gary's Genesis Prime must be considered.

Last edited:

amadeus

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2018
Did you read my mind for my favorite speaker list? :)

Also, if group or family listening is desirable, Gary's Genesis Prime must be considered.

Yes i did:)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I do not have a concrete decision yet but Alsyvox ,Cessaro , Gryphon Kodo or Arrakis are some serious candidates that i am ready to live whit for some years.

Excellent! A new adventure from a high-altitude adventurer! Fun to watch. I have always been an enormous fan of the Gryphon Arrakis as you know and was in discussions on a 2nd hand set recently. After numerous discussions with Andy Payor and Josh, i realized that for any amount of foreseeable future, they were not for me despite their being absolutely magnificent. (commitment of space, more amplification + crossover (more space), more cables (more underfloor trunking space)...was just a bridge too far.) I had been hoping you can drive them passively and then eventually when space and time permit, go the active crossover route, but they will not work unless driven actively with 2 sets of stereo amps or 2 sets of monos. And despite some assurance to the contrary, I have heard on good account from owners you really want to drive them with matching amps (so that is 2 Mephistos for me or in your case 2 Koda 160s).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing