Rockport Lyra

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
The room is much smaller than before. I was like 25ft long, 18ft wide and high vaulted ceiling. This room is about 15ft deep, 16 wide and 10ft ceiling. All the treatments are from Artnovian. Some treatments are still a work in progress. The equipment is in an adjacent room.
View attachment 101153

View attachment 101152

View attachment 101151
Thank you
This looks amazing !
Smaller 240 sqf in total and it sounds better .
I would still keep the Nagra monos inside ….. beauty .

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
I looked at the Artnovian Web site. Many of their acoustic treatments are quite stylish.
They are great.
The problem is you might need a lot of them.
10 years ago I was fully louded with many many acoustic devices.
They all did a great job improving specific aspects and trating ferquencies .
But there was always something else to treat wanting to get to perfection.
Never ending story.

Unfortunate the best approche is very different.
mesure empty room with professional microphone , softwere and frequency sample tracks,
done by professional accoustitian.
Let them Design everything
Let them Install it all.
Ask them to recheck if all works as designed with professional acoustic equipement
Have fun

I did BOTH and designing it all is far better then adding things.
Surprisingly costs are the same at the end.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Very cool John. Interesting that the amps are with the rack and not behind each speaker. Thanks for the update.
Hi Peter, just one more thing out of the room. I remember how well your smaller room sounded when I visited a few years ago. Overall, I like the sound of this room MUCH better. The Artnovian stuff did wonders. About the only thing is the super deep bass maybe isn't as deep as in the much larger former room. However those bass traps are tunable, so I have a lot of experimenting to do on the bass nodes.

I did not change speaker cable length (6ft) from the former room. So the amps are still very close to the speakers (and a hole in the wall). I did have the amps in the room at first and prefer this arrangement. Those Nagra amps are tall and extend into the center midrange area and were sending off some funky reflections. See below:

IMG_1782.JPG

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
jfrech,

I love your room and room treatment. Did you work directly with Artnovian or with a dealer?
With my dealer. Ordered a few at a time to see. First up were the front wall diffusers. Then the side wall diffusers. Then the back wall absorbers. Then the floor absorbers. Then the 3 tunable sub bass traps. Last is the ceiling diffuser. It's only 2x4ft now. It will end up being 6x4 will my back recovers from holding those damn things about my head to mount (42 pounds per each 2x2 diffuser)

Some were custom painted by Artnovian to match my trim (side wall diffusers and back wall absorbers)

Reactions: christoph

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
I wish I had that clever idea before designing everything.
having just a speakers and nothing else in the room makes a great sense !

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Hi Peter, just one more thing out of the room. I remember how well your smaller room sounded when I visited a few years ago. Overall, I like the sound of this room MUCH better. The Artnovian stuff did wonders. About the only thing is the super deep bass maybe isn't as deep as in the much larger former room. However those bass traps are tunable, so I have a lot of experimenting to do on the bass nodes.

I did not change speaker cable length (6ft) from the former room. So the amps are still very close to the speakers (and a hole in the wall). I did have the amps in the room at first and prefer this arrangement. Those Nagra amps are tall and extend into the center midrange area and were sending off some funky reflections. See below:

View attachment 101166

Hello John, yes it’s surprising how good sound can be in a small room. You visited me right after I got the big SME turntable. Things have changed a lot since then.

I think our rooms are about the same size now although your ceiling is much higher. I was wondering about those transparent speaker cables but the holes through the wall are a great solution. It’s a nice clean look to have the rack in a different space also. It’s nice to read about your system in the new place.

Reactions: jfrech

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
One more thing
Did you order single binding posts ?
Majority is a biwire as far as I know.
But there is not a big but rather small benefit of biamping .

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
One more thing
Did you order single binding posts ?
Majority is a biwire as far as I know.
But there is not a big but rather small benefit of biamping .
Actually, most Rockport's are single wired. My former Altairs were the same...

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Spectacular setup JFrech. Does the door behind your right speaker have any influence on bass? Solid core door presumably? Just curious...frankly, the custom design setup is the way to go for sure. And it looks like you've outdone yourself on the level of thoroughness.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Spectacular setup JFrech. Does the door behind your right speaker have any influence on bass? Solid core door presumably? Just curious...frankly, the custom design setup is the way to go for sure. And it looks like you've outdone yourself on the level of thoroughness.
Hey Lloyd, great to hear from you. Yes, that door does. It is solid core. Nothing I could do about it given the room shape. I almost moved the door to the middle of the room, but it messed up my equipment and the center diffuser.

I am considering adding a Artnovian Eiger Wall Bass Trap to that door and maybe the wall the door opens into. I usually have the door closed when listening. I am not hearing anything unbalanced however with the traps currently just in one corner.

https://www.artnovion.com/product-categories/9-bass-trap/products/393-bass-trap-wall-range

Specially this model:

https://www.artnovion.com/products/633-eiger-w-bass-trap-wall/technical_file.pdf

These are the tunable sub traps I have on the other wall corner (3 of them):

https://artnovionassets.blob.core.w...68/Eiger_Sub_Trap_-_Corner_Technical_File.pdf

Reactions: sbo6 and christoph

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hey Lloyd, great to hear from you. Yes, that door does. It is solid core. Nothing I could do about it given the room shape. I almost moved the door to the middle of the room, but it messed up my equipment and the center diffuser.

I am considering adding a Artnovian Eiger Wall Bass Trap to that door and maybe the wall the door opens into. I usually have the door closed when listening. I am not hearing anything unbalanced however with the traps currently just in one corner.

https://www.artnovion.com/product-categories/9-bass-trap/products/393-bass-trap-wall-range

Specially this model:

https://www.artnovion.com/products/633-eiger-w-bass-trap-wall/technical_file.pdf

These are the tunable sub traps I have on the other wall corner (3 of them):

https://artnovionassets.blob.core.w...68/Eiger_Sub_Trap_-_Corner_Technical_File.pdf
Great stuff! So just so I understand, you have corner traps that work around 32hz up to around 50hz or so. Simple question: one sets up a room without any of these...thinks 'its pretty good'...and then someone put this sub bass trap into 2 corners. What happens?

I am not suggesting it instantly makes everything better...the whole set up has to be calibrated. My question is simply 'what does the subtrap actually do'? Most interested!

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Great stuff! So just so I understand, you have corner traps that work around 32hz up to around 50hz or so. Simple question: one sets up a room without any of these...thinks 'its pretty good'...and then someone put this sub bass trap into 2 corners. What happens?

I am not suggesting it instantly makes everything better...the whole set up has to be calibrated. My question is simply 'what does the subtrap actually do'? Most interested!
What happens? First I take out a entire corner of reflections, cleaning up a lot of the sound stage. As for the bass, took out lumpiness, added texture, delineation and over all deepens what I am hearing plus making the mids much more enjoyable. They are clearly addressing some room nodes...

Also, they are not "just working" from 32-50hz. That is just their maximum absorptive range.

1670170427987.png

Reactions: christoph

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
What happens? First I take out a entire corner of reflections, cleaning up a lot of the sound stage. As for the bass, took out lumpiness, added texture, delineation and over all deepens what I am hearing plus making the mids much more enjoyable. They are clearly addressing some room nodes...

Also, they are not "just working" from 32-50hz. That is just their maximum absorptive range.

View attachment 101171
Thank you! Very interesting reading...

Kris

Mar 4, 2019

View attachment 101171
Hi John
I was reviewing your system components.
This is one of the top systems here . Congratulations.
Are you happy with the Transparent Magnus Opus ?
Not sure if you tried the lower Opus or Reference and what is a sonic difference between the two ?

Also do you stream music and if so what do you use as server/ streamer ?

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Hi John
I was reviewing your system components.
This is one of the top systems here . Congratulations.
Are you happy with the Transparent Magnus Opus ?
Not sure if you tried the lower Opus or Reference and what is a sonic difference between the two ?

Also do you stream music and if so what do you use as server/ streamer ?
Thanks Kris !

Yes, I love the Transparent wiring. I had Ref XL, then went to Opus, then Opus Gen 5, then Magnum Opus then Magnum Opus Gen 6. All of them are good. As you go up you get better bass textures, lower noise, better resolution, more dynamics. Each step is a clear and easy to hear improve. (ouch on the cost...but your ears are happy)

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
This is great .
But yes very expensive.
Lyra has Transparent Reference inside so it is a good start.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing