Robert Koda Takumi K15 Preamp

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Well, after 4 months, the XLFs are in (not calibrated completely yet but at least positioned and now on Stillpoints Ultra 5s), the Robert Koda K15EX Super Ground has 200 hours on it...and the Gryphon is FINALLY back after a long repair.

Day one of the union is startlingly good. Robert Koch Founder of Robert Koda and Miguel Founder of Tripoint both were both correct when they each advised me: the Robert Koda K15EX and Gryphon Audio Class A behemoth are a clear match made in heaven:

- All the organic nuance, insane detailed clarity, tonal density and powerful weight/authority of the Robert Koda combines extremely well with
- the grace, other-wordly all-out unassailable power and foundation. image and tonal density and low noise/incredible detail retrieval of the Gryphon Mephisto

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
"...other-worldly all-out unassailable..."
A phrase after my own heart.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
This month's HiFi+ Cover

1625008174356.png

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
This month's HiFi+ Cover

View attachment 79645
I always wanted to hear the K15. My Nagra was easier to demo and just fell in love. I'd be curious what others are say about the K15 and especially Koda's phono stage...

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hey JFrech, there have been 3 versions of the K15: the original K15, the K15EX and the K15EX with a Superground inside. I believe that the EX significantly increased the sense of drive/propulsion the preamp was capable of delivering from what I have read. The Supergound is about lowering the noise floor even further and enabling further detail and decay to rise to the surface.

So if you heard the Robert Koda, definitely would suggest the latest version.

As for Opus, because I have asked if my Opus Gen 5 Robert Koda - Gryphon Mephisto IC needs to be recalibrated (for free), I have also inquired about and "Update" to Gen 6. Apparently, there is Upgrade which is a new cable...by contrast you are also able to use your existing cable and do an Update which keeps your shell, cable and changes just the interior of the network box. Have you asked about this?

Reactions: CKKeung

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Hey JFrech, there have been 3 versions of the K15: the original K15, the K15EX and the K15EX with a Superground inside. I believe that the EX significantly increased the sense of drive/propulsion the preamp was capable of delivering from what I have read. The Supergound is about lowering the noise floor even further and enabling further detail and decay to rise to the surface.

As for Opus, because I have asked if my Opus Gen 5 Robert Koda - Gryphon Mephisto IC needs to be recalibrated (for free), I have also inquired about and "Update" to Gen 6. Apparently, there is Upgrade which is a new cable...by contrast you are also able to use your existing cable and do an Update which keeps your shell, cable and changes just the interior of the network box. Have you asked about this?
Yes, I am doing the update, my dac to preamp cable is at Transparent now...ETA next week I hope. Stay tuned...

Reactions: CKKeung

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Yes, I am doing the update, my dac to preamp cable is at Transparent now...ETA next week I hope. Stay tuned...
Great! If you can PM me on pricing 'guidance'...dont need to know the deal you've struck for yourself...that would be helpful. I have already asked either for now or in the future.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

Your Opus Gen5 must be re-calibated.

However I strongly suggest upgrading to Gen6.
Transparent is vnow.very helpful in this aspect.

In HK, the Transparent dealer is clearing up all their Gen5 stock now.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Your Opus Gen5 must be re-calibated.

However I strongly suggest upgrading to Gen6.
Transparent is vnow.very helpful in this aspect.

In HK, the Transparent dealer is clearing up all their Gen5 stock now.
Thanks! The cables are being picked up next week, and I will have some loaners in the meantime. I have decided not to upgrade to 6. We have done an incredible amount of work on the system in the last several months, and I think it is nice to draw a line under it for now. Besides, the next project is likely to be dual Subs rather than upgrading to 6.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing