Rocking the Boat : Nord Hypex NC1200 Signature Amplifier

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Nord has been selling poweramps based on Hypex NC500 modules at very low prices for several years.
https://www.nordacoustics.co.uk/
It adopts a direct-sale model and doesn't have an official dealer in Hong Kong but several friends of mine are using them happily.
The new Rev-D buffer board upgrade is particularly welcomed as it improves the sonic performance a lot.

Nord just announces to launch a new series employing Hypex NC1200 modules :
https://www.nordacoustics.co.uk/nc1200

Nord One SE NC1200.jpg

The net prices are very surprising :
Stereo version £3795
Mono version £1995.5 x2
They are less than 50% of prices of similar NC1200 poweramps in the market!

They even have a upgraded chassis option - CNCed from a solid billet of aluminum alloy :
Nord One SE NC1200 Alchemy.jpg

Officially they explain that such a low prcing is due to Hypex Electronics changing the pricing policy.
Previously NC1200 module is not available to diyers too.

Is this a result of the new generation of Class D amp employing Gallium Transistors?
Merrill has launched their new Elements Series and AGD Productions has launched their Vivace mono amps.
Both got very good feedbacks/reviews.
The Hypex modules are meeting challenge for sure!
;)

Reactions: Matias and PSAF

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
I got their mail shot also CKK and these amps are storming value in terms of the parts used. I have previously made myself a diy NC1200 amp and can imagine the input buffer board upgrades are quite significant over the stock factory chip based input. Like you said though, the new generation of transistors is approaching fast and have some very promising qualities......

Reactions: CKKeung

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I got their mail shot also CKK and these amps are storming value in terms of the parts used. I have previously made myself a diy NC1200 amp and can imagine the input buffer board upgrades are quite significant over the stock factory chip based input. Like you said though, the new generation of transistors is approaching fast and have some very promising qualities......
Other than the newer generation of Gallium Nitride transistors, another reason which may be even more important is that Bruno Putzeys has separated from Mola Mola and Hypex.

Bruno formed a new company Purifi with several gurus and is about to launch a series of new Class D modules using the so-called Eigentakt circuit :
https://6moons.com/audioreview_articles/purifi/

Bruno openly said that these new modules were better than the Ncore1200.

The formal pricings not yet anounced but I guess it may be comparable with the Ncores.
If fact NAD has just signed agreement with Purifi to use the modules in some coming NAD series.

Therefore a new Class D era is around the corner.
Anyway I think the current Nord NC1200 amps at <£4k are still very good buys.
:)

Reactions: ngamountains

Genkifd

Apr 20, 2019
seems like to me Class D isnt fully developed. Purifi is only just being implemented and products cannot yet to be purchased.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

Genkifd

Apr 20, 2019
When you going to the Spec of the Nord Three SE ET400 MKII Mono Block - still indicates the older NC500 module or am i reading it wrong

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
When you going to the Spec of the Nord Three SE ET400 MKII Mono Block - still indicates the older NC500 module or am i reading it wrong
May be too rush and missed to amend some of the old webshop info.

BTW I wonder whether there will soon be a version with better components such as NCF IEC socket, better xlr sockets ... etc.

The Nord top NC1200 mono is still more expenaive than this Three SE ET400 MkII mono.
Does this imply sonically the NC1200 is still better?
Or the price diff is due only to the output power ratings?

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Therefore a new Class D era is around the corner.

:)

Been hearing this for 20+ years now! ;)

I built some NC500 monos and imo they are excellent for bass and well... not good for full range using the stock input board. It's like work listening to them used full range.

Genkifd

Apr 20, 2019
the owner of Hulgich Audio has expressed to him that they employees of Nord are divided on the Purifi vs Ncore amps. they apparently sound very close.

Sablon Audio

May 22, 2015
The best amp module I have heard driven by a hypex smps is the VSSA and First One mosfet designs by LazyCat, covered extensively on Diyaudio.com. These both sounded excellent and were rather more convincing than the nc400/nc500/nc1200 designs I have built. Sadly the manufacturer support for these mosfets now seems to have gone awol though the gAN modules from Orchard Audio appear interesting and are also available ready built.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
The best amp module I have heard driven by a hypex smps is the VSSA and First One mosfet designs by LazyCat, covered extensively on Diyaudio.com. These both sounded excellent and were rather more convincing than the nc400/nc500/nc1200 designs I have built. Sadly the manufacturer support for these mosfets now seems to have gone awol though the gAN modules from Orchard Audio appear interesting and are also available ready built.
Orchard Audio is offering pre-order of their coming Gallium Nitride transistor amp called "BOSC" via Indiegogo.
However I personally think that the look and pricings of the amp are not attractive.

Reactions: opus112

Genkifd

Apr 20, 2019
if you had to choose the new Purifi or NC1200 monos from Nord what would you choose? im leaning towards the Purifi as they are new tech and have more than ample power to drive the speaker i desire.

Sablon Audio

May 22, 2015
As these purefi modules are only just starting dribbling into the market place, nobody other than manufacturers using them will be able to give you any insights and you have that already. I would however find it hard to imagine that Bruno would be unable to surpass his Nc1200 design which is already now several years old.

Reactions: CKKeung

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
As these purefi modules are only just starting dribbling into the market place, nobody other than manufacturers using them will be able to give you any insights and you have that already. I would however find it hard to imagine that Bruno would be unable to surpass his Nc1200 design which is already now several years old.
Yes, agree!

And Bruno may have a higher Purifi model up his sleeve.
He also needs to develop a newer and better powersupply board for Purifi.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Been hearing this for 20+ years now! ;)

I built some NC500 monos and imo they are excellent for bass and well... not good for full range using the stock input board. It's like work listening to them used full range.

Dave, which input buffers did you use?

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Dave, which input buffers did you use?

The one supplied by Hypex, which I'm sure can be much better. I intended it to be used as a woofer amp so I haven't looked into it beyond seeing it needs a lot of current, more than my tube linestage/driver can produce and I haven't been motivated to try anything else as it is a good woofer amp as-is.

Genkifd

Apr 20, 2019
May be too rush and missed to amend some of the old webshop info.

BTW I wonder whether there will soon be a version with better components such as NCF IEC socket, better xlr sockets ... etc.

The Nord top NC1200 mono is still more expenaive than this Three SE ET400 MkII mono.
Does this imply sonically the NC1200 is still better?
Or the price diff is due only to the output power ratings?

I believe the price only due to the power difference. since they apparently sound very close.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I believe the price only due to the power difference. since they apparently sound very close.
According to the reviews on Purifi module at 6moons and Mivera Forum(before it became member-only), its sonic character is quite diff from Ncore1200.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing