Rock and Drum videos thread

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
Have you noticed that musicians wear ear protection when playing live?
Unsure why you chose not to answer a single one of my questions.

Sure, some musicians wear ear protection. Have you not noticed how close they are to their own and surrounding instruments? Thankfully, our listening perspective is supposed to be at a distance like maybe somewhere in the audience with the performers on a soundstage? So your point here seems sorta’ pointless.

Do you think they come home and blast music in their living room ?
Golly, I don’t know. I imagine some come home to brush their teeth and go to bed while others make love to their spouses or go out to dinner? But I do know many musicians stay clear of high-end audio altogether – some perhaps for valid reasons.

BTW, you started off by talking live performance volume levels. How does live performance volume levels now equate to blasting? Unless perhaps you’re now overemphasizing to make some imaginary point?

Since when is loud volume required for "engagement"?
Forget loud and blasting. We’re talking live performance volume levels here. Such levels are only a requirement for those pursuing a sense of genuine realism - no more and no less than any other sonic characteristic. If this doesn’t sound like you, then why are we having this conversation? But to substantial my position, go listen to your most engaging music piece and continue turning down the volume until it is no longer engaging. Eventually, you should understand my point.

Everyone is free to listen at whatever volume they find comfortable.
Indeed. You can also pull weeds, walk, knit, crochet, finish your math homework, etc. with an AM transistor radio and earbuds. But how serious of a system is required to meet such criteria?

You seem to think that a system cannot sound "realistic" unless it plays loud.
That’s only because you’ve not given this much thought. Apparently, you’re unaware that the lower the volume, the more music info is missing from the presentation. Try turning your volume slowly down to zero if you think I’m wrong.

Like I said before, live performance volume levels are no more and no less worthy than any other genuine sonic characteristic. I get that you’ve conditioned yourself to listen at lowered volume levels, but can you really prove otherwise?

I would say that systems never sound realistic even if they play loud, but if you think differently, more power to you!
I would say that some playback configs clearly sound closer to live music than others. And a dead giveaway of limited and less musical playback systems are those unable to listen to playback music near/at live performance volume levels. Due primarily to distortions that rise with volume levels that induce serious breakup, flattening out, etc resulting in ear bleed, hearing impairment, etc. I suspect this is primarily why so many have adhered to this preconceived narrative for the past 50+ years. IOW, to receive listening enjoyment they’ve had to condition themselves to listen at lower levels otherwise the distortions make them wince, cringe, or even run outta the room.

BTW, when it comes to pursuing a sense of realism, I’m coming from the position that everything matters but only because it is so. As for your position, who made anybody here grand poo-bah to discern and dictate which sonic characteristics are important and which are not?

Maybe it's a question of expectations.
Or perhaps it's more of a question of lowered expections and/or not putting much thought into their pursuit?

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Usually it’s a sign of a system that lacks the ability to deliver engagement at lower volume levels…that said I know some people who almost always play loud to very loud no matter what system.
I think that with some systems if they make you deaf they might actually be doing you a favour.

hopkins

Sep 10, 2022
Paris
paulstephane.github.io
Unsure why you chose not to answer a single one of my questions.

Sure, some musicians wear ear protection. Have you not noticed how close they are to their own and surrounding instruments? Thankfully, our listening perspective is supposed to be at a distance like maybe somewhere in the audience with the performers on a soundstage? So your point here seems sorta’ pointless.

Golly, I don’t know. I imagine some come home to brush their teeth and go to bed while others make love to their spouses or go out to dinner? But I do know many musicians stay clear of high-end audio altogether – some perhaps for valid reasons.

BTW, you started off by talking live performance volume levels. How does live performance volume levels now equate to blasting? Unless perhaps you’re now overemphasizing to make some imaginary point?

Forget loud and blasting. We’re talking live performance volume levels here. Such levels are only a requirement for those pursuing a sense of genuine realism - no more and no less than any other sonic characteristic. If this doesn’t sound like you, then why are we having this conversation? But to substantial my position, go listen to your most engaging music piece and continue turning down the volume until it is no longer engaging. Eventually, you should understand my point.

Indeed. You can also pull weeds, walk, knit, crochet, finish your math homework, etc. with an AM transistor radio and earbuds. But how serious of a system is required to meet such criteria?

That’s only because you’ve not given this much thought. Apparently, you’re unaware that the lower the volume, the more music info is missing from the presentation. Try turning your volume slowly down to zero if you think I’m wrong.

Like I said before, live performance volume levels are no more and no less worthy than any other genuine sonic characteristic. I get that you’ve conditioned yourself to listen at lowered volume levels, but can you really prove otherwise?

I would say that some playback configs clearly sound closer to live music than others. And a dead giveaway of limited and less musical playback systems are those unable to listen to playback music near/at live performance volume levels. Due primarily to distortions that rise with volume levels that induce serious breakup, flattening out, etc resulting in ear bleed, hearing impairment, etc. I suspect this is primarily why so many have adhered to this preconceived narrative for the past 50+ years. IOW, to receive listening enjoyment they’ve had to condition themselves to listen at lower levels otherwise the distortions make them wince, cringe, or even run outta the room.

BTW, when it comes to pursuing a sense of realism, I’m coming from the position that everything matters but only because it is so. As for your position, who made anybody here grand poo-bah to discern and dictate which sonic characteristics are important and which are not?

Or perhaps it's more of a question of lowered expections and/or not putting much thought into their pursuit?

Whatever. Just take care of your hearing...

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
Whatever.
Yes, that's one valid strategy to brush off a potential preconceived narrative.

Just take care of your hearing...
Thanks, I do appreciate that. Perceived live performance volume levels is what I strive for regardless of genre, recording quality, etc and obviously there are some pieces I will not listen to. And I rarely listen for more that 30 - 60 minutes a day even taking days off. But I'd much prefer listening in shorter durations to a hopefully more engaging and realistic presentation than longer sessions of music at volume levels and music info quantity levels neither the conductor, nor engineers, nor performers ever intended me to hear. I just don't see the logic in that pursuit.

But if you're unable to listen at live performance volumes, maybe I'm the one who should be cautioning your hearing?

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Yes, that's one valid strategy to brush off a potential preconceived narrative.

Thanks, I do appreciate that. Perceived live performance volume levels is what I strive for regardless of genre, recording quality, etc and obviously there are some pieces I will not listen to. And I rarely listen for more that 30 - 60 minutes a day even taking days off. But I'd much prefer listening in shorter durations to a hopefully more engaging and realistic presentation than longer sessions of music at volume levels and music info quantity levels neither the conductor, nor engineers, nor performers ever intended me to hear. I just don't see the logic in that pursuit.

But if you're unable to listen at live performance volumes, maybe I'm the one who should be cautioning your hearing?
Did you go to a lot of live Rock concerts in your life? If so, that could explain the need you have to listen at unhealthy levels...the damage you incurred earlier in life is coming back to haunt you now perhaps...

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
Did you go to a lot of live Rock concerts in your life? If so, that could explain the need you have to listen at unhealthy levels...the damage you incurred earlier in life is coming back to haunt you now perhaps...
Good question but no. I've probably attended no more than 15 or so rock concerts.

Give this at least some juice. But only if you intend to listen to something potentially a bit more engaging and realistic.

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
A bit rough around the edges but that's what one should expect from a less-than-stellar-engineered recording, right? Besides, that was 50+ years ago when the engineering technology was a bit more raw or primitive. Plus a really nice guitar aorund the mid-point.

If you've got a macbook and headphones, I suggest cranking it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing